VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. More than 97% of all e-mails sent over the net are unwanted, according to a Microsoft security report.

The e-mails are dominated by spam adverts for drugs, and general product pitches and often have malicious attachments.

The report found that the global ratio of infected machines was 8.6 for every 1,000 uninfected machines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7988579.stm

I have 3 email accounts.gmail,hotmail,and yahoo. gmail is the worst when it comes to spam email
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have many email accounts. For me, gmail has been the best.
    At work I have many email aliases. I just recently started getting a lot of spam to just one alias. Come to find out a company sold my info, they were the only ones that had this email address. Needless to say their CEO was a little miffed after I stopped a $50K deal from going through. I told them they can no long have our business based on them breaking their own privacy policy not to give or sell client info to a 3rd party.

If you don't respect your own policies, what are you going to do to clients in the end?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. it's hard for me to pinpoint who's responsible .I gave my email to may companies from Credit cards,banks,utilities
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by stiltman
    I have many email accounts. For me, gmail has been the best.
    At work I have many email aliases. I just recently started getting a lot of spam to just one alias. Come to find out a company sold my info, they were the only ones that had this email address. Needless to say their CEO was a little miffed after I stopped a $50K deal from going through. I told them they can no long have our business based on them breaking their own privacy policy not to give or sell client info to a 3rd party.

If you don't respect your own policies, what are you going to do to clients in the end?
    I'm curious how you were able to determine that they sold your info? They may have been the only ones you gave that email to, but they are not the only ones who could have it. I've had yahoo, hotmail, and comcast email accounts that I never gave to anyone, but I still received spam to them.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    I'm curious how you were able to determine that they sold your info? They may have been the only ones you gave that email to, but they are not the only ones who could have it. I've had yahoo, hotmail, and comcast email accounts that I never gave to anyone, but I still received spam to them.
    Oh that's easy. This account was only around 2 weeks old. Only email directed straight to me in the TO or CC line is let through our spam filters. If it's a BCC it goes to junk mail. The only other ways I could get spammed to this address was a direct brut force attack on our external mail servers, which hasn't happened, or their system was compromised, which I would then still pull our $$$ out for this deal.

BTW, these are not net email account, but accounts specific to our domains and the MX records are controlled by us. Never compare that to hotmail/yahoo.
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a regular email program, PocoMail, not a webmail service. I use my ISP's server. I can adjust my spam filters in quite a few ways and block most all of it, so no problems.

I use one email address for friends and trusted people and another for mail order and most everything else. If the mail order one gets over spammed, I delete it and use one of my four or five back up addresses. I keep a list of the sites I use my email addresses with, so not too bad to update them all. I also only give out my email to companies or sites that really need it.

I have very rarely got random spam email. But that may be because I don't use webmail.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My mistake, I blended your "Many email addresses, ... gmail has been the best" with the rest of your story.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    My mistake, I blended your "Many email addresses, ... gmail has been the best" with the rest of your story.
    Should have put an extra line space in there

Man, you should see my oldest hotmail account, its got to be 7 years now. Talk about spam
    I only use it now as a spam honey pot. You know, you need to fillout a form to get access to a site or resources.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Believe it or not, I use Outlook's junk mail filter and it works remarkably well. I get a boat load in my enosoft.net account for obvious reasons. My other accounts are reasonably free of spam. I've had my oldest account since 1993, use it heavily and get virtually no spam because I don't publicize it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got 5 email addresses (webmail based) that I access from home via Outlook.
    Almost never get any spam.
    The vast majority of my email is auto-notifications from forum threads... Still only getting about 10 emails a day.
    You get what you ask for, and when you type your email address into any old site you come across you'd better expect to get spammed in return.
    Just from clicking on user names in this thread I now know that GadgetGuys name is Eric and I have his email address.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hotmail has always been the worst for unsolicted emails. My gmail accounts gets very little spam, and it is always tagged. My ISP filters for spam, and does a pretty good job. I also use Mail Washer pro on my home account, which lets me see what is on the server, and delete it without downloading it. Mostly I use it to get rid of crap my wife has subscribed to.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    ...My ISP filters for spam, and does a pretty good job.
    This is nice, but can be a pain in the ass sometimes. They've been blocking a newsletter I've subscribed to and I keep missing out on some sweet deals...
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I also use Mail Washer pro on my home account, which lets me see what is on the server, and delete it without downloading it. Mostly I use it to get rid of crap my wife has subscribed to.
    :P My ol' lady is always bitching about how much spam she gets... Giving out that email addy all the time is just asking for it!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can create and manage filters for my ISP's spam filter. It also tells me when it is with-holding emails so I can check them before deleting or recieving them. It has a retention period of 14 days for all "possibly spam but not definite enough to delete" emails.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Gmail has one of the best email junk filtering, and it's called Postini
    Quote Quote  
  15. my half dozen hotmail throw away accounts are all set up to only allow pre-approved addresses through. no spam gets to thunderbird which collects my mail from all sources into one inbox. i check the filtered spam boxes at hotmail once a week to make sure i didn't make a mistake and not allow real mail through. without the hotmail filtering i'd have hundreds of spam mails a day, it's just absurd the amount of medical "enhancements" they offer, "please grope me" requests, give us your personal financial and password scams and how many "help me import" money schemes there are. i can't believe anyone is dopey enough to fall for any of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use my server email only for ebay & my gmail acct. for craigslist stuff. I have several hotmail accts. that I use for specific people & different forums. I've had my primary hotmail acct. for a long time and have had good luck without having spam mail. I use it for my online ordering. When I have a friend/relative that sends me forwarded crap from others I add them to the block senders list!
    Quote Quote