VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I have recently had several items stolen from my yard. I have set up a Swann "outback cam" to monitor my yard and have had some success getting video images of a car I believe is directly related to the thefts.

My issue is that I cannot read the number plate on the vehicle. It seems to be that the infra red light is too bright bouncing off the number plate and is sort of flaring up to bright to be readable.

I have attached the video to show what I mean.

I was wondering if anyone could help me to enhance the video in order to read the number plate?

Thank you for your time
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest34343
    There is no recoverable detail on the license plate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree no detail to enhance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What little "detail" there is is just DCT ringing (compression) artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i could be wrong, but, it looks to me that the person outsmarted you by placing something over the plate prior to pulling in. otherwise, i would do nothing about this insident, and let it happen again. only this time, situate your camera more appropirately.

either way, i would take a couple of test sample footage shots of your own car, simulate the position, angle and lighting effect as in the original posted clip. do the same thing the theif did...pulling in, shutting down the lights, getting out of the car with the flashlight, (frame 1141) etc. the point of this excercise is to see if you can see your own lic plates. if you can't see your lic plate then you need to do some additional tests with camera placement, otherwise, if you can see the lic plate, then the theif outsmarted you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i have to say, i always get a good laugh out of most of these camera "security" systems. it seems that all too often they don't capture anywhere near enough detail to be of any use, usually the combination of poor angles and poor lighting combine to basically slap the installer in the face.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In most cases, the camera does the job that is asked of it, but often it is not asked "can you give me accurate detail enough for fine identification?". If detailed identification is a requirement, then the bar gets raised higher WRT equipment quality (and accompanying cost).

You are also seeing really only the problem clips. Many more get used to passable or even helpful utility for their owners.

It is RARELY any fault of the installer. Most of the time, poor angles and/or lighting conditions are because of some real, unfortunate compromise (cost, time deadlines, rights-of-way, safety issues, even conspicuousness), determined by the client/owner after consultation with the installer. Of course, there are a few fly-by-night and clueless installers out there, too.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will still be taking my videos to the police in the hope that it might help in some way.

I do have another video of someone taking stuff out of my yard but not sure if this one can be enhanced if the other cant. I think this one has too much motion blur.

I would be grateful if someone could have a look and let me know what you think.

Many thanks in advance
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Enhance "to what point"? "Too much motion blur" for what? You need to clarify just what your expectations are.

It's clear to me from that video that you have a white male, ~175lbs, ~5'10"-6'01", between 20-35, no glasses, short hair, working alone. In many scenarios, that is ENOUGH (for identification/evidence/conviction, etc). If you needed enough clarity to be able to read some marking or lettering, not gonna happen.

If your camera is stationary, you can get a tape measure out and stand with it extended in (basically) the same spot the intruder did and get a reading on what his exact height is (doing a side-by-side comparison of the 2 images, and/or by using triangulation).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!