VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a used Hauppauge PVR 1212 so I can convert some older Hi-8 videos from a camcorder to digital format and save on my PC hard drive. I'm having problems getting this to work. After an hour or so of video capturing, the video will start freezing up and stuttering.

Here are the details. My PC runs Win8 and is a newer, faster PC, so that isn't an issue. I've upgraded all the drivers from Hauppauge's website to the latest ones. Only thing I can't figure out how to update is the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme capturing software. There doesn't seem to be an update option in the software and I can't find any links to update it on Hauppauge's website. Does anyone know how to update that software?

I'm using an s-video cable to connect the camcorder to the PVR, and an RCA cable for the sound (although if I plug in both red and white RCA cables to the PVR, I get feedback, so I only plug in either the red or the white for mono sound.

As I mentioned, everything works fine for the first hour or so (time varies) of capturing, and then the video preview in the TME software starts freezing and stuttering. It does this too during playback of the video. The PVR does not get very warm or hot ... and I've read about overheating problems, so even tried the PVR on its side, where it can vent way better from the bottom vents, and that made no difference. I don't think overheating is an issue with this one.

The capture settings I've been using are 8m for the bit rate and I'm saving it to an MPEG-4 file. The videos play back fine from my camcorder and they are 480 res videos (standard def). I've tried the video capturing with "hardware acceleration" enabled and disabled, and either way I have the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Studly; 11th Jan 2015 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe Arcsoft Total Media Extreme can be updated. It is no longer supported by Arcsoft. They dropped support for all of their video products last year. Plus, the version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme included with your HD-PVR was likely modified to be used with your device, so a more recent standard version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme would probably not work anyway.

[Edit]If you think using different software might help with your problem there is some available. Capture4ME is alternate software for the HD-PVR. You could also try rcTVCap. http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jan 2015 at 14:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. is there a way with the original Hauppauge HD PVR 1 to capture a lossless recording? when the video is in the capture window in total media extreme, it looks fine, but when the recording is played, it shows artifacts that i believe have been mentioned by other users. i wont post a sample. it sounds like in general most capture cards might show artifacts. im not knowledgeable of everything about capture cards. i read about lossless codecs. can this apply to hauppauge or does it mean something to do with editing only?
    Last edited by tj1080i; 22nd Jun 2015 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tj1080i View Post
    is there a way with the original Hauppauge HD PVR 1 to capture a lossless recording? when the video is in the capture window in total media extreme, it looks fine, but when the recording is played, it shows artifacts that i believe have been mentioned by other users. i wont post a sample. it sounds like in general most capture cards might show artifacts. im not knowledgeable of everything about capture cards. i read about lossless codecs. can this apply to hauppauge or does it mean something to do with editing only?
    There are two basic kinds of HD capture devices. The first sends the PC an uncompressed video stream which is encoded by the PC using software. That is the type of capture device that can be used for capture via lossless encoding.

The other sends the PC a compressed video stream encoded by a chip that is a part of the capture device itself. The Hauppauge HD-PVR is in this category. Uncompressing and re-encoding to a lossless format is unlikely to improve the video's quality.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jun 2015 at 22:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstalll TME and install this Hauppauge Showbiz ver or get Hauppauge Capture ver and your problem should be solved.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for both of your answers. and to ask shs : capture wont work with pvr1 but showbiz does and i have a few issues though. is there a disable video preview while recording in order to minimize lag and the colors are also really bad. Maybe its because the bit rate is at 6.5 & wont let me adjust the rate when i click format settings. Another issue is since i uninstalled TME, i cant burn video to dvd since i was using it for that also. What software do you use to burn these files to? or do you know of a freeware option for this better than the TME dvd creator. It looks like DVD flick messes up the video. And also if it is alright to ask what do you use to compress these large files to a standard single layer dvd. Would Handbrake work for no quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm that odd the hauppuage capture should have work unless you system all goff up
    I haven't build nor burn DVD/Bluray video in min years that I can't not answers for you but you could always re-install TME and just import the clip in to it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. im using windows 8, & it doesnt work the best always. That could intefere somewhat with hauppauge capture maybe, but Showbiz works but has picture colors not correct and i can't adjust the bitrate as its only on 6.5 mb. That might be from Windows 8, i dont know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. i just changed the mb to 13.5 in showbiz, but first i had to adjust to 13.5 in hauppauge capture for it to do so. Even since it wont work with capture it looks like it just starts up & when i click record it skips every 2 seconds and has o mb of a file & freezes, but it lets me record one file clip that does play, but before that during rec process when i hit stop it freezes and just lets me have one file & then after that tryin to rec in capture has o mb files. but it looks like i can use showbiz for the pvr1. do you have a setting for the colors adjustment personally?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should never max it out that can cases it to get hot and over heat unless you mod your box with 5v fan to help keep it cool maybe you look in to trade in your HD-PVR1 for newer model right here http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_hdpvr2_upgrade.asp
    I go for HD PVR 2 model 1512
    Quote Quote  
  11. what are the effects of overheating? is it mainly that the device will freeze up more? could this damage the pvr to where it wont last as long? i have been using the max 13.5 & set it upsidedown to cool, up until i got the pvr rocket. Does the HD PVR 2 model 1512 have a built in fan?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check top side bottom side of the case it will very over warm to even hot
    Effects of overheating can be
    1: Freezing up
    2: Video pixelation

