VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I edit mpeg files (by cutting selections) with avidemux, I set audio and video to copy and the format to mpeg PS. When I save the file I get a popup about encoding. Am I losing quality because the program is re-encoding the file? Is this the wrong tool to use to cut sections of mpeg files? I also get the same when I load VOB files.

Thanks for any information,

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Version of AviDeMux you using? I'm using Version 2.2.0 Preview2.

I do this all the time and it never re-encodes. The videos look just like they do when they go in. Just missing what I cut out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running Ubuntu Edgy which looks like it uses version 2.1.2 (I'm looking at the package list from their web site since I'm not home right now).

Are you saying you don't see the encoding popup when you save? What popup do you see (if any)? Also do you save to the same file (File->Save) or to another file (File->Save As)?

I'm not sure if I'm losing quality, I'm more concerned because of the information on the popup which implies re-encoding.

Finally, can I tell by how long the process takes? This is a four minute clip (about 600mb) and the saving takes < 1 minute.

Thanks,

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just double check it just now. I get a pop-up that say encoding. When I compare the results using xine.
    The only difference is the bit rate. I dont see any other difference. But I agre why is it even doing that.
    The resulting video clip dosn't look any difference than the orignal.

As far as time to save a 19:37 min video clips take 1:14 to save.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update:

When I run idvid from tovid. it say theirs no difference between the video clips.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the information. I'll look at tovid to compare my videos, but it at least kind of confirms that I am probably not losing quality. It might just be the way they designed the wording on the screen.

Steve
    Quote Quote