VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can anyone please help me with this? i have a Toshiba dvd recorder dr430. i just got verizon fios tv. when i try to record the walking dead off AMC channel i get this program is not recordable in video mod. this just happens on the AMC channel. thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the manual, the error message you are seeing means that AMC has "copy-once" copy protection applied.

Your DVD recorder can record "copy-once" programming on CPRM-compatible DVD-RW media formatted in VR mode. Verbatim DVD-RW is reliable, CPRM-compatible, and readily available online. http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-95179-Branded-DVD-RW-Spindle/dp/B000YTRUP0/ref=sr_1_1?s...0972128&sr=1-1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Usually_quiet

thank you for getting back to me. this is what i have tried to do so far

i go in to my Toshiba dvd recorder dr430 setup i have general setting timer programming title list dvd menu. i click on the dvd menu then it has start format i go to format it has a video mode and a vr mode both tell me dvd player compatibility mode vr mode editing possibility mode. i put it on the vr mode and start formatting my memorex dvd-rw 4x 4.7gb 120mins.why that is done i go back on to AMC channel and record a program i get recording error cannot record disc not cprm comp. e28 when i had direct-tv i had know trouble recording any tv show program. its when got verizon fios tv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tim37 View Post
    Hi Usually_quiet

thank you for getting back to me. this is what i have tried to do so far

i go in to my Toshiba dvd recorder dr430 setup i have general setting timer programming title list dvd menu. i click on the dvd menu then it has start format i go to format it has a video mode and a vr mode both tell me dvd player compatibility mode vr mode editing possibility mode. i put it on the vr mode and start formatting my memorex dvd-rw 4x 4.7gb 120mins.why that is done i go back on to AMC channel and record a program i get recording error cannot record disc not cprm comp. e28
    Not all DVD-RW discs are CPRM-compliant, and it looks like Memorex DVD-RW are not. However, Verbatim claims that their DVD-RW discs are CPRM compliant. That is why I recommended Verbatim.

JVC DVD-RW is also supposed to be good and CPRM-compliant http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=VD-W47HG5

Your other choice is to connect a video stabilizer/clarifier between the DVD recorder and the cable box to remove the part of the signal carrying the copy protection notice. Good ones like the Dimax Grex that don't lower the picture quality significantly cost around $100 and can only be purchased online. I thought you might prefer ordering some Verbatim DVD-RW discs for $27 to paying $100 for an additional piece of electronics.

Originally Posted by tim37 View Post
    when i had direct-tv i had know trouble recording any tv show program. its when got verizon fios tv
    FCC rules allow cable and satellite providers to use copy-once protection on any channel that is not also broadcast over-the-air locally. Whether they do it or not is up to them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Mar 2012 at 00:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have tried the Verbatim 2x DVD-RW #94918 (in the 10-pack), and I get the "not CPRM comp" message from my Toshiba DVD recorder. Maybe only certain Verbatim DVD-RWs are CPRM compatible?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hilndr44 View Post
    I have tried the Verbatim 2x DVD-RW #94918 (in the 10-pack), and I get the "not CPRM comp" message from my Toshiba DVD recorder. Maybe only certain Verbatim DVD-RWs are CPRM compatible?
    Maybe those particular discs aren't CPRM compatible, or maybe your recorder is picky. The JVC discs from the link in my previous post say"DVD-RW Discs / CPRM" in the product description, and I have seen claims that they work. I guess they are the best choice left.

I can't test the Verbatim DVD-RW discs I have. One of my DVD recorders requires the use of DVD-RAM for "copy once" material and the other will only record "copy once" material to its hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have ordered some of the JVC disks just for debugging purposes; will let you know. The problem is that they are so darn expensive (compared to everyone else's discs)!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are you copying using the S-Video connection from the FIOS box to your Toshiba or from the Composite connection? Also, are you recording from the SD AMC channel or the HD AMC channel? According to FIOS you should be able to record from the composite connection from SD channels with no issue.
    Honestly I have not tried this, I do have FIOS and several Toshiba DVD recorders, my method is to use a TBC between the box and the recorder. No issues there. But, give composite jacks a try and see what happens.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I finally received the recommended JVC discs, and they work in my Toshiba DVR670. However, they were $25 for only 5 discs (with shipping)! This is not a long-term solution for me, so I'll keep searching.
    btw, I also tried recording a show from my AT&T U-Verse box (using the composite video-out) that was not recorded in HD, and it worked without resorting to CPRM compatible discs. However, I don't know if it will work with all SD shows.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One trouble with vr-mode discs is that you may not be able to make anything out of them on a PC and also on many video DVD players.

I know no freeware that can do that ; payware providers say nothing about it ...
    And it might be worse with CPRM protected ones...

Analogic copying as Des explained is a solution but one needs an electronic device to remove Macrovision-like protection from the analogic signal ,his TBC must act so .

