VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just passing along a VERY expensive lesson. I bought an HDMI capture card off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Input-Video-Capture-PCI-E-Card-HD72A-1080i-1080P-Camcorde...3D380708185941

and I got scammed. The card did not work! It kept crashing and you could not use it with vdub or any other software out there. Linux did not work either.

I returned it and the ebay seller http://www.ebay.com/usr/enjoyshopping365 "claimed" it never got there. The cost from UPS to ship it back was $130 (the card only cost $65). I sent it via USPS and stupidly thought you could track with only a customs declaration.

The "seller" asked that I not file a case or leave negative feedback as he said he would take care of it. Well after 30 days you lose ALL your rights from ebay and the seller can do whatever it wants, including keeping your money --which it did.

I even filed a Better Business Bureau complaint and ebay stood its ground negating their PHONY money back guarantee.

Word of advise **DO NOT ORDER CAPTURE CARDS FROM EBAY or CHINA**

You will be giving your money away and still won't be able to capture video.

I know I did not use the " i will be scammed" attitude and did not protect myself. So I am passing along my story of what NOT to do.

Don't be stupid like me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why did you spend $130 to return a $65 item?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by esponapule View Post
    Just passing along a VERY expensive lesson. I bought an HDMI capture card off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Input-Video-Capture-PCI-E-Card-HD72A-1080i-1080P-Camcorde...3D380708185941

and I got scammed. The card did not work! It kept crashing and you could not use it with vdub or any other software out there. Linux did not work either.

I returned it and the ebay seller http://www.ebay.com/usr/enjoyshopping365 "claimed" it never got there. The cost from UPS to ship it back was $130 (the card only cost $65). I sent it via USPS and stupidly thought you could track with only a customs declaration.

The "seller" asked that I not file a case or leave negative feedback as he said he would take care of it. Well after 30 days you lose ALL your rights from ebay and the seller can do whatever it wants, including keeping your money --which it did.

I even filed a Better Business Bureau complaint and ebay stood its ground negating their PHONY money back guarantee.

Word of advise **DO NOT ORDER CAPTURE CARDS FROM EBAY or CHINA**

You will be giving your money away and still won't be able to capture video.

I know I did not use the " i will be scammed" attitude and did not protect myself. So I am passing along my story of what NOT to do.

Don't be stupid like me.
    Only an idiot would buy something from an Ebayer with 711 Negative feedbacks in 12 months.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i did not spend the $130 i sent through the post office fo $15 (without tracking)

yes hech54 I already know I am an idiot. thanks for letting me know again. I dont use ebay often and did not realize how shaddy the place is.

I KNOW I AM STUPID. my post is just to WARN others. Don't be stupid like me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i did not spend the $130 i sent through the post office fo $15 (without tracking)

yes hech54 I already know I am an idiot. thanks for letting me know again. I dont use ebay often and did not realize how shaddy the place is.

I've never had a problem with either Ebay or Paypal.....because I do my homework. It took me all of 3 seconds to find out how many negative feedbacks that seller had.
    Are there dirtballs on Ebay? Yes
    Are there dirtballs in this world? Yes
    Did you get your millions from that Nigerian prince who e-mailed you?
    Did your penis get bigger after you bought those doctor approved miracle pills?
    Ebay isn't a "shaddy" place but it does contain some scamming dirtballs who prey on stupid people.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I misread your post. I buy quite a bit of ebay stuff from China and Hong Kong; occasionally something is substandard, but usually the merchandise is just fine - and much cheaper than local sources. Don't let one bad experience turn you off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Only an idiot would buy something from an Ebayer with 711 Negative feedbacks in 12 months.
    711 negative, 48302 positive. Could be worse.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks heck54 for letting me know how stupid i am it again and again and again and again......

PLEASE keep making me feel worse. you are so awesome i bow down to your greatness. you are SOOO much better than the Chinese scumbag that ripped me off. I hope you enjoy living with your awesome self with your eBay prowess . please don't mind us stupid idiots getting in the way of your awesome life. All i was trying to do is warn people form buying that capture card but you have to let others know how great YOU are. THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    I misread your post. I buy quite a bit of ebay stuff from China and Hong Kong; occasionally something is substandard, but usually the merchandise is just fine - and much cheaper than local sources. Don't let one bad experience turn you off.

yes my point was this particular capture card and the phony "ebay buyer protection" if something goes wrong.

thanks you for being cordial.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks heck54 for letting me know how stupid i am it again and again and again and again......

PLEASE keep making me feel worse. you are so awesome i bow down to your greatness. you are SOOO much better than the Chinese scumbag that ripped me off. I hope you enjoy living with your awesome self with your eBay prowess . please don't mind us stupid idiots getting in the way of your awesome life. All i was trying to do is warn people form buying that capture card but you have to let others know how great YOU are. THANKS!
    Then stop bashing EBAY in general and bash the clown with 711 negative feedbacks.
    iI dont use ebay often and did not realize how shaddy the place is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by esponapule View Post
    You will be stupid if you repeat same mistake twice - you've learn something and usually education is not for free...
    Now relax and next time select better sale offer also invest in protection (like insurance and buyer protection and tracking).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I got scammed on Ebay once several years ago. I ordered a unlocked cell phone from Hong Kong. It never showed. After a few weeks of sending emails to the seller, I gave him the most negative review I could.

