VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I tried doing this conversion with FAVC and DVDFlick with no success (FAVC wouldn't process the files at all; DVDFlick had sync problems). Now, on reading the forums and trying with AVStoDVD which seems like a great tool, I was disappointed to find no audio at all on the 2 tracks, although there is audio on the menu. Can anyone look at the attached log and help me out? Much appreciated!

Steve
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi stevee02,

from the log file, the audio has been succesfully converted for both the source tracks:

Code:
    Created File: C:\Users\Steve\Videos\DVD_1_Title_01_1. Pre Match - UCL - Bayern Munich v. Chelsea - 720p - 19-05-12_1.ac3 (240.2 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: AC3 - 448 kbps - CBR - 6 ch - 48000 Hz - 16 bit - 1:14:57 hours (0 ms delay)
    Code:
    Created File: C:\Users\Steve\Videos\DVD_1_Title_02_2. First Half - UCL - Bayern Munich v. Chelsea - 720p - 19-05-12_1.ac3 (178.5 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: AC3 - 448 kbps - CBR - 6 ch - 48000 Hz - 16 bit - 55:41 minutes (0 ms delay)
    Moreover there are no errors messages in the authoring step (by Muxman).

Have you tried to play the resulting DVD disc on a standalone DVD player?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MrC, thanks for your reply.

I haven't burned the disc because when I load the VIDEO_TS folder in multiple software players on PC and Mac, there is no audio on the main titles (only on the DVD menu). When I built this same project with DVDFlick there was audio, but it was out of sync.

Doesn't seem worth it to waste a disc when there is no audio present, right?

I read that others had problems when leaving in "DVD-compatible" AC3 audio, but I am recompressing down to 128kb/s.

Any ideas what is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  4. As I mentioned before, I see no issues in the log file.

If you will you can make this trials (separately):

1. Leave 'Keep DVD compliant Audio' on in 'Preferences'/'Audio'
    2. Choose a different AC3 audio encoder (i.e. FFmpeg instead of Wavi+Aften)

If you still have no audio, could you please upload somewhere the source files?

Bye

P.S. A DVD/RW disc is not that expensive....
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MrC,
    Thanks for your continued help on this.

I tried both the steps you mentioned. Basically, the audio is missing when I choose any of the encoders and leave the "Keep DVD compliant Audio" box UNCHECKED. This is my preferred option, to encode at 128kbps in order to save space on the DVD for higher bitrate video. When I CHECK the "Keep DVD compliant Audio" box, there is audio present but it falls out of sync with the video.

I've uploaded the source files here:

Titles:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24846761/1.%20Pre%20Match%20-%20UCL%20-%20Bayern%20Munich%20v....2019-05-12.mkv
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24846761/2.%20First%20Half%20-%20UCL%20-%20Bayern%20Munich%20v...2019-05-12.mkv

Motion menu:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81141147/Uefa-Champions-League-Intro.wmv

Project file inc. menu structure:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81141147/UCL%20Final%20Disc%20One.a2d

Thanks so much for your help!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi stevee02,

I will download them and get back to you ASAP

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, just completed the trial. With audio re-encoding (Wavi+Aften), no issue at all: audio is there. If you want I can upload the resulting output.

I would again suggest you to burn the DVD on a RW disc and check with a standalone DVD player.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dare one ask why you are converting from PAL to NTSC ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC,

Thanks so much for doing your trials. I had no idea that you had replied to my thread - was waiting for an email notification from the forum that never arrived.

I've absolutely no idea why, but this doesn't work on my PC - there really is no audio either in the created folders or when I burn a disc. Very strange given there are no errors in the log.

If you happen to still have the output, and don't mind uploading it somewhere, I would be most appreciative.

DB83, converting because the DVD will be played on an NTSC system.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought.

You said in your OP "two (audio) tracks". Do you mean that each video has two audio tracks ?

If that is the case then both of these can not be ac3. One must be mp2 or pcm

And NTSC does not support mp2 AFAIK
    Last edited by DB83; 17th Jun 2012 at 09:57. Reason: audio info
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No - each video has a single AC3 track. Thanks for the idea though.

The only issue I can think of with my system is that I had previously installed FAVC, so had a 'legacy' AviSynth on there. Although again, I would have thought that if there were a problem, it would have generated an error.

Just removed everything and re-installed from the AVStoDVD package to try again. Wish me luck!

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would d/l the source files but they are rather large !!!!

What I do not understand is that you claim to be encoding the audio at 128kbps (quite low really) yet the log states the output audio is 448kbps.

So something seems to be screwed up there. Wonder what bit rate _MrC_ used.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed that too, and wondered if the AC3 stream actually contained blank 5.1 tracks or something like that. But I couldn't find anything in the options to correct this.

MrC, any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I say 'the AC3 stream', I mean the ones generated by Wavi+Aften, not the sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a closer look at the log.

The source audio is 6 ch. Your attempted output is (probably) 2 ch.

That could explain why avstodvd has produced a 6 ch audio file.

Methinks you need to take a closer look at all the audo options available. Or even force the encode to 6 ch. 128 kbps is probably not enough for that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks DB83. According to all the logs, both source and output are 6 ch and the bitrate actually increased. But I agree that this is likely where the problem lies and will investigate further.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I know knowt about 6 ch audio as I only encode for 2 ch. My brain tells me that 6 ch would need a minimum of 6*32=192 kbps. 384 kbps would be better.

Now, I trust you do not mind me adding this, if I was making this dvd I would not even attempt to make just one disk. There is just two much playtime for this match to get even reasonable quality.

Football, they say, is a game of two halves. So I would create two disks. Plut the first half on disk one. The second half, the extra-time and the penalty-shootout on the second disk. The playtime for the second disk is approx 90 minutes and that is more than enough for one SL disk. I assume you, of course, are burning to SL media.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input! Your point is well taken. The project has multiple discs, and the first disc contains the prelude and the first half. I am of course concerned about video quality, but it's a balance. I also happen to know that the recipient of these discs has a crap TV
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by stevee02 View Post
    I noticed that too, and wondered if the AC3 stream actually contained blank 5.1 tracks or something like that. But I couldn't find anything in the options to correct this.

MrC, any thoughts?
    By default, as explained in the Help section, AVStoDVD will keep the original bitrate value IF the source audio has 6 channels, to prevent audio quality degradation. Number of channels (6) will be prevented as well.

If you want to downmix to 2 channels, to whatever bitrate, you have to force AVStoDVD in 'Edit Title'/'Audio' section.

Right now I'm not at home to upload the resulting flawless output. I will do that as soon as I can.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much guys for giving your time to help out a novice - it's much appreciated. MrC, you've created a great tool and I'll read the help section thoroughly now to hopefully save you from answering further questions

Steve
    Quote Quote