VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. By my calculations I should be getting a nice refund and after making a donation to the Saint Jude's Children's Hospital, I plan on moving up in the computing world.

I am almost certain as to what I will be getting but I just wanted some feedback/validation on my choices. First things first, there are a few "rules" for this build:

a) No Skylake. As you guys must be aware by now the "K" variants of Skylake do not come with a cooler and unfortunately it seems like the wafer the chip is built on is too thin and has a tendency to break during the installation of certain 3rd party coolers. Furthermore, the whole Skylake bug that's been discovered has turned me off to this family of cpu's, plus I can't help but feeling like Intel is going to be releasing a new stepping or update soon that will make Skylake buyers feel dumb for buying that family of cpu's.

b) Desktop Haswells are a no-no also. In case you guys don't know there is a well known issue with desktop Haswells where they run really hot when executing heavy AVX2 code and consequently thermal throttle like crazy, this being most evident with x265 encodes. From what I have read it seems other than de-lidding the cpu and having the cooler directly touching there is little you can do about it and I don't trust myself to de-lid a cpu.

So I am pretty much settled on a Haswell cpu. I know what I said about desktop Haswells but from what I have read it seems that when temps rise desktop Haswells keep the voltage the same but lower the clock speed in order to drop temps while Xeons drop the voltage but keep clock speed the same.

I am leaning towards this 8 core Xeon for $530:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442351/Xeon_E5_2630V3_24GHz_LGA_2011-V3_Boxed_Processor

As you guys can see it's only a 85w processor and it supports smp if I ever decide to buy another one and put them on an smp motherboard, it also comes with a cooler; I am also thinking about maybe a cheaper Xeon based setup like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442355/Xeon_E3_1231V3_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

This one is a quad core Xeon with HT for just $210 and best of all I can pair it with a cheap $60 motherboard (I checked, the H81 boards support Xeons).

My current setup is an i5 2400 with 8 gigs of ddr3 and my main concern is x265 encoding and hevc editing in general.

I also found a very interesting "gently used development system" