VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    All I want to is to join 2 sets of idx/sub files.

I used to do this easily in Windows with VobSub's subtitle joiner, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it in Linux. I use Ubuntu 10.04.

I have several open source subtitle applications in Ubuntu, none of them will work with anything other than text based subs.

I don't want to extract, convert, embed into the video- all I want to do is take vobsub set #1, and append vobsub set #2 to the end of it- period. That's all.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried running VobSub joiner using Wine? I don't do Ubuntu but most Linux distros come with Wine windows emulator. Then again the subtitle stuff may depend on DirectShow. Wouldn't hurt to try it though.

Old thread here, but maybe the technique still works:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=107843
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Have you tried running VobSub joiner using Wine? I don't do Ubuntu but most Linux distros come with Wine windows emulator. Then again the subtitle stuff may depend on DirectShow. Wouldn't hurt to try it though.

Old thread here, but maybe the technique still works:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=107843
    Hmmm, a fellow jazz fan... nice to meet ya'!

I do use Wine, and run several programs with it, but I couldn't get Vobsub to install.

There has to be a way to do this.

I'm getting desperate at this point. It's a pity to have to keep a Windows machine around just to use Vobsub.

Thanks for answering though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I used Linux quite a bit in the past. But Mandrake 9.1, as they called Mandriva then, was the last distro. Back then I was just getting into burning CDs. Didn't know anything about video(and dual booted to Windows to do stuff I couldn't do in Linux.) You would think there would be something that could do a join. I've only done simple things with AviSynth. I wonder if you could do something with that? The same doom9 site has an AviSynth Usage forum. Maybe someone there could help.

Glad you like jazz. The music for people with acuity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry I couldn't be more help. I used Linux quite a bit in the past. But Mandrake 9.1, as they called Mandriva then, was the last distro. Back then I was just getting into burning CDs. Didn't know anything about video(and dual booted to Windows to do stuff I couldn't do in Linux.) You would think there would be something that could do a join. I've only done simple things with AviSynth. I wonder if you could do something with that? The same doom9 site has an AviSynth Usage forum. Maybe someone there could help.

Glad you like jazz. The music for people with acuity.
    Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" is my #3 favorite jazz album, with #1 being Brubeck's immortal "Time Out" and Gerry Mulligan/Paul Desmond "Two of a Mind" coming in at #2.

I have SO many favorite jazz musicians...and I like all forms of jazz.

Not many people listen to jazz anymore, which is a shame.

I remember Mandrake. I tinkered with it, waaaay back. Never could make heads or tails of it. It wasn't until Ubuntu that Linux actually became usable for me.

I do lots of video stuff in Linux, and have found AviDemux and DeVeDe to be even better than the Windows stuff I was using.

For divx to dvd conversion- I still use ConvertXtoDVD, which runs in Wine, but may or may not do menu's depending on which version you use.

And BTW I use Nero to burn CD's and DVD's, just like I did in Windows. Nero has a native Linux version.

I don't know if AviSynth works with subs, but I'll give it a shot. I also posted this question over at the Ubuntu forums, maybe somebody there can help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you find a solution please post back. I'm curious. AviSynth can do quite a bit. There is even a filter for PGS subtitles. I'm not sure what it can do with image based idx/sub subtitles though. But I'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to concatenate them. It can do very complicated scripting and I've only scratched the surface. Simple stuff like resizing the video, burning in subs, removing jaggies etc..

On Linux, if you're curious, take a look at Mandriva One 2011:
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/

I loaded up Mandriva 10 OneCD just to see if it was basically the same as Mandrake 9.1. Very similar. If you have broadband it kicks ass. Boot one CD and select all your packages. It downloads and when you boot you come up in a Window Manager with all your apps installed. I tried Ubuntu a year or so ago and it seemed similar as it also uses APT, but nowhere near as polished as Mandrake/Mandriva. But to me APT is the main feature. I did Red Hat and their package manager required too many tweaks after setup. APT worked out of the box almost all the time.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 7th Jan 2012 at 18:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you find a solution please post back. I'm curious. AviSynth can do quite a bit.

On Linux, if you're curious, take a look at Mandriva One 2011:

I loaded up Mandriva 10 OneCD just to see if it was basically the same as Mandrake 9.1. Very similar. If you have broadband it kicks ass. Boot one CD and select all your packages. It downloads and when you boot you come up in a Window Manager with all your apps installed. I tried Ubuntu a year or so ago and it seemed similar as it also uses APT, but nowhere near as polished as Mandrake/Mandriva. But to me APT is the main feature. I did Red Hat and their package manager required too many tweaks after setup. APT worked out of the box almost all the time.
    MilesAhead, when I have time to tinker with AviSynth I will post back with any results.

