VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am yet again having limited read speed with a new internal dvd burner. This exact model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131059

This is from another thread I made about a LG burner with the same issues.

"I am trying to use DVD Decryptor or DVD shrink to take off the movie files of a DVD. Before, I had an external Phillips DVD burner. It had speeds of about 15x when reading DVD's using either of those programs. Now I have an internal Sony Sata DVD burner.

I can only get read speeds up to about 7x, and it gets to that speed very slow. Nowhere close to as fast as my old Phillips. Nero drivespeed is set to fastest possible(16x according to the drive anyways)"

Pretty much same deal as this thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic360922.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. 16x is the max read speed. doesn't mean it will read anywhere near that speed in use. sounds weird but it has to do with limiting read errors, so windows won't force the drive into pio mode. 16x is the peak max and only on a perfect disc. try it on a commercial pressed single sided dvd and see if it gets there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
    I had an external Phillips DVD burner. It had speeds of about 15x when reading DVD's using either of those programs. Now I have an internal Sony Sata DVD burner.
    I can only get read speeds up to about 7x,
    That's why I kept my old LG as a ripper/reader along with my new LG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The max readspeed is always lkimited by these combination:

drive (hardware) - firmware - software - medium
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If this is all true then why does the old Phillips external read at a higher rate? It can get to 11x-15x. This one can't go above 7x.

I've tried downloading firmware updates and the like with the drives. I guess I could try a burned DVD-R movie and see if a drive rips at a higher speed.

I returned the Sony. I'm probably going to go with this Pioneer drive from Newegg. I've heard good things about Pioneer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

Thanks for the help guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG drives have always had RIP LOCK on their read speeds...dunno why they continue that. The PIONEER drives don't have RIP LOCK on their read speeds so it should rip fairly fast at 16x. But if you're talking about commercial dvds that are at least 8gbs then you get rip speeds of 12x. You could use MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT to enable faster ripping speed with that PIONEER drive.

SONY doesn't even manufacture their own drives. Last I knew they used NEC and or SAMSUNG to manufacture their drives.
    Quote Quote