1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for help to resolve FFMPEG Unrecognized option 'preset' “ error
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post some background information, and the command line used
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My web host upgraded FFMPEG to version SVN-r26402, and after uploading a video, via the web site, I get this error Unrecognized option 'preset' “ error,
    and am told that "it appears that the version of FFMPEG that is installed, does not use the "preset" flag". So, I'm looking for a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must rewrite the ffmpeg command then....or tell your webhost to update ffmpeg.

What is the ffmpeg command? Are you using some ffmpeg script/code?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes it is a convertor mod script.
    The line, I believe, is:
    $cmd = "$config[path_to_ffmpeg] -i $raw_video_path -vf 'movie=watermark.png [watermark]; [in][watermark] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:10 [out]' -strict -2 -preset medium -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -ab 64k -ar $ffmpeg_audio_rate -b:v $bit_rate -r $frame_rate -nr 1000 -g 500 -y -s $ffmpeg_size $new_mp4";
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could start by removing -preset medium and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    I removed -preset medium, uploaded another video file and then looked at the convertor log and see this:

Unrecognized option 'b:v'

The convertor code also has one other line relating to preset and that is this:

// createMP4("$raw_video_path","$file_name_no_extensi on","$conv_presets",3,"$file_name_no_extension".ti me());

Any help will be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  8. -b:v is for newer ffmpeg syntax for "video bitrate" (ffmpeg binaries within the last couple of years), you're probably using very old ffmpeg build . Replace it with -b $bit_rate , or -bitrate $bit_rate, or ask the web hoster to update the ffmpeg build
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just to clarify, my web host upgraded FFMPEG to version SVN-r26402, but you're saying "ffmpeg build" is something else?

And when you say "Replace it with -b $bit_rate , or -bitrate $bit_rate", can you clarify what "it" means, please?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just to clarify, my web host upgraded FFMPEG to version SVN-r26402, but you're saying "ffmpeg build" is something else?
    SVN-r26402 is a few years old, not really an "upgrade"

2011-01-19 = over 3 years old. That is a few lifetimes in terms of ffmpeg development . Changes and updates occur frequently and fast . Officially, SVN isn't even supported anymore, they moved to a different system GIT

And when you say "Replace it with -b $bit_rate , or -bitrate $bit_rate", can you clarify what "it" means, please?
    "it" means "-b:v" . Notice -b:v is replaced by -b

Code:
    $cmd = "$config[path_to_ffmpeg] -i $raw_video_path -vf 'movie=watermark.png [watermark]; [in][watermark] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:10 [out]' -strict -2 -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -ab 64k -ar $ffmpeg_audio_rate -b $bit_rate -r $frame_rate -nr 1000 -g 500 -y -s $ffmpeg_size $new_mp4";
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much thanks again for your reply.

My web host sent me this:

[root@host3 ~]# ffmpeg -version
    FFmpeg version SVN-r26402, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
    built on May 6 2014 12:42:26 with gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54)

I'm not that technical, but doesn't this show a recent build?

Also, just to be clear, are you suggesting that I replace, in the script, -b:v with -b ?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  12. It means that ffmpeg binary was built on May 6, 2014, but based on libraries that are old .

The analogy would be you have blue prints for a "Ford Model T" car circa ~1910 , and build that clunker on May 6, 2014 . It's ancient by today's standards. That's why none of the modern syntax work (those old builds are using an old libx264 snapshot, probably predated the presets)

Yes, you replace -b:v with -b , or -bitrate , and you remove -preset medium
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again.
    I have sent a message to my web host.
    In the meantime I change the -b:v to -b
    And the command line looks like this now:
    $cmd = "$config[path_to_ffmpeg] -i $raw_video_path -vf 'movie=watermark.png [watermark]; [in][watermark] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:10 [out]' -strict -2 -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -ab 64k -ar $ffmpeg_audio_rate -b $bit_rate -r $frame_rate -nr 1000 -g 500 -y -s $ffmpeg_size $new_mp4";

And I got an error, and the log looks like this:
    [buffer @ 0xa5cd580] w:200 h:110 pixfmt:yuv420p
    No such filter: 'movie'
    Error opening filters!

Any additional help will be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  14. They probably didn't have -vf filters back then . Or at the very least, it was very rudimentary compared to the filters today. You probably can't do your watermark unless you / they update the ffmpeg build

This part is responsible for the watermark/overlay , you can remove that , or ask them to update the ffmpeg build if the watermark is important
    Code:
    -vf 'movie=watermark.png [watermark]; [in][watermark] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:10 [out]'
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!