It not overheating then must like cuase is bad a power supply which can also.
    1: Dim Power Light or Blinking or wrong color light
    2: Freezing up
    3: Video pixelation
    Note: Try a diff power supply all need is 5v@2amp power supply see that make any diff

And yes that can in some case damage the HD-PVR to point where it wont last as long at all.

HD PVR 2 model 1512 has no built in fan and dosen't need it for run mill record I had mine going for well over 2 years but if your really going do back to back recording all day and nigth I remmond that flipping the device over so that vent holes are face up that help with cooling long term recordings.

I perasonl like new Hauppauge Colossus 2 it runs cool but it not on the trade in program.

The HD-PVR Rocket is very nice device I have this on my PC Gaming system but dosen't have much in the way of 3rdparty support as it has no directshow support but is a really good standalone device but as I recall rigth you had problem with it tj1080i did ever get harddrive to usb adapter ?.

Here good Place to Start with Fan mods you even see mine as it frist image on the sagetv forum
    Last edited by SHS; 27th Jun 2015 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. no i changed plans. I dont like the fact that the pvr rocket, as i can notice, has a lot of artifacts that are blocks and pixels whenever during SD, but HD is less artifacts but still shows during bright lights. Artifacts on the pvr 1 are not as bad as the pvr rocket. Have you noticed this about the pvr rocket and if i get HD PVR 2 model 1512, will this be good quality like the pvr 1 without the major artifacts, unlike the PVR Rocket does show?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No artifacts not blocks or pixels that only happing with bad weather on my Rocket, HD PVR 2 (1512) nor my Colossus 2 but I don't record SD only HD as Dishnetwork satellite don't support native resolution switch unlike DirecTV satellite which I think has better PQ I think.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ok, im considering HD PVR 2 model 1512. Does the trade in program work without any hassle (if they end up not sending you the device at all after you sent yours in? Have you used it?
    Quote Quote  
  16. or what about the hd pvr 2 1480 or any other pvr 2 models would you recommend? i see them at some fairly good prices elsewhere
    Quote Quote  
  17. You can't go wrong with pvr 2 if you're recording through component or composite. They do not work to record satellite tv through hdmi, though you need a box similar to this:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cloner-need-Capture-streaming-videos/dp/B00TF9MCXU/ref=sr_1...hdmi+clonerbox
    All of these devices have better recording quality than the hd pvr. If I remember right, the rocket does something weird with the framerate, but not positive, I returned mine.
    Quote Quote  
  18. to ezcapper and shs - thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i must have missed it
    why are you recording/capturing in MB, when the typical is 6kb~9Kb
    could this be the reasons your files are so large, and artifact is occurring, because your bit rate is about 1000 times to high
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    i must have missed it
    why are you recording/capturing in MB, when the typical is 6kb~9Kb
    could this be the reasons your files are so large, and artifact is occurring, because your bit rate is about 1000 times to high
    This not DivX or XviD
    It record just like what found on Blu-ray file that are in high bitrate but not as high as them
    Hardware Encoder don't work well at thoses super low bitrate they end with much blockier picture
    Beside as move on H.265 or HEVC then be able get do to smaller number with out it goof up the video
    As you know H.265 2.5Mbps bitrate is about the same as H.264 5Mbps bitrate or MPEG-2 10Mbps bitrate in hardware encoder so see the next H.266 or 267 in hardware encoder will final be as same level DivX or XviD are at low bite rate why still keep a high quality
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is NOT Blu Ray..this is HI-8

The videos play back fine from my camcorder and they are 480 res videos (standard def).
    there is no way encoding at high MB hevc will make any difference, the quality is not there, the pixel count is not there

a lower DVD bit rate will allow the processor to do the job correctly
    use the correct software and encode at the correct bit rate

in fact watching the video in a window and recording with screen capture software, might improve the results..above what he is currently getting
    Last edited by theewizard; 7th Jul 2015 at 02:11.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!