VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have GPU Nvidia GT220 / CPU Intel Core i3 / Samsung LCD 23 FullHD 1080p / RAM 4GB DDR3.

the problem:
    1080p movies are little choppy/lagging. I don't know what is this problem I think users call it 'Choppy video playback'
    but I can say what's exactly happens when I watch HD movies. While the camera is moving and the actor is running or moving, the picture becomes laggy (not smooth).
    I tried VLC, KMplayer and Potplayer and the issue happens with them all.

how can i make make movies run smoothly and high quality?
    which video renderer and video codec or decoder should i use to get to the high quality and get rid of choppy play.
    Last edited by Sameh; 12th Feb 2014 at 04:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open the task manager, play the movie and see if the performance->cpu usage reaches 100%?

Are you using a monitor? or connected to a TV?
    Quote Quote  
  3. CPU Usage is 15 to 20 while playing movies, it's digital monitor
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try also MPCHC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. same problem with mpc-hc ..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe it is because of mismatch between video fps and screen refresh rate. Install madVR and try it with Smooth Motion enabled (should be enabled by default). You can check that with CTRL + J while movie is running.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try smplayer, go into preferences->performance, set the local file stream cache to 8192Kb. I find this makes an enormous difference. VLC used to have cache settings, why they stopped I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Maybe it is because of mismatch between video fps and screen refresh rate. Install madVR and try it with Smooth Motion enabled (should be enabled by default). You can check that with CTRL + J while movie is running.
    quality improved.. but still lag..
    is my problem called Tearing?
    Last edited by Sameh; 13th Feb 2014 at 01:19.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Tearing is when picture splits horizontaly, so no. When you press CTRL + J does madVR reports increasing count of dropped of delayed frames over time?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Tearing is when picture splits horizontaly, so no. When you press CTRL + J does madVR reports increasing count of dropped of delayed frames over time?
    yes it's increasing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Could be that you GT220 is a bit slow for madVR, or for your madVR settings. You can check that with GPU-Z. Download and run GPU-Z while you play your file. It will show you GPU utilization. You may also want to post screenshot that contains madVR statistics (after playing file for 10-20 seconds) so we can see where where the problem is. Something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-13_133024.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	23546
    Quote Quote  
  12. screenshots

Thanks man for your help
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CTRLJ.png
Views:	1035
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	23547  

Name:	GPUZ.png
Views:	1137
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	23548  

Quote Quote  
  13. Backbuffer queue is empty. If you did not take this screenshot when video playback was paused, that is the reason for choppy playback. GPU is not weak, 21% load so that is not a problem. Rendering time of 21,71ms confirms that.
    Two questions:
    1. What is your OS and playback setup (player, decoder, version)?
    2 Why is your decoder decodes in YUY2 mod? It should be NV12 for 4:2:0 8bit video.
    Posible solutions:
    1. In madVR settings (accesible during video playback) under rendering - general activate automatic full screen exclusive mod
    2. increase backbuffer for windowed and full screen exclusive mode to 6 or 8 and upload queue to 10-12.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I took screenshot while the video is playing, and i tried solutions and i noticed improvement in the playback. i don't know why it uses YUY2!
    I have Win7 x64, Player: Potplayer 1.5 (32bit) ... More at screenshots
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	333.png
Views:	1051
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	23553  

Name:	444.png
Views:	1245
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	23554  

Quote Quote  
  15. Ah, that's PotP's internal transformation. Anyway, check madVR's stats to see if you still have empty backbuffer and dropped frames. Perhaps some little tweaks of GPU flushes will be needed if you still have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i found this topic yesterday
    http://www.reddit.com/r/software/comments/1kzz1q/mpcbe_with_madvr_better_upscaling_quality_than/
    so i tested mpc-be today. and i really liked it. mpc-be's backbuffer is 7, dropped frames is too low and stable. and choppy problem gone, everything is now great.. now i'm using mpc-be
    thank you very much Detmek.
    little question. the backbuffer appears only in window mode and it disappears from stats when i switch to full screen! is that normal? and what happens if i increased the values of queue?
    Quote Quote  
  17. the backbuffer in windowed mode is good
    but the 'Present queue' is full screen mode is 1-8 and sometimes 0-8
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Try smplayer, go into preferences->performance, set the local file stream cache to 8192Kb. I find this makes an enormous difference.
    Placebo? How does a larger hard drive cache make a difference?

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    VLC used to have cache settings, why they stopped I don't know.
    I must have pointed it out a dozen times by now..... they didn't.
    Did you notice performance drop after you thought the settings had been removed?

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	1022
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	23576
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Sameh View Post
    the backbuffer in windowed mode is good
    but the 'Present queue' is full screen mode is 1-8 and sometimes 0-8
    So, it should be stable in windowed mode. There is no increasing of dropped or delayed frames?

Originally Posted by Sameh View Post
    i found this topic yesterday
    http://www.reddit.com/r/software/comments/1kzz1q/mpcbe_with_madvr_better_upscaling_quality_than/
    so i tested mpc-be today. and i really liked it. mpc-be's backbuffer is 7, dropped frames is too low and stable. and choppy problem gone, everything is now great.. now i'm using mpc-be
    thank you very much Detmek.
    little question. the backbuffer appears only in window mode and it disappears from stats when i switch to full screen! is that normal? and what happens if i increased the values of queue?
    Yes, it is normal for backbuffer do disapire in FSE when you use "new rendering path" (present several frames in advance).

Increasing queue values keeps more decoded frames in memory. Thus, it uses more memory. If you have slower computer it will slow down seeking as more frames need to be decoded when you jump to some frame. But, in theory and sometimes in practice larger queue improves stability of playback.

About guide you linked and my last statement. When it comes to setting up madVR (and most other software) there is no "one size fits all". You need to set up player and madVR in the way it will work stable on your computer. Just because something works on mine PC it doesn't mean it will work as good as on your PC. So, you need to find optimal settings for your PC and good guide should only present you a tips where to look for and explain some options.
    Last edited by Detmek; 14th Feb 2014 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  20. okay.. now the problem completely solved. i think madvr's smooth motion wasn't running well for me, so i tried SmoothVideo Project and really i has a very great result, first i tried SVP with Madvr and i found no increasing of dropped or delayed frames but (high GPU usage). so i switched to Default Renderer (this one works well) . now i'm using SVP with the default renderer. 1080p movies now running smoothly with great quality (no more choppy). Problem Solved
    i'd like to thank everyone who helped me in this great forum, and special thanks to Detmek... thanks man
    Quote Quote