VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. tomoni40
    Search Comp PM
    I had this DVD recorder for a couple of weeks now. I am using Memorex DVD-R discs. First, when I insert the disc it supposes to initialize it,but it does not. After awhile it shows the recognized DVD disc on screen.
    I start the VCR, then the record button on the remote control,and it did record the show from the VCR, it finalized it.Everything went well with a couple more of shows from the VCR.
    But,now it will record the shows from the VCR, but it will not finalize the disc. After trying to finalize, it gives me,the message,"Finalize failed". I have damaged 3 discs trying to finalize them,but no more until,find out what is happening.
    Any suggestions,on what the problem could be?
    I have read on others forums,than with this LG Recorder finalization of discs it not needed. Any comments?
    Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stop using Memorex discs. Buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex has been bad forever. hech54 told you what you should use.

Plus your recorder is probably 4-5 years old now so it could just be wearing out. Maybe YOU have only had it for a few weeks but it was most likely manufactured years ago. Let me guess - you bought it off Craigslist, right? And the seller swore that it either had not been used at all or only once or twice at most. It may be possible to replace the burner yourself if you are technically inclined, but if you haven't ever done PC repair type work I wouldn't advise it. A repair will likely cost more than you paid for the player - that's if you can get it repaired at all. And note that some DVD recorders contain specialized recorders that you will either not be able to get or may have to resort to a secondary market to get used ones where they may or may not work. You'll have to do some internet research to see if this model can have the burner replaced or not by consumers.

You may not need to finalize discs to play them back on the recorder itself, but I'll warn you that a lot of people do that out of laziness and then come posting here crying about how their precious DVDs won't play anywhere now that their recorder has died. There are a few programs that MIGHT (not always though) be able to recover the contents of the unfinalized DVDs but they all cost money. Don't get in this habit unless it's something you are quite willing to not get upset about it if you can't see it because your recorder died. And from your post I don't think your recorder probably has long to go.
    Quote Quote