VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, Long story long,

I have been ripping my DVD collection to HD.264 MP4 using Open DVD Ripper 3. Simple enough user interface.

Great quality, it's just the file sizes are anywhere from 4 to 8 GB

I have a friend who illegally downloads torrents, which I refuse to do, but he has the same movies in as near as I can tell, the same quality but in around or under a GB

So, after researching how to get a smaller file size by reducing bitrate etc.. I had him put one movie on a flash drive so I could compare the properties and made note of :
    framewidth
    height
    datarate
    total bitrate
    framerate
    audio bitrate
    audio sample rate

I then used the free trial of Wondershare and made some adjustments and was able to get an edited copy of a nearly 8GB movie down to just over 1GB. (watermark included!) But it took an extremely long time to convert. May have something to do with my computer being to weighed down with crap I dont even know about!

So then I tried to adjust the bitrate and such in the advanced properties of Open DVD Ripper3 to rip the same movie and got a FIALED attempt. havent tried another movie yet.
    I assume one setting or another was in conflict with another and wouldn't work.

After finding this forum and remembering that another friend had recommended Handbrake, I downloaded that, and last night I successfully converted a 6.81Gb movie to a .99GB MP4.

YAY!

Now trying the 7.48GB movie I use Wondershare on. and it looks as though it will only take about 1.5 to 2 hours to convert.

So, My ? is this;

I dont mind paying for a software if it does what I really want, so who knows which software will take a DVD and Rip/convert/ re-encode (whatever) into a playable HD MP4 that has a file size of around or under 1GB in one process?

I have a huge collection and I have already spent months of spare time ripping to the undesirable large file size. and I am willing (not happy about it, but willing) to convert the files I already have done. But I would really like to continue ripping to a smaller file size in one process.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do NOT CROSS POST !!!! I removed your other thread(or post).

No software can make HD from a DVD.

But what is wrong with handbrake or vidcoder? Install anydvd for background ripping.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Mar 2014 at 14:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok, Thanks Just didnt see the " post a new thread " at first, so I posted my query on a thread that seemed similar in nature and resolved. Thanks for deleting my post on someone else s thread as I didn't want to hijack.

And you know what I mean, I have been ripping to a HD H264 .mp4 format using OpenDVDRipper3.

Now maybe I'm an idiot and the quality isn't really improved to true HD while doing this, and I don't care!

I just want the best possible quality in as small a file size as possible in one process.

If anyone has done this and can outline the software and steps to accomplish this, I feel a lot of rookie rippers would appreciate this info!

PS This is my first time on this forum and I felt you could have not been so blunt with your "no software can make HD from a DVD" and no real follow up on my real query.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So you want one process, small size and upscaling to HD ?

Remember that many torrents may have been converted from hd blu-ray/hdtv sources.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NotCompletelyIgnorant View Post
    PS This is my first time on this forum and I felt you could have not been so blunt with your "no software can make HD from a DVD" and no real follow up on my real query.
    Well you asked,

Originally Posted by NotCompletelyIgnorant
    so who knows which software will take a DVD and Rip/convert/ re-encode (whatever) into a playable HD MP4 that has a file size of around or under 1GB in one process?
    What kind of an answer would you like ?

Oh sweety, I am so sorry but you really can not do such a thing as you see, HD is a higher resolution than a DVD, here, would you like me to hold your hand so you don't get scared ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, How can I change my user ID to CompletelyIgnorant.

After reading some other threads most everyone gives informative replies and tries to offer great tips/tricks and suggestions.

Why has my question made me out to be the bad guy.

A simple " you wont be able to increase the resolution but you can try this format..." would have been just fine.

ok Screw the HD..... How can I get the highest quality, best (possible from DVD) resolution, mp4 file in a size around or under 1GB?

If this still isn't the right question, can someone with a little more tolerance for my stupidity help me ask the right one and I will start a new thread that might get the response I desire and might be helpful to other rookie rippers
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Use vidcoder. Use the high profile. Under settings, video tab set it to 2pass mode and set it to 1gb output size.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I will try that when I get off work or tomorrow!

Very helpful
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Which was one of the programs Baldrick suggested in his first post!!
    LOL!!

When you complain about an answer you don't like when it is to the point and CORRECT, expect to get your balls busted!!

Quote Quote