VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi people

This has been bugging me for a while!

most .MKV files played on VLC after a while of watching seem to end up out of sync (audio with the video)

Was wondering what would be needed to fix this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. are your listed computer specs up to date ?

If so, and this is a HD video, your computer is too old and is probably dropping frames

You can try another player as well , maybe mpchc, splash lite
    Quote Quote  
  3. A question which pops into my head would be.... if you start playing the MKVs from a point towards the end, is the audio still out of sync?

I also agree, try another player to see if the same thing happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You might also try SPlayer Portable. It claims to use HW acceleration on my graphics system where many other players won't offer. I don't know if it's really kicking in the HW but it seems to play anything HD quite well.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you necessarily need to be talking about HD to have problems with .264 video like in an mkv with older/less powerful systems.

Which version of vlc are you using? The newer ones (2.0 on) don't have a file cache adjustment. That's really important for harder to decode video like .264. In any case you may want to enable frame drop in edit->preferences.

I haven't tried splayer and since I'm using linux now I don't think I will be. But I was going to suggest SMplayer, which does have caching settings. 8192 Kb with an automatic 50% cache fill works best for these type of things. The windows version of smplayer also has CPU priority settings. High priority also helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    are your listed computer specs up to date ?

If so, and this is a HD video, your computer is too old and is probably dropping frames

You can try another player as well , maybe mpchc, splash lite
    Hi there so sorry everyone for my late replies!

Yes these are my specs:

AMD-A8-3820 APU WITH RADEON HD GRAPHICS 2.50 GHZ
    4 GB RAM
    64BIT OS
    WINDOWS 7

VLC VERSION 2.02

I will definitely try another player.

No what happens is when i skip it the sound is back in sync but then after 30 or so seconds goes back out of sync again.

Will try all your suggestions and get back 2 u all!

Thank u
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, it probably ain't the hardware ...

I actually tried splayer on my little remaining windows 7 partition. Not impressed. Not one bit.

SMplayer is still what I'd recommend. I noticed they've dropped the beta downloads for windows versions, which is a good thing.

As I recommended before, a file cache size of 8192 Kb works best in smplayer (preferences -> performance).

The minimum 50% cache fill works a lot better too. You do that in preferences -> advanced -> options for mplayer. Enter the following string:

-cache-min 50

Otherwise, I don't know the provenance of those files, but there's a lot of badly encoded video out there. Some of it just isn't in sync to begin with. And the h.264 stuff (like mkv's) tend to actually be worse. I think either the encoders used aren't very good or the users don't know how to use all those nice h.264 options, which can get pretty complicated.
    Last edited by Hoser Rob; 2nd Aug 2012 at 12:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ill give that a go thanks a lot for that Rob.
    Quote Quote