VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys!

New to this forum

So I'm learning web development and trying to use some videos as assets.

This is the video I'm using

http://www.manofsteel.com/vid/homeVideo2.mp4

As you can see, it's short, and has no sound. The current dimensions are also 800x330

It's only 1.6MB too when downloaded. I'm trying to resize the frame dimensions and make it a little smaller -- but regardless of the compression codec, the output size gets really large. A bit baffled how a 1.6mb file can get larger when you're trying to reduce the content.. (but then again I'm a newbie with video editing).

Is there a way to keep the file size the same while keeping the quality similar? I have the basic codecs only.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a high compression codec like xvid or x264vfw. Then:

Code:
    size = bitrate * running time
    So to get a small file use a low bitrate. To get a file about the same size as the one you linked set the bitrate to 1000 kbps.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Aug 2016 at 23:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the response!

I managed to get it down to 4.4mb which is def better than 100mb!

but I'm also trying to get the output to be in mp4.

I went and read this thread

https://encodingtalk.com/threads/virtualdub-save-direct-to-mp4-fraps-to-youtube-with-e...encoders.2446/

I managed to get most of it except for the file path. I can't find a single file named x264.exe. When i install the encoder, the only .exe file I get is the uninstallation file...

i have to say, i didn't expect video to take up most of my time going into my project haha. i just need to get the proper video files and i can code the rest of my project bleh..
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can go for VP9 (should be supported by modern browsers from the box).

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -loglevel 32 -color_range 2 -i %1 -an -c:v libvpx-vp9 -speed 1 -quality best -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -crf 24 -vf hqdn3d=4,scale=640:-2:sws_flags=spline:sws_dither=6:in_range=1:out_range=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p -dash 1 %~n1_.webm
    Quote Quote