VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured if I post it here it'd have the best chance of people reading it and being able to help me, and a mod can move it if need be.

Anyways, I bought a vixia hf r500 for the purpose of upoading YouTube videos(I care about picture quality only, not sound because I'm going to put music over all of my videos). It seems pretty good from what I record and it was only $300, but I really want to move the videos onto my computer and see how they show up there. Only problem is it has an HDMI output, and my laptop is HDMI out as well.

I've only been aware and reading up on HDMI out/input for the past hour or two, so I'm not that knowledgeable on this.

Does anybody know what exactly I would need to be able to transfer the videos from my camera to my laptop?? I read something purchasing about a frame grabber, but I'm not sure. Maybe extra software too???

ALSO, I'm not knowledgeable at all about camcorders either. I can still return the videocamera and get a full refund; should I do this instead??? I'm willing to purchase extra stuff *if* the video quality will be good. However, are there better alternatives in videocameras that can produce better or the same video quality, but don't have an HDMI output??

Thank you for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The HDMI port on the camera is not supposed to be used for transferring videos to a PC. HDMI is for watching videos.

Your camera has a USB port that works with software supplied by Canon for transferring video files to a PC. Your camera should have come with a software installation CD containing the program you need and a manual with instructions for using it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can also copy the files directly from your camcorder to your PC via USB with no extra software -- though the canon supplied software makes some tasks very simple for beginners. Be sure to copy the entire folder structure from the card and not simply individual clips. The folder contains extra files that maintain metadata and tell spanned clips how to behave.

Use a decent NLE to edit -- again ingesting the entire folder structure -- Vegas (Movie Studio,) Premiere, Pinnacle, Corel...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In case the OP wants to use them and the transfer software and its documentation were misplaced, the startup guide for Canon's Transfer Utility LE is here. The Pixela Transfer Utility LE software may be downloaded here, after typing in your camcorder's 12-digit serial number.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you! I thought something was weird about that. When I bought this yesterday I took everything out in the living room, then brought it upstairs to my room. Turns out, I forgot to bring up the USB cable haha. It didn't come with a CD though, the software installs through their website.

Ah you already beat me to it quiet

Thanks guys, everything should be good now
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Based on what you say, it looks like you never had an installation disc. Since the product page for the camera doesn't mention one either, apparently Canon doesn't bundle one in the package with the camera.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!