VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a "newbie of newbies" question: what is the safest way to label DVDs (I heard that ink labeling may damage DVD drives), and how to store them if I bought blank DVDs as a pack of 25 (50, 100) without individual envelopes ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There was a post about this a while back. It basically found that a good number of people have issues with labelling DVDs. CDs are 1 layer which is fine to put labels on. But DVDs have 2 labels glued together. For some people have had issues where they label a dvd and it starts skipping, probably because of the added weight of the label.

On the other hand there are some people who label DVDs and have no problems. But to be safe, I wouldn't label them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would use core labels, myself. Don't have any issues with them, nor have I heard anyone else have problem with them either.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by petro12
    I have a "newbie of newbies" question: what is the safest way to label DVDs (I heard that ink labeling may damage DVD drives), and how to store them if I bought blank DVDs as a pack of 25 (50, 100) without individual envelopes ?
    The fack of ink damaging DVD drives isnt true.....I have used several printable DVD's that I have printed on and never had a problem. Sticky labels are a no-no for DVD's since they can cause weight and balance issues.

If you dont want to use printable DVD's, then you can use the old-fashioned Sharpie markers (the type made for writing on CD/DVD media). Those work just as well.

VTM
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Tommyknocker mentioned "core labels". What are they ?

Also, what about storage ? Is stacking them up one upon another is Ok ? When I bought a pack of blank DVDs (TDK), I found that upper 2 disks are separated by small plastic rings - still not sure what they are for.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When I bought a pack of blank DVDs (TDK), I found that upper 2 disks are separated by small plastic rings - still not sure what they are for.
    Those rings are to keep the dvds from moving up and down in the spindle. If you remove the rings and replace the top, you will notice that there is a gap where the dvds could move, and possibly be damaged.
    Quote Quote