Do this only if it is legal in your country !
    Last edited by misermidas; 26th Mar 2012 at 11:00.
    Quote Quote  
  11. relCPRM can rip the discs and remove CPRM encryption. Then you can use the discs over and over again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will find more about CPRM and relCPRM there:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326725-How-to-decrypt-and-copy-CPRM-VRO-files

How does one say good luck in Japanese ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I also am trying to record cprm movies on a Toshiba DR430KU recorder. I was able to do it with some old TDK dvd-rw disks I had on hand. When I bought new TDK they wouldn't work; I got the error message "disk not cprm compatible - E28". I have tried Verbatim disks; no good. When I contacted Amazon Customer Support, they found some JVC dvd-r disks that are labeled "cprm", $42 for a 50 pack. The Toshiba manual says only dvd-rw disks formatted in the vr mode. When I called Toshiba Customer Support, the person couldn't tell me whether they would work or not; he couldn't find any info. My question is, other than -r being write once and -rw write many times, is there any difference between these disks in the way they are made?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMO don't waste money on expensive RW discs that aren't known for longevity and may need to be recorded in a odd format like VR, stick with quality R discs(Verbatim AZO) and just purchase a filter(from Amazon for one) to allow you to record to standard R discs in the standard video mode.
    The filter would go between your STBs video line output and DVDRs video line input(composite or S-video), audio doesn't need to go through the filter. A good filter like the Grex goes for $89 shipped from Amazon and will last for years, I have one and it works great.
    Search for Grex video filter on Amazon and they should pop up.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi, I recently bought a Toshiba recorder (model DR430KU) to record shows/movies saved on my TWC box/DVR. I was recording shows just fine until I tried to record a premium movie I had saved on the DVR. I did research online about it and about this issue so I bought a GREX and DVD-RW disks that said they were CPRM (from a company named RITEK). Even though the GREX is installed I still get the following error messages "You cannot record in Video Mode" and that the disks are "Not CPRM compatible." I thought the GREX was supposed to allow me to use my regular DVD-R disks anyway. Any ideas on what might be going wrong? I have the GREX installed between the Toshiba DVD recorder and the TWC cable box/DVR using green component cables and it is giving me a flashing red light.

As for the DVD-RW disks does anyone still make them that are CPRM compatible? Obviously the ones I bought from Ritek are a bust.

Thanks,
    Cat
    Last edited by Cat Blue; 25th Apr 2014 at 17:51.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try it with the Grex and a good DVD-R see if that helps.
    I use Verbatim DVD-R with a AVTools TBC to record via the s-video to the Toshiba. Once I remember having an issue and I used the composite out instead and that worked when the s-video failed. I figure it was a fluke that one time.

Also, I don't remember for cusre, but doesn't the DVR430 use DVD RAM discs for DPRM stuff?

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Also, I don't remember for cusre, but doesn't the DVR430 use DVD RAM discs for DPRM stuff?
    The DVR430 is not one of the well-known older models that Toshiba made. It is one of the current Toshiba models made by Funai and it can't use DVD-RAM discs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    The DVR430 is not one of the well-known older models that Toshiba made. It is one of the current Toshiba models made by Funai and it can't use DVD-RAM discs.
    Thanks, usually_quiet, I have two older units and a 430 and I get things confused.
    Shame DVD recorders never caught on and all the good technology in them went away so quickly

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cat Blue View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a Toshiba recorder (model DR430KU) to record shows/movies saved on my TWC box/DVR. I was recording shows just fine until I tried to record a premium movie I had saved on the DVR. I did research online about it and about this issue so I bought a GREX and DVD-RW disks that said they were CPRM (from a company named RITEK). Even though the GREX is installed I still get the following error messages "You cannot record in Video Mode" and that the disks are "Not CPRM compatible." I thought the GREX was supposed to allow me to use my regular DVD-R disks anyway. Any ideas on what might be going wrong? I have the GREX installed between the Toshiba DVD recorder and the TWC cable box/DVR using green component cables and it is giving me a flashing red light.

As for the DVD-RW disks does anyone still make them that are CPRM compatible? Obviously the ones I bought from Ritek are a bust.

Thanks,
    Cat
    I agree with others, just use R discs and you should be OK. Your error doesn't seem to be complaining about CP but rather your RW discs. If installed inline of your video output the Grex should remove all traces of CP, recording to any disc type.
    BTW Ritek are not known for quality discs, I believe they may be referred to as "landfill grade". For RW discs I'd suggest Verbatim brand.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I disagree. Since you're recording TV you'll probably want to remove ads. I'd use RW or RAM CPRM discs (whatever your recorder supports), use relCPRM to decrypt, then cut ads (mpg2cut2 is free but only cuts on keyframes, VideoRedo isn't free but can cut on any frame and only re-encode cut GOPs). Then author to DVDR. Use the RW/RAM discs over and over again -- good ones will last through hundreds of recordings. When one "wears out" throw it away.
    Quote Quote