VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good day,
    I'm having trouble playing an mp4 video of roughly 6 hours (~size 600 MB). I used VLC and the player seems not to play nor I see error messages. In MPC I see the 'cannot render the file' message on the bottom bar
    mediainfo for this file
    Complete name : F:\1_2014-05-31_03-33-54.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 549 MiB
    I have read on the internet that in similar cases somehow the files may have not encoded properly.
    I tried to use staxrip 1.1.90 to encode the file (I am a complete newbie) but even at the starting phase, the following error 'FFVideoSource: Can't open' appears and the program does not do further actions.
    I remember that in Staxrip I could use a tool going in Tools>Launch>DGAVCIndex or DGIndex to preview files damaged in a similar way and the video was showing there. Now I using the same tool I cannot view the file or any other working file of the same format.
    THe question is, how can I use Staxrip to reactivate that previewing function?
    If that does not work, how can I encode this file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the file play OK in a typical media player, eg. WMP, VLC, MPC-HC, etc,etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately the file does not play in none of the common players, vlc, mpc, wmp
    I remember that in staxrip I could get a file having similar problem to play
    using the tools launch dgindex (or the other tool)
    Unfortunately that option does not seem to work anymore, so the question is also how to restore staxrip to play the files using that option
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the file doesn't play in VLC or MPCHC there may a problem with the file. These files have everything built-in,
    so not dependent on any codecs or splitters being installed in the OS.

Open the file in mediainfo and set it to view>text and post the info here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. mediainfo for this file
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mcy111 View Post
    mediainfo for this file
    If that's all you get when mediainfo is in text (or tree) mode, your file is bad.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok but I remember that previously I could use a tool in Staxrip that could display the video and I was watching a similar video in Staxrip. Do you know how to use Staxrip to watch a video? I tried again using that tool, that I believe is DGindex or the other one, that I was using but the videos (even the good ones) do not show.
    Aside from that, how do I repair such files?
    Do they need encoding? how to encode in Staxrip as I've tried and the encoder gives the error in the subject 'FFVideoSource: Can't open'
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!