VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to posting to this forum but have been capturing and editing audio/video (with the help of this forum) since about 2000, with many years of not doing anything with in between. I am again interested for the purpose of salvaging many old commercial VHS movies from our collection. Much of the discussion on this forum is now several years dated (most before 2005).

I have a Plextor Convertx M402u. It is DivX capable and will only record the VHS in DivX (the macrovision distorts the MPEG capture even with an Optex Video Stabilizer); however the DivX captures have an audio sync problem (about 5 seconds) which cannot be corrected during the capture process.

I would prefer not to use a computer and not to reauthor anything. The simpler the better.

I thought I found the perfect solution with the Neuros OSD Media Center (http://www.neurostechnology.com/osd) because it is supposed to capture ANYTHING to an external USB hard drive, but they appear to have stopped manufacturing for a couple of years now and the Amazon shopping site has mixed reviews about the capability. This forum, probably containing the most expert opinions on the net, says very little about it.

Questions are: 1) Anyone had experience they can share about the Neuros OSD? 2) Anyone know of anything comparable?

On the second question, ideally, I am looking for one device, but if I have to stack it up with more than one device, I would consider it. For example, I also considered obtaining a Bell HD Recorder with support for an external harddrive and feeding the VCR composite out through a Video Stabilizer and then through either another VCR or RF modulator to create the coax into the HD Recorder. Any other ideas? Links to currently available products would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Never heard of either of the hardware pieces you mentioned, but I can say that your Bell idea won't work for several reasons, not the least being that all files on the hard drive will be encrypted with a method no one knows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Neuros OSD never made it out of Beta. They started selling it while it was full of bugs, and it never materialized into what was promised it would be.

It had great packaging, a slick website, and talked the talk, but never walked the walk. I got mine for half price as a beta tester, but I'll never do that for any product again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Budwzr,

Did you beta test the capturing capability, or just the playback capability? What problems did you encounter?

There are 78 reviews at the following link; however, most of the writers do not have much experience with video manipulation, which is why I am posting here.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HXGIHE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has issues in all areas. Many of the bugs are deep and don't reveal right away. The interface is clunky, it crashes a lot, has issues with some network shares, it's way underpowered, the list goes on.

I don't remember doing captures, but I think they are interlaced. Playback was sketchy too.

An example of how quirky that company is, is that they tried to change the GUI to a different type that needed more memory, so they sent all the users a memory chip to stick in the SD slot for the GUI to use. CHEESY!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are willing to capture - use a Hauppauge PVR card in the PC - they have a built in mpeg2 encoder - so do not use your processor to encode - few if any dropped frames. If not, locate a decent TBC and DVD recorder - record to -RW media, then author it. The older Hauppauge cards do not see macrovision (I can't say for the newer ones), and can save a DVD ready mpg2 file to your hard drive for authoring.

I use a Panny AG1980, >> Hauppauge PVR-250 >> TDA3 for my process.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Vaporeon,

The Plextor ConvertX hyperlink in my original post was not put there by me (may have been added by a bot). This device has been discussed on this forum here: https://www.videohelp.com/capturecards/plextor-convertx-pvr-px-tv402u/502 It is usually a pretty good unit, but for the present purpose, it is not satisfactory.

Thanks Budwzr. From the 78 reviews on Amazon, plus yours, it seems that soem of the Neuros OSDs worked, others did not.

If the Neuros OSD is not an option, I would still like to find something like it. Any suggestions??

Classfour, your proposal would be too time consuming to be practical. It does not meet the criteria set out: 1) I do not want to reauthor; 2) the simpler the better.

Classfour, your post has also highlighted another problem touched on in my first post. That is, most of the prior discussions on the subject are several years dated. Therefore, what used to be true of the Hauppauge devices ignoring macrovision may not be true today (and finding the answer to the question for the new capture devices, Hauppauge or otherwise, is no easy task).
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Plextor ConvertX link provided by the bot is INCORRECT. Should be https://www.videohelp.com/capturecard...-px-tv402u/502
    Quote Quote