VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, i have read several guides and have spent alot of hours reading on other sites. but from what ive seen and read it seems to me that i can only encode the main movie. But i was wondering if there is a way to encode the entire dvd to nstc dvd. the reason is because i want to keep the main menus and scene selection intact. i just want to be able to watch it in my standalone dvd player insead of my computer. any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. i just want to be able to watch it in my standalone dvd player insead of my computer
    Then buy a DVD player that plays PAL DVDs.
    any thoughts?
    You'll never be able to do it:

http://www.ntsc2pal.hostrocket.com/FramesetPOS2.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. yeah thats what i figured and i guess i was doing some wishful thinking. ill just play them through my computer. my car indash dvd receiver plays them but in black and white. i can encode the movie thats no biggy just thought it would be cool have everything intact.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can it be done ? Of course it can. All you need to do is demux every element, resize everything to NTSC resolution, re-encode everything, and re-assemble. It isn't easy, it isn't fun, and it takes a lot of time. But it certainly can be done.

Even if your time is worth only USD$1 per hour, it would still work out cheaper to just buy a new player that can play both formats than it is to do the conversion yourself.

There is probably even an NTSC version of the disc available if you look hard enough.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. damn that sounds like a lot of steps...haha. i was hoping for an easy way out. thought there would be some magical program that would do that by now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for your own interest, if you care about quality when doing this type of conversion, this is the definitive thread on the subject

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic300144.html

Read it through, because it evolves and refines over time, and incorporates newer and better tools as the thread goes along. A long but worthwhile read if the problem comes up again.

If you don't care about quality, and are willing to take a chance on it not even working, have a read of this thread

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic319127.html

It presents an alternate view, shall we say.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. for main menu conversion i used to use nero encode which did a pretty good job. i did alot of movie authoring in my time..lol. but now i just do bluray encoding. and by looking at the thread u provided i see that the methods have been refined which is a good thing. i will definitely take a closer look at this cause i want the movie to really have superb quality.
    Quote Quote