He closed shop and resurfaced again under a different seller name. He did have questionable feedback, my fault for not paying attention. I think much of the positive feedback he had, he created himself. I suspect he just bought a handful of refurbished cell phones on the street and sold them on line. After he ran out, he kept taking in money, but didn't ship out any phones. I believe I paid with a credit card. I now use PayPal.

Hundreds of Ebay purchases since then, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Did your penis get bigger after you bought those doctor approved miracle pills?

Most of my eBay purchases have been successful. One thing I wouldn't recommend is buying hard drives. Some sellers buy them by bulk under the understanding that "some work, some don't". Instead of testing them before selling, they let you buy them and inform them if they don't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just wonder if you found this forum too late.

I see atleast one feedback post of this product which appears to have worked so maybe, just maybe, the failure to get it working was down to you and not the product.

Maybe, just maybe, a few posts on here when you still had the item could have helped. Too late now.

BTW what were you trying to capture over hdmi ? Have you heard of hdcp ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I got scammed on Ebay once several years ago. I ordered a unlocked cell phone from Hong Kong. It never showed. After a few weeks of sending emails to the seller, I gave him the most negative review I could.

He closed shop and resurfaced again under a different seller name. He did have questionable feedback, my fault for not paying attention. I think much of the positive feedback he had, he created himself. I suspect he just bought a handful of refurbished cell phones on the street and sold them on line. After he ran out, he kept taking in money, but didn't ship out any phones. I believe I paid with a credit card. I now use PayPal.
    There are ebay sellers (usually from china) that will create an account and sell ten's of thousands of dollar items and be very good with any issues, even shipping replacements free of charge. They're looking to build a high ranking, then they start selling high price items of questionable quality/origin and inexperienced buyers get screwed. Eventually the seller gets banned and all traces of his sales are removed by ebay (this is bad on their part). I've had a couple items removed from my bought list and thought it odd since I never had problems with my purchases.

You get 45 days from the time of purchase (not payment) to file with the problem resolution center, it's your only protection and not doing so absolves ebay of any responsibility. Even if your seller begs for no bad review there's no black mark until the case is resolved at which point you could even give a positive review.

Ebay displays an ETA for your purchase, when the time is up contact the seller ASAP, if he offers to send a refund or replacement ask for refund and say you will re-order; this will reset the 45 days protection. Keep track of your refund and if it doesn't happen by the 44th day start a claim. Obviously, a guy just taking money with no stock on hand won't give a hoot if he's banned, but at least ebay protection will cover you (if you use paypal).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    99.9% of the time I agree with hech, but....

Ebay isn't a "shaddy" place but it does contain some scamming dirtballs who prey on stupid people.
    Yes, Ebay, are themselves, as shady as insurance companies!!

I use Ebay with great caution, as a buyer and a seller!!!
    They do not look out for anyone BUT THEMSELVES!!!!!

Any way they can find for an excuse to not cover a buyer and be out of pocket from the millions if not billions they make, they will!!!

It has been well over a decade since I was actually ripped off by someone on Ebay, but I have seen & experienced enough to know not to trust
    Ebay if or when I do get screwed on Ebay again!!

But yes, most sellers are honest and good, but when there are millions of sellers you must expect at least a few thousand if not into the hundreds of thousands of shady @$$holes on Ebay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    99.9% of the time I agree with hech, but....

Yes, Ebay, are themselves, as shady as insurance companies!!
    I do understand that.
    I've been dealing with that type of situation for 4 years now with my son's school.
    Long story short, a school principal who will do ANYTHING to not allow any kind of official paperwork or complaints be filed
    on continuously disruptive, bully, *******, jackoff and now destructive kids in her school. Those reports would go "up the chain"
    and be in the school's very public evaluation records/statistics.....and those records can be used by anyone who is thinking of sending their kid to that school.
    She is protecting her job and school at any cost.
    Businesses DO do that as well. No doubt.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read about ebay buyers having problems with international listings, especially involving Chinese sellers, so I make a practice of dealing with US sellers on ebay. Turns out that you have to do more than that. I'm currently I'm dealing with a negative situation on ebay. Although this storefront is supposed to be US seller, it turns out the real operator of that storefront is a Chinese company. Their return policy statement printed in the listing said that if they send the wrong item and the customer requests an exchange, they will pay return shipping. Well, guess what, they refused to honor that policy. They still have the listing for the item I purchased, so in theory it should be possible to make the exchange, but all they will do is refund my money, and then only if I pay return shipping. Ebay has been no help. BTW feedback on this storefront was 98% positive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Apr 2014 at 00:41.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I was duped by an eBayer of some item - which never arrived - worth 2 US dollars.

The seller was from my own country who vanished with mailing address and contact numbers!
    eBay went into legalese and I dropped the matter as 'bad experience'.

But, I am neither stupid nor ignorant.

As the saying goes - 'Once bitten, twice wise'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My brother sold me his old hard drive....
    Didn't work .......
    Didn't get my money back .... (my big brother)
    I will never buy from my brother again....
    And that's the way it is .........
    Quote Quote  
  21. I bought some very cheap memory chips from a listing that did not include the word "new" anywhere. Sure enough, they were obviously pulls from unspecified circuit boards. They work flawlessly. You just never know.
    Quote Quote