A Mandriva "CD"? What's a CD? LOL

I try out any distro's on thumb drives or flash cards now, it's much easier and faster since the system isn't spinning the optical drive up and down constantly.

I use Unetbootin to create pretty much any usb install I need. Or- one can install to a thumb drive, boot from it, then use another thumb drive and do a full install to the second thumb drive, which will be persistent- saves the changes.

I just did this to create a persistent Linux Mint Debian install and it worked great.

I am distro hopping again, as I do NOT like the direction Ubuntu has gone with the Unity interface, and Gnome 3 in general. I need a desktop environment I can work with, not something that hides the settings and seems more appropriate for a smartphone.

I have been planning to give Mandriva a shot again.

On Ubuntu, I usually just fire up Synaptic for packages. I'm not a CLI type of person and Synaptic is much easier for me to deal with.

I've not tried any distro's that use RPM and I'm just inclined to stay with what I know for now.

You should give Linux Mint a look. I use Mint 11 on this computer, but don't plan on upgrading to Mint 12 as I don't care for Gnome 3. Linux Mint Debian Gnome edition still uses Gnome 2, but they're upgrading it to Gnome 3.

So I guess that will leave me with eventually looking for a distro with an XFCE or KDE UI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Mandriva install is all push button. You click the packages you want before the system is even set up. That's why everything fits in one CD image. It has the most important stuff on the CD and the rest it downloads as needed. Ubuntu got all the buzz but actually Mandrake was a customized optimized Debian(on which Ubuntu is based) released before Ubuntu even came out. I think mostly developers knew about it. Ubuntu just got the PR push.

Way back in the 90s I did Slackware up to release 3.0. Talk about no fun!! Everything was scripts under /etc. It booted to 6 virtual consoles. If you wanted X you had to get the software, a book how to configure it, and set it up yourself. The saying was "if you learn another distro, you learn that distro. If you learn Slackware, you learn Linux." It was no lie. No way you could do anything useful without at least the Running Linux book. But that's all water under the bridge.

Let me know how you make out with AviSynth
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have you tried cat vobsub1.srt vobsub2.srt > vobsubjoin.srt in a terminal
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dimoutlook View Post
    Have you tried cat vobsub1.srt vobsub2.srt > vobsubjoin.srt in a terminal
    They're *not* .srt files- that's the problem.

They're Vobsubs- idx/sub bitmapped subtitle files.

Joining subtiles also involve inputting timecodes for the join point, so I don't think the "cat" command would work anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Mandriva install is all push button. You click the packages you want before the system is even set up. That's why everything fits in one CD image. It has the most important stuff on the CD and the rest it downloads as needed. Ubuntu got all the buzz but actually Mandrake was a customized optimized Debian(on which Ubuntu is based) released before Ubuntu even came out. I think mostly developers knew about it. Ubuntu just got the PR push.

Way back in the 90s I did Slackware up to release 3.0. Talk about no fun!! Everything was scripts under /etc. It booted to 6 virtual consoles. If you wanted X you had to get the software, a book how to configure it, and set it up yourself. The saying was "if you learn another distro, you learn that distro. If you learn Slackware, you learn Linux." It was no lie. No way you could do anything useful without at least the Running Linux book. But that's all water under the bridge.

Let me know how you make out with AviSynth
    I haven't had a chance to try AviSynth yet, I've been really busy.

I like the sound of the Mandriva install. I'm going to give that one a try. I didn't realized Mandriva was also a Debian offshoot. I would rather stay with a Debian based distro.

I tried the Mint Debian Gnome distro, and although the wifi didn't work OOB, I did manage to get it working. It's a pretty nice distro.

You used Slackware??? OMG- you *are* a true Linux geek! I have never, ever tried Slackware, nor do I intend to. I want a user friendly GUI, I can't stand have to use the CLI. I have to do it for a couple of things I do, but I would always rather have a GUI way of doing things.

If I have time this week I'll have to try Mandriva.

