VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I captured, edited and burned a home movie from my old Digital8 camcorder to DVD+r using Pinnacle Studio 12, but when I play it on my PS3 it won't upscale.

I am using component cables, but for unencrypted DVD+r's that shouldn't matter (I am able to upscale a DVD that I ripped to DVD+r a while ago with great results). I have also tried each of the upscaling options on the PS3, and none work. It always goes back to 480p.

Anyone know why? Should I not be burning with Pinnacle Studio? What program should I use? (I forgot what I used to burn that DVD that works )
    Quote Quote  
  2. bump
    Last edited by jth182; 11th Mar 2010 at 17:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does anyone use their PS3 to watch home movies? Does it upscale them for you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I watch all sorts of stuff on it, from homemade DVDs to files encoded by all manner of methods. And it happily upscales all of it. I do connect over HDMI, which is different to your set up. I have the latest firmware release installed as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    I watch all sorts of stuff on it, from homemade DVDs to files encoded by all manner of methods. And it happily upscales all of it. I do connect over HDMI, which is different to your set up. I have the latest firmware release installed as well.

Hmm, well thanks for you're input. Maybe it has something to do with my camcorder and the format it puts out? It's about a 10 year old Sony Digital8.

It's either that or Pinnacle because the one DVD I ripped and backed up upconverts wonderfully, so it IS possible with my setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD is a DVD. If they are compliant, they will play the same way. Your camera won't have any effect on the out come either, as you have to convert the camera files to compliant DVD files for authoring.

Something else is different between the disc you believe worked, and the disc that doesn't.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    A DVD is a DVD. If they are compliant, they will play the same way. Your camera won't have any effect on the out come either, as you have to convert the camera files to compliant DVD files for authoring.

Something else is different between the disc you believe worked, and the disc that doesn't.

That's what I can't figure out because the disc file structure is the same on both discs. They both have Video_TS folders with .VOB's and what not.

The DVD that works plays @ 1080i and will not allow me to adjust the pic size thru the TV, whereas the home movie plays @ 480p and will let the TV do either zoom, stretch, normal, or full.

The only thing I can figure would be different is that I use Pinnacle Studio to edit and burn the DVD... but when I use AVStoDVD to burn the .AVI to disc, it still doesn't work.
    Last edited by jth182; 11th Mar 2010 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI is usually required for upscaling.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    HDMI is usually required for upscaling.

For encrypted DVDs only. I have a backed up DVD that upscales fine on my system.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Interlaced vs progressive content?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Full D1 versus something less ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Full D1 versus something less ?

I kept the file in full D1, and the camcorder files are interlaced... I tried burning another DVD with no encryption (A fan edit of Star Wars called Star Wars Revisited) and it doesn't upscale either.

So now I'm lost. I have ONE DVD that upconverts and the rest don't. That's messed up. I think I may just give up on this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Examine your DVD VOB files with GSpot. What does it show in the Pics/s field on the discs that will upscale vs the discs that won't. And what about the little I/L underneath it? Lit or not?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Examine your DVD VOB files with GSpot. What does it show in the Pics/s field on the discs that will upscale vs the discs that won't. And what about the little I/L underneath it? Lit or not?
    Here are screen shots of GSPOT, on the left is the DVD that upconverts and the right is my home movie. I circled differences between the two. (I just noticed the pics/s are different by .006)

Click image for larger version

Name:	52221053.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	862
    Quote Quote  
  15. The one that upscales is encoded progressive with 3:2 pulldown flags (soft telecined). The one that doesn't work is hard telecined (interlaced). So there's your difference: progressive vs. interlaced. The colorimetry (S170) probably isn't the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The one that works properly is encoded progressive with 3:2 pulldown flags (soft telecined). The one that doesn't work is hard telecined. So there's your difference: progressive vs. interlaced. The colorimetry (S170) probably isn't the issue.
    Any way to correct this?
    Quote Quote  
  17. You could deinterlace or inverse telecine the interlaced video but the damage done by that will probably make it look worse than just letting the TV upscale the original.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the source and the condition of the files you have to work with. If the source was shot on video at 29.970 fps then no, there really isn't anything you can do about. however, if the original was shot on film, and your source files have not been butchered, you may be able to inverse telecine back to 23.976 fps, then re-encode and add pulldown to get to a progressive DVD that may upscale.

There are a lot of assumptions here : the source was shot on the film, the files you have have not been blended badly or resized badly, and that this is actually the cause of the problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ah, well thanks for your help... The footage was shot using Digital8, so it sounds like I'm just S.O.L.?

EDIT: I didn't realize the pics/s were actually off by 6.006... guess I need glasses! lol

EDIT2: I checked the Star Wars Revisited DVD that doesn't upconvert, and everything is the same as the one that does, weird.
    Last edited by jth182; 15th Mar 2010 at 17:59.
    Quote Quote