VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently use this enclosure http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/eSATA-USB-Dual-35in-Silver-SATA-External-Hard-D...ID~SAT3520U2ER in JBOD mode. I am building a media PC and want to use the drives as individual units.

Everything I have found in my search is ambiguous. How do I convert them back? Do I just plug them in individually?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, JBOD means "just a bunch of disks ". IOW, no special configuration. Should be that the only difference between your current setup and one with drives broken out into multiple connections is the number (and maybe type) of connections.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've decided to convert to RAID 1. Do I need to put the data currently on the drives on a separate source to convert them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is your ultimate goal for these disks? And the data that is to be used on them?

RAID summary:
    JBOD/SLED=Not much/any speed increase except really good random access for multiple files (works great for multitrack audio setup)
    RAID0=Nearly double speed increase, but no failsafe, so a little risky (works good for video that has tape backups)
    RAID1=Slower than normal write speed, 1.5x to nearly double read speed, MOST safe, Halves the storage space.
    RAID5 or 6=Close to Raid1 in speed, somewhat less safe (worse as you go with larger drives), Better storage space (though still not as good as JBOD/SLED
    RAID10=Combine speed of RAID0 with Safety of RAID1, Cuts storage in 1/4

Which most closely works with what you're trying to accomplish?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most safe, RAID1. I've done a little bit of searching and can't tell if you have to start RAID1 by formatting them both at the same time

EDIT: As mentioned I am trying to get my knowledge up to date before I buy my pc parts. One thing I'm wondering is how do people generally add bluetooth to their PCs? It's not standard on mobos as far as I can tell so do they just use peripheral cards? I plan on switching my PS3 remote over to use XBMC on Windows
    Last edited by AuroEdge; 3rd May 2012 at 00:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whenever creating RAID volumes (not counting JBOD here), you first define the combined volume. Once combined, it is for all intents and purposes a single entity. So all apps (except the originating RAID management/recovery app itself) work on the whole group as a single unit. So, NO, you can't format separately.

Afa BT, I use a USB adapter.

Scott
    Quote Quote