VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert a source (*.mkv) to play on a blu-ray player as a bd 25.

What I have done is this:

1. using mkv extract to convert the source to bd (iso)
    2. loading it into TSMUXER for creating BD ISO
    3. bunring the iso with IMGBURN.

I now insert the bd-25 into my sony blu-ray player.

When I look at the picture I can see that the picture dissolves into "squares".

Is there anyone know how I removes this is there a setting I have forgotten to set. I have used this tutorial on youtube that I have used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIIWUuUiwE

hope someone can give me some info what I am doing wrong. ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest34343
    Probably the elementary video stream in the MKV is not bluray compliant. You may have to re-encode for bluray compliance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
    Probably the elementary video stream in the MKV is not bluray compliant. You may have to re-encode for bluray compliance.
    Actually, that is "probably" NOT it at all. This sounds like a classic example of macroblocks, which is a bit rate problem.

alphadec - Your problem is very likely a bit rate problem. Could be a problem with your source or final product. Install MediaInfo. Open your MKV file with it and post back the results. Go into the STREAM directory on your BD output and open the largest *.m2ts file you see with MediaInfo and post that here too. Between those we can probably figure out what's going on.

Have you tried just playing the MKV file on your BluRay player via USB - say, using a flash drive? Most BluRay players can play MKV files if they don't use unusual video or audio codecs. You may not need to convert anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Actually, that is "probably" NOT it at all. This sounds like a classic example of macroblocks, which is a bit rate problem.

alphadec - Your problem is very likely a bit rate problem. Could be a problem with your source or final product. Install MediaInfo. Open your MKV file with it and post back the results. Go into the STREAM directory on your BD output and open the largest *.m2ts file you see with MediaInfo and post that here too. Between those we can probably figure out what's going on.

Have you tried just playing the MKV file on your BluRay player via USB - say, using a flash drive? Most BluRay players can play MKV files if they don't use unusual video or audio codecs. You may not need to convert anything.
    look at attachment

ps: it's a sony player and they wont play mkv!!

ftfn1080p.mkv.txt
    Last edited by alphadec; 12th Jun 2014 at 15:19. Reason: added info
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your source file is around 8000 Kbps which is a bit low for 1080p video, but I've seen a lot lower out there. The video is H.264 so that lets you get away with lower bit rates. I'd say that something is probably going wrong in your conversion rather than blame the source for what you see. Explain more about this "conversion" step 1 you talked about in your first post. Go into details on exactly what you are doing. tsmuxer doesn't convert so it just uses whatever you feed it.

Actually many people say that Sony CAN indeed play MKV files, but there seem to be limitations. One was a suggestion that it won't play files over 4 GB in size, which suggests a FAT32 issue (maybe Sony doesn't allow NTFS formatted USB devices). Your audio might be a problem for the Sony too - not sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 824 pixels
    Height must be 1080 for blu-ray compliancy, not 824.................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, how about that. It's been cropped.

Probably easiest to use uncropMKV to make it BD compliant. No way around re-encoding, since you say your player won't play the MKV as-is.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Your source file is around 8000 Kbps which is a bit low for 1080p video, but I've seen a lot lower out there. The video is H.264 so that lets you get away with lower bit rates. I'd say that something is probably going wrong in your conversion rather than blame the source for what you see. Explain more about this "conversion" step 1 you talked about in your first post. Go into details on exactly what you are doing. tsmuxer doesn't convert so it just uses whatever you feed it.

Actually many people say that Sony CAN indeed play MKV files, but there seem to be limitations. One was a suggestion that it won't play files over 4 GB in size, which suggests a FAT32 issue (maybe Sony doesn't allow NTFS formatted USB devices). Your audio might be a problem for the Sony too - not sure.
    Please look at this tutorial I found on youtube, I follow these steps you see in that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 824 pixels
    Height must be 1080 for blu-ray compliancy, not 824.................

This is the problem. Blu-ray is very specific. You must resize to 1920x1080 and reencode the video to be Blu-ray compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can play it as a mkv burned onto a disc without authoring if your blu-ray player is new enough and supports mkv playback on a data disc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by alphadec View Post

[Attachment 25691 - Click to enlarge]
    Every Sony Bluray player I've met (I live in PAL-Land) will play MKV files. My other half has a (I'm pretty sure) S360. It's so old it has no USB input, but it'll play MKV files burned to disc. Mine's an S480 (at least a couple of years old). It'll play High Profile, Level 4.1 via USB regardless of resolution (up to 1080p). It happily reads NTFS drives. There's probably been some very basic models that don't play MKVs, but most of them do. What model do you have?

This is the cheapest player I found on Sony's U.S. site. If you click on specifications and scroll down, you'll see MKV is listed under "Supported Media Video".
    MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdp-s380 which is 3 years old now plays mkv with no issues as long as there is no head stripping or format profile that's higher than 4.1.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. According to your text file, the MKV in question was created using a very old version of MKVMerge (from 2007):

Format version: Version 1

I don't really understand the different Matroska versions but when you mux using a current version of MKVMergeGUI:

Format version : Version 4 / Version 2

Anyone know if remuxing with a new version of MKVMergeGUI might make the Sony player happy? (and what happened to version 3?)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    According to your text file, the MKV in question was created using a very old version of MKVMerge (from 2007):

Format version: Version 1

I don't really understand the different Matroska versions but when you mux using a current version of MKVMergeGUI:

Format version : Version 4 / Version 2

Anyone know if remuxing with a new version of MKVMergeGUI might make the Sony player happy? (and what happened to version 3?)
    I am using the latest Mkvmerge v 7.0.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I use the source mkv the source is 1920*824 when I display on my pc (vlc) the picture is 16:9 letterbox.

When I use mkv extract I have used same as source with the result 16:9 full screen so the letterbox is lost. How do I prevent this so I have the orginal source. ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by alphadec View Post

[Attachment 25691 - Click to enlarge]
    Every Sony Bluray player I've met (I live in PAL-Land) will play MKV files.
    Except the PS3, of course.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!