VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Jubler (OS X version) and am trying to "stretch" the only .srt subtitle I could find for an old movie as it gradually loses sync: subtitles appear earlier and earlier as the movie progresses.

I don't want to have to hand-shift every single line of subtitles.

My video players are a PCH C-200 and C-300 and I'm syncing to full Blu-Ray copies (to m2ts video files), which I don't think MPlayer for OS X can play (Jubler supports MPlayer directly for subtitle syncing and feedback, but MPlayer hasn't been updated for Mac since I believe 2013).

I've gone pretty much deaf in my right ear due to a brain tumor, and my left crapped out on me when it became overly sensitive and I was exposed to loud sounds. That's why I need subtitles and many older videos may not have them as part of their Blu-Ray release.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the details of the movie fps with MediaInfo. Possibly the SRT file was done for a different fps. As the original is Blu ray the chances are it will be 23.96 fps and maybe the SRT was made for a 25 fps DVD release. If so you could try converting the SRT to a variety of fps and try. Are you sure the Blu ray doesn't contain subs? If you go back to the original disc and rip it with MakeMKV it will catch the subs as well. If you simple demux and only have the video/audio via the M2TS file it's been my experience the subs won't be there. The C300 should handle PGS subs as long as they are contained within a MKV container. I have a C200 retired to the store room and currently use My A-500 as it seems to handle everything including all manner of subs. Definitely the best media player I had so far.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for a those tips.

As my PCH's allow the use of external subtitle files, I don't want to spend any time ripping Blu-Ray movies into any other format, which would defeat the purpose of having these discontinued machines: to have full Blu-Ray menu functionality. (Not to mention all that time converting movies, which I did long, long ago and don't want to have to return to doing). I want to learn how to modify an .srt file to synchronize with AVCHD videos as this is not the first time I found myself in this situation.

The video in question does not have any subtitles period; checked long ago with MediaInfo. And the video itself is 23.976fps; not sure what source the .srt file I found was meant for, but it's the only English subtitle file for this movie; I've checked all the popular subtitle sources (Subscene, OpenSubtitles.org, etc.).

How would I go about converting this .srt file to sync with 23.976? Again, I'm on OS X and Jubler is the only subtitle editor that I could find that is still in active development.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some MACS can run PC programs under emulation. I'm not a MAC person. Subtitle Workshop can do it easily as there is a input fps and an output fps switch on the front screen. I am aware there aren't too many subtitle programs available on MACs so you may have to go onto a MAC forum to find out unless someone here chimes in.....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The other complication is the film cut for the blu Ray release may well be different in a few areas. Check the timing of the movie as you have and then go to IMDB and check what the official? timing is...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe do it on line, make a few copies at different frame rates and see how they fit? http://subtitlefix.com/index.php At least that overcomes the MAC v PC problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Thanks for a those tips.

As my PCH's allow the use of external subtitle files, I don't want to spend any time ripping Blu-Ray movies into any other format, which would defeat the purpose of having these discontinued machines: to have full Blu-Ray menu functionality. (Not to mention all that time converting movies, which I did long, long ago and don't want to have to return to doing). I want to learn how to modify an .srt file to synchronize with AVCHD videos as this is not the first time I found myself in this situation.

The video in question does not have any subtitles period; checked long ago with MediaInfo. And the video itself is 23.976fps; not sure what source the .srt file I found was meant for, but it's the only English subtitle file for this movie; I've checked all the popular subtitle sources (Subscene, OpenSubtitles.org, etc.).

How would I go about converting this .srt file to sync with 23.976? Again, I'm on OS X and Jubler is the only subtitle editor that I could find that is still in active development.
    Well you could always convert a PGS subtitle to SRT using OCR enabled subtitle program, but not sure whats available on a MAC - if you doing this a lot maybe you should invest in a very basic Windows machine as far more free software is available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need a current latest bells and whistles program to do what you want to do. If you can find a MAC program not matter how old it is and will run on OS X and it will achieve your aim then use it. I do a lot of music composition and one program I use was an old Windows 95 program - I managed to get it going on Windows 7 and so far no one has come up with a new program with the functionality that doesn't cost an "arm and a leg".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You don't need a current latest bells and whistles program to do what you want to do. If you can find a MAC program not matter how old it is and will run on OS X and it will achieve your aim then use it. I do a lot of music composition and one program I use was an old Windows 95 program - I managed to get it going on Windows 7 and so far no one has come up with a new program with the functionality that doesn't cost an "arm and a leg".
    Yea, doesn't have to have all the latest features, however, typically long discontinued applications no longer run on the latest OS X, and there is no "compatibility" setting in OS X to get such older programs running, especially PPC and Classic OS versions.

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Some MACS can run PC programs under emulation. I'm not a MAC person. Subtitle Workshop can do it easily as there is a input fps and an output fps switch on the front screen. I am aware there aren't too many subtitle programs available on MACs so you may have to go onto a MAC forum to find out unless someone here chimes in.....
    I will certainly give Subtitle Workshop a shot!

I didn't mention that I have a triple-booting Windows setup on my Mac, a 2012 tower Mac Pro 2x3.46GHz Xeons 12-cores total with 64GB. So I can boot into Windows XP, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 10 Pro. I had preferred an OS X solution, but I'm not bound nor limited to just OS X.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also recommend Subtitle Edit. It has many sync options and can do stretching by percentage as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    3 screenshots of subtitle editing programs.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Subtitles Sync.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	41177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	subtitleEdit.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	41178  

Click image for larger version

Name:	subtitleworkshop.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	41179  

Quote Quote