VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having packaging redone for DVDs. Several years ago we had these instructions for Windows and Mac users to find and access ROM content, along with a message about the free Adobe reader being required... In your opinion, would you say that these are still good instructions, or should they be modified for newer versions of associated operating systems?

Windows Users:
    1) After inserting the DVD into your drive, double click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
    2) With your right mouse button, click on the icon for your DVD drive and then click Explore
    3) A window will open showing the folders on the DVD:
    AUDIO_TS
    MUSIC
    VIDEO_TS
    4) Click on the MUSIC folder and find the file called xxxxx.PDF Double click this file to open.

Mac Users:
    1) After inserting the DVD into the drive an icon will appear on your desktop.
    2) Double click this icon.
    3) A window will open showing the folders on the DVD:
    AUDIO_TS
    MUSIC
    VIDEO_TS
    4) Click on the MUSIC folder and find the file called xxxxxx.PDF. Double click this file to open.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well windows 10 doesn't have a "my computer" icon on the desktop so there goes 110 million users....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 has a "this pc" icon that's the exact same as function so welcome back 110 million users.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Newer versions of Windows might have "Computer", "This PC" instead of "My Computer", or may be setup to not show ANY computer/root icon (this is an option, even with Win10). Most stock installs don't do "AUTORUN" but they do usually do "AutoPlay", meaning after an insert it will try to do the default action:

1. For Music/AudioCDs: Play music (with music player app)
    2. For Photos: Show Photos in Slideshow (with Preview app)
    3. For Video/DVDs/Blu-rays: Play video (with video player app)
    4. For Docs & other files: Open root directory in Explorer app)

If it isn't allowed to automatically do the default, it'll at least open up a dialog box asking you what you want to do.

...so NO, not that different.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about using the start button? Start -> Computer
    Is that still a used process in Windows 8 and 10?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Windows 10 has a "this pc" icon that's the exact same as function so welcome back 110 million users.

where? the only thing on that windows 10 put on the desktop here is a trash bin. fresh install done yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160122_163659.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	35323
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only "this pc" i can find in win10 is if you open up the explorer icon(file folder) and then you can right click on the this pc in the list on the left.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh.. why do they have to keep changing things.. What was wrong with My Computer
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just make your own shortcut icon on the desktop
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	35328
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol yeah I know that, but I'm trying to write a short set of instructions that most people will understand across various versions of the operating systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't need to make a shortcut, just add it back in...http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/display-my-computer-icon-on-the-desktop-i...windows-vista/.

But it is likely that a user who hasn't personalized their desktop probably also hasn't disabled autoplay. So my earlier suggestion is still the most straightforward way to access those files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oye vay. desktop icons are listed under themes? i would have never looked there. not really impressed with w10, not intuitive at all. they moved everything just to mix it up and make it look different. why can't we just have a modern winXP with everything up front and accessible?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install classic shell,it will show you all the icons you need to click on.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is computer, this pc, my computer, still available from the start menu in Windows 8 and 10?
    Maybe I could tell them to click the start button, then go to computer.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    So my earlier suggestion is still the most straightforward way to access those files.
    What exactly was your earlier suggestion? I can't really depend on Auto Play (I think that's the window that pops up asking them what they want to do, and one of the options is to open the folder or something like that) because if it doesn't come up, then *some* people will freak out and call for support. I want to write the instructions in such a way that they will work for most folks and not confuse them.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just looked at a bunch of screen shots from Windows 10, and it appears when you click the start button, there is no "this pc" but there is a "File Explorer" option. Is this where one would click to see their list of drives?

Is this understandable:

1. After inserting the DVD into your drive, double click the “Computer” or “This PC” icon on your desktop. If the icon is not on the desktop, click the start button and select “Computer” (Windows 7) or File Explorer (Windows 10).

2. With your right mouse button, click on the icon for your DVD drive and then click “Open in New Window”
    Last edited by sdsumike619; 13th Feb 2016 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote