VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a question. Could somebody let me know the best free software for converting dvds to digital files.
    I use Windows XP. I'm not using them for protected movies. They are for home movies I have on DVD and want to put some
    on a iphone and a nexus 7 tablet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
    pavelgype@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Handbrake has pre-set for iPhone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're new to DVD ripping then go with something that is easy to use. I tend mostly toward freeware. I'm not (that much of)a stickler for Quality and I don't have the time to sift through tabs of codec options, I want the end product as quick as I can. I use Freemake Video Converter as my DVD Decrypter/Ripper/Converter I find the output quality is good(better than some commercial products), though others here might not agree. It's Free and fully functional but watch when you install this that you do a custom install and uncheck the boxes that install a toolbar and don't accept the free game they'll point you to unless you want to try it out. If you have problems come back and we'll help you out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would have to be stark raving mad to put any adware on your computer. There are plenty of freeware options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adware is not Spyware, you have to be paranoid if you think so. You have the option before hand if you read what you're installing to not install the toolbar.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Nexus should have enough grunt to play just about anything. At least with a decent media player installed. In my humble opinion, MXPlayer is the best Android media player. My Android smarphone will play 1080p video using MXPlayer without a problem.

Which iphone? Chances are you mightn't have to convert video specifically for it either.

For ease of use, VidCoder or Handbrake do a Good job. Personally I'd encode using their High Profile preset rather than a "device preset" which won't give you as good a quality.... unless you don't care and the encodes will be "throw away" encodes just for a portable device.... and assuming the iphone will play "standard" x264 encodes without the need for specific encoder settings. You'd need to enlighten us as to the iphone model or check the specs for what it'll play.
    Quote Quote