VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I am trying to convert an AVI to DVD format.

I usually use TMPGenc, but with AC3 audio, I end up with a film with no audio.

Can I use Goldwave to convert the audio to a format that TMPGenc will understand & load that as the audio? Exactly what audio format should I choose & will it be in time with the pictures without doing any messing around?

I have read about AC3 decoders etc, but I am clueless on how to get them to work with TMPGenc!

I have tried WinAvi, DVD Flick, AVStoDVD, ConvertXtoDVD and DIKO, all of which failed miserably (some more miserably than others), so I want to go back to my old favourite TMPGenc & try to get it to work with AC3 audio.

Any idiots guide would be gratefully received.

Thanks ....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not think that TMTGEnc2.5 had AC3 encoder. I use 4.0 and that one will accept AC3 audio, but will output only Stereo AC3, not 5.1.
    Apparently they do not have a licence for that and does not look like they will get one, as per their answer "will increase a price of the software too much".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the AVI contains DVD compliant ac3, not need to re-encode it in Tmpgenc.
    Demux the AC3 from the AVI. Encode the video only in Tmpgenc,
    then at the authoring stage add the video m2v and ac3 from above.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I have tried WinAvi, DVD Flick, AVStoDVD, ConvertXtoDVD and DIKO, all of which failed miserably (some more miserably than others), so I want to go back to my old favourite TMPGenc & try to get it to work with AC3 audio.
    Do you still have the AVStoDVD project log file?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  5. _MrC_ - Unfortunately not, sorry = once I found it didn't work, I binned it.
    davexnet - Demux the AC3 from the AVI ... sorry - I'm thick as thick can be - how exactly do I do that? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use virtualdubmod or Avidemux.

In Vdubmod, open the file and select streams/stream list ( at the top) demux.

In avidemux version 2.6 ( http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ )
    open the file / audio (at the top) / save audio (give it the full name eg. aud.ac3).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you - I'll give it a go!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    _MrC_ - Unfortunately not, sorry = once I found it didn't work, I binned it.
    Next time, do not give up so soon and go here

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote