VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I am in the process of converting several 8mm (Sony Video 8) Analog Tapes to Digital DV-AVI and would like to know which of the below options will produce the best capture quality.

1. Use My Sony DCR-PC109 (Anlog to Digital Passthrough) to will convert analog to Digital and capture via Firewire to my PC
    2. Buy a Digital 8 (Sony DCR-TVR480) and output Firewire directly to my PC for capture.

Thanks in advance for your experienced answers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Either can get the job done. As for quality, I find a small advantage using my original camcorder to play the tapes for better tracking and less noise. My playback Hi8 camcorder also has a built-in TBC so your results may differ.

There may be a luminance level correction that needs to be done if you use an "Anlog to Digital Passthrough" camcorder for conversion to DV Firewire. Most Sony models with this feature capture 7.5 IRE black to digital level 32 instead of 16. The result is washed out grays. Some models also clip whites above 100 IRE. Video8/Hi8 camcorders can record up to 120 IRE white overshoots.

To correct these issues you need to correct levels before capture (e.g. a proc amp) or use a Canopus ADVC type DV transcoder that captures 7.5 IRE correctly to digital level 16 and 100 IRE to digital level 235. If you use the pass-through camcorder without pre correction, you will need to correct luminance level down 7.5% in software (black from 32 to 16) after capture.

Not all "pass-through" models have this problem. You need to test your camcorder.

The Digital8 playback option results in correct levels with models I have used. Disdavantges of this alternative may be more noise and lack of "picture in shuttle". Most Digital8 camcorders only play analog tapes at 1x speed. Another issue that concerns only pro Hi8 tapes is Digital8 camcorders can't play PCM digital audio tracks from Hi8.
    Last edited by edDV; 20th Mar 2010 at 11:09.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi8 camera for Hi8 tapes, never D8 -- this is my experience for best quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Video8 camcorders lack S-Video connector. S-Video connection is available only for Hi8 camcorders.
    2. Sony camcoders with Analog to Digital Passthrough have very poor comb filter. This is true even with prosumer models, VX2100.
    So, if you want quality you have to avoid composite input in combination with Sony DCR-PC109.

Read also this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/268954-High-Quality-Video8-digitizing
    Last edited by danno78; 20th Mar 2010 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danno78 View Post
    1. Video8 camcorders lack S-Video connector. S-Video connection is available only for Hi8 camcorders.
    2. Sony camcoders with Analog to Digital Passthrough have very poor comb filter. This is true even with prosumer models, VX2100.
    So, if you want quality you have to avoid composite input in combination with Sony DCR-PC109.

Read also this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/268954-High-Quality-Video8-digitizing
    Thanks for reminding me of that 2007 thread. I've since added a Sony GV-D200 deck and a Canon HV20 HDV camcorder to my collection. I haven't closely evaluated those for analog to digital pass-through to DV since I mainly rely on the Canopus ADVC. I'll have to add this to my project todo list.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About testing Canon HV20.
    Save your time and forget about analog to digital pass-through feature made with Canon. On the thread below on top of the second page are some screenshot made by Canon HV30. All the chroma noise on pictures is the "result" of Canon built-in comb filter.
    Canon have added this feature to HDV line to look a better value agains Sony HDV camcorders which lack A/D passthrough. To bad is that Canon forget to include S-Video connector. So the quality is low, virtual all capture cards (except those based on ancient Bt8x8 chip, and even these with S-Video connection) will outperform Canon.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152142&highlight=hv30
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes composite only input is silly forcing an unnecessary Y/C separation. All Hi8 camcorders can output S-Video with Y and C on separate connector pins.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Most Sony models with this feature capture 7.5 IRE black to digital level 32 instead of 16. The result is washed out grays.

Not all "pass-through" models have this problem. You need to test your camcorder.
    How do you find out if a camcorder you're interested in buying captures 7.5 IRE black to digital level 16? I want to purchase a Sony DCR-PC5 or other PC series but I've recently become aware of this problem through this site. I've been googling and peeking specs and manuals and they don't even mention this kind of specifications. Any advice on how to find out before spending my money?
    Quote Quote