VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried left and right to solve the problem of dropped frames (sometimes the frames don't get dropped, sometimes they get dropped left and right... I'll explain the problem)

So basically, I used to cap everything with GrabBee which is the program that came with my USB capturer. However, the highest quality it can capture up to is MPEG-2 at 9000kbps, so I tested out capturing things with VirtualDub and STOIK capturer and the video was 100x better, a lot sharper and there weren't megablocks.

I chose STOIK over VirtualDub because I heard it causes less drop frames. So of course, I'll start up my computer, use task manager to kill all background programs, etc. And the capture process will be fine, 0 drop frames. Then out of nowhere, I'll get 200 dropped frames in the span of 2 seconds. What's up with that? It'll stabilize and then 15 minutes later, I'll lose 400 frames!

It's so frustrating because I don't want to use GrabBee again, which gave me 0 dropped frames, but it has lower quality. But I seemed to have killed all background processes, my computer isn't making any weird loud noises, so I don't know why it's randomly spazzing out on me.

Can anyone help me please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChibiBoi View Post
    I've tried left and right to solve the problem of dropped frames (sometimes the frames don't get dropped, sometimes they get dropped left and right... I'll explain the problem)

So basically, I used to cap everything with GrabBee which is the program that came with my USB capturer. However, the highest quality it can capture up to is MPEG-2 at 9000kbps, so I tested out capturing things with VirtualDub and STOIK capturer and the video was 100x better, a lot sharper and there weren't megablocks.

I chose STOIK over VirtualDub because I heard it causes less drop frames. So of course, I'll start up my computer, use task manager to kill all background programs, etc. And the capture process will be fine, 0 drop frames. Then out of nowhere, I'll get 200 dropped frames in the span of 2 seconds. What's up with that? It'll stabilize and then 15 minutes later, I'll lose 400 frames!

It's so frustrating because I don't want to use GrabBee again, which gave me 0 dropped frames, but it has lower quality. But I seemed to have killed all background processes, my computer isn't making any weird loud noises, so I don't know why it's randomly spazzing out on me.

Can anyone help me please?
    Hi ChibiBoi,

Try it:

Its a complete Virtualdub capture, edit, encode. Look for configs to skip "dropped frames".

Claudio
    Quote Quote