VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ive heard that dell has hardware that is only fit for their computers. i have terrible ocd and adhd so i want to figure out if dell ram can fit with an hp m1170n computer. it might seem stupid im sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think older Dell power supplies and possibly motherboards used to be unique to Dell PCs, but I've never heard of special RAM. You should be able to use any RAM that has the correct specifications. The HP M1170n laptop seems to use DDR-400 (PC3200) DIMM Memory. No idea what the Dell you are asking about uses. But you can look it up on line.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Visit crucial.com and enter your Dell model number and you'll get the RAM specs. Match it up with the specs for your HP (here's a link to the HP page: http://www.crucial.com/search/searchresults.aspx?keywords=m1170n). And if they match, you're good to go!

As redwuz said, Dell had / has a lot of odd proprietary parts, but RAM isn't one of them. That said, some Dells (primarily servers) use less common RDRAM or ECC RAM which can only be used in compatible systems.
    Quote Quote