VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't really understand any of these video format conversion tools.

I have tried Handbreak, MediaCoder, and recently downloaded WinFF.

They all ask me silly questions like what aspect ratio I want, or what resolution, or what quality (do I want very high or super high. I do not even know what that means).

How do these questions make any kind of sense? Ya, I am giving you a 4:3 video file, I totally want the output to be widescreen, and three times the resolution as the original clip (enhance).

I want, like 99% of all other people, to have the same aspect ratio, the same resolution, the same audio bitrate, THE exact same quality. Obviously, I do not want any higher quality than the original, but at the same time, I do not want to lose quality. Why are there no applications that seem to allow me to do this (all while hopefully not bloating the file size)?

It seems that the applications all want me to do a bit by bit, personal, analysis of the video files myself to figure out all of its information just to be able to answer these irrelevant questions.

And speaking about file size. How come the files almost always get bigger? If I am converting to a decent container like mp4, should it not be just as compressed as the original, with a similar quality, and therefore similar in size?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just use the presets in Handbrake and accept the defaults. They're usually sufficient.

MP4 is a container. That has little to do with the size of the file. What matters is the bitrate of the audio and video contained therein. If you want smaller files use lower bitrates (or lower quality settings when using quality based encoding).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, by why would I need a lower bitrate then the original to have similar file sizes?

And if the container does not have any effect on the size, than why is the size changing?

Another thing I missed before. Constant vs Variable framerate. Obviously I want whatever the original file had, to retain quality, but I do not know what the original file had, so how can I answer that question?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Constant frame rate is almost always less trouble. Use mediainfo to examine your source files for related info.

The container may have a small effect on the size, but I wouldn't have thought too much. Once again,
    mediainfo will reveal all. What are you converting from?
    Quote Quote  
  5. MP4, MKV, AVI, MPG -- all have very little overhead, typically around 1 percent. Transport stream files (TS, MTS, M2TS) have more overhead, around 5 percent. If your MP4 files are much larger than your source files the bitrate of the audio/video is higher. Either you used quality based encoding, or you selected a higher bitrate, or the encoder made a mistake (sometimes happens).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In general form MVK to mp4.

This makes me think, why is the video even being recoded every single time. If all I am asking for is a new container cant I just just use the audio and video streams as they are in some cases?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wisnoskij View Post
    In general form MVK to mp4.
    Why didn't you say so in the first place?

MKV2MP4

No reencoding, just a different container. Assuming the MKV has H264/x264 video.
    Quote Quote