I'm still leaning towards Mint 12 with the Cinnamon DE, or maybe Mint Debian. Things are still very much in flux with Gnome 3 right now, but Cinnamon looks like a promising desktop environment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah, Slackware was hell in some ways. One thing though, I could run X with programs like Emacs, browsers, graphical email clients, Gui nntp news readers, on a 486 PC with only 16 MB main memory. Once I got to Slackware 3.0 with 2.0 kernel, it never ever hard locked. Sometimes X would freeze if I had too many apps open, but I could always hotkey to a virtual terminal and kill it. Never had to cycle the power. But sometimes when I got a new program, it took me a week to get it running right. Once configured, stuff didn't break though. Now and then I surprise myself when I remember some script or startup file when someone has an issue, after all this time. But unless I had some reason to do it, for me Linux is been there, done that.

I'm more into having fun now with nothing to prove. Windows programming is almost always scripting that's easy and fun, like hotkey utilities. No more Explorer shell extensions for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, Slackware was hell in some ways. One thing though, I could run X with programs like Emacs, browsers, graphical email clients, Gui nntp news readers, on a 486 PC with only 16 MB main memory. Once I got to Slackware 3.0 with 2.0 kernel, it never ever hard locked. Sometimes X would freeze if I had too many apps open, but I could always hotkey to a virtual terminal and kill it. Never had to cycle the power. But sometimes when I got a new program, it took me a week to get it running right. Once configured, stuff didn't break though. Now and then I surprise myself when I remember some script or startup file when someone has an issue, after all this time. But unless I had some reason to do it, for me Linux is been there, done that.

I'm more into having fun now with nothing to prove. Windows programming is almost always scripting that's easy and fun, like hotkey utilities. No more Explorer shell extensions for me.
    I've had plenty of hard locks in Ubuntu, but not nearly as many as I had in Windows. I find Firefox to be very bloated and a major cause of freezing problems nowadays.

Your level of Linux (and Windows) expertise is waaaaaay above mine, but I can understand the been there, done that. I get frustrated with Linux sometimes with stuff that doesn't work as it should, but I honestly don't see myself going back to Windows anytime soon- especially since Windows 8 is being introduced... ugh.

My husband still uses XP on his machine, and aside from being forced to use XP for Vobsub, I really don't use it anymore.

For me, Linux is like a sort of mental exercise and I enjoy the problem solving.

Besides- I may not be in your league, but I get bragging rights rights for being a Linux user. Not many people- especially women- use Linux...
    Quote Quote  
  14. It's good to see things from more than one OS. Gives perspective. I was able to use VMS for awhile. Some things were awkward like changing the current directory. But it had some cool things built in you still can't find today. For example, backup versions of files was done automatically by the file system. If you were editing a text file named MyFile.txt and hit Save, the latest version is always named MyFile.txt, the next newest MyFile.txt;1 then MyFile.txt;2 etc.. It just kept backing up on its own. To get rid of the old versions you could use the Purge command, as in: Purge MyFile.txt /keep=4 to delete all but the 4 newest copies. To remove old files in the current directory you'd do: Purge /keep=3 or whatever. Plus, like Linux, it had aliases. So you could do something like Set Alias Purge=Purge /keep=3 or whatnot. It's been a long time so I forget the syntax. When I first started programming on Dos I learned Assembly language. The Vax processor assembly language is very similar to Intel 80x86. So it was easy to learn basic assembly. Good for debugging. When a program crashed on a Vax it spit out the assembly code in the area of the error. If you knew some basic assembler for that processor it made it easier to figure out what you did wrong.

But you're right about the Linux cache. Also for a programmer it's amazing the free programming tools and languages you can get in Linux. Years ago I downloaded and built a totally free implementation of CORBA. Which is this distributed business database object stuff. Anything even close to that in Windows I'd probably have to shell out a few thousand dollars.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the Mod to chastise us for talking Linux rather than Subtitles.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 10th Jan 2012 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Anyway, I'm waiting for the Mod to chastise us for talking Linux rather than Subtitles.
    Maybe we get can him involved in the conversation as well... LOL

I think this site has private messaging, yes?

I do have a tendency to go OT on forums. Won't be the first time I got chastised... LOL

Neat info on the auto backup features you were talking about. I think that would be awesome. I'm terrible at backing up... ... having the OS do this for me would be great.

I can't program or code, so the rest of what you said is way over my head, but still interesting. I think it's something I might want to learn someday, unless it requires good math skills...
    Quote Quote  
  16. btw I sent a PM. Better to continue there I think.
    Quote Quote