VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I did a lot of reading on this forum, some stickies and other guides and found some real interesting info. I didn't know these many rules and specifications of the blank media. I usually buy media with the Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MBI 01RG40] from the manufacturer Moser Baer India. I started receiving some duds lately and wanted to buy superior quality. I found these two from an online vendor and can someone who's gone with them suggest your options?

LifeSeries

AZODye

I read that the ones with AZO dyes are more reliable but the other one states Life Series which I don't know what that 'LS' means
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, we've long posted on exactly what you asked, so I don't know about you doing a "lot of reading", but anyway, we don't punish people for asking the same questions over and over.

LifeSeries is Verbatim's cheap brand media with lower quality. They put it out because especially in North America, but other places as well, consumers are convinced that all discs are the same and only suckers pay more. There is no "pay more for better". Of course the general thinking is wrong, but Verbatim must compete with companies who sell cheap garbage media to idiot consumers who only care about price, so LifeSeries is their brand to compete for this bottom end low cost business. It's not as good as their non-LifeSeries discs and probably about on par with anybody else's low cost low quality crap discs.

If it doesn't say "LifeSeries" and Verbatim makes it, then it is Azo. Azo is Verbatim's proprietary dye. Basically these are the good discs.

Verbatim does use India for some manufacturing and it is highly controversial. Many people insist that those discs are 100% crap but the fact is that those factories must meet Verbatim's stringent standards and they do make Azo discs in India. Other people insist that the Indian discs are just as good as those made elsewhere. My suggestion is that if you have some of the MBI discs that you burn them at slower speeds for better results. I'd suggest 4x speed burning but if you must go faster, try 8x but no more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Well, we've long posted on exactly what you asked, so I don't know about you doing a "lot of reading", but anyway, we don't punish people for asking the same questions over and over.

LifeSeries is Verbatim's cheap brand media with lower quality. They put it out because especially in North America, but other places as well, consumers are convinced that all discs are the same and only suckers pay more. There is no "pay more for better". Of course the general thinking is wrong, but Verbatim must compete with companies who sell cheap garbage media to idiot consumers who only care about price, so LifeSeries is their brand to compete for this bottom end low cost business. It's not as good as their non-LifeSeries discs and probably about on par with anybody else's low cost low quality crap discs.

If it doesn't say "LifeSeries" and Verbatim makes it, then it is Azo. Azo is Verbatim's proprietary dye. Basically these are the good discs.

Verbatim does use India for some manufacturing and it is highly controversial. Many people insist that those discs are 100% crap but the fact is that those factories must meet Verbatim's stringent standards and they do make Azo discs in India. Other people insist that the Indian discs are just as good as those made elsewhere. My suggestion is that if you have some of the MBI discs that you burn them at slower speeds for better results. I'd suggest 4x speed burning but if you must go faster, try 8x but no more.
    Thanks for your suggestion, I really read the same in the forum stickies, but I wanted someone to check my links and suggest the better. Is there any way to find out the ID of the disks by looking at the part number or the other specs the vendor mentioned there? I hoped someone on this forums would have bought the same type and I wanted to know how they performed. And by the way the MBI ones I burn them at 2x speed in ImgBurn but recent 6/10 turned to be coasters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Much of what you need to know is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Now that I'm back, I'll be giving that attention in the future.

If you have others question, ask. (Here or there.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Much of what you need to know is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Now that I'm back, I'll be giving that attention in the future.

If you have others question, ask. (Here or there.)
    Read it all, but my doubt is a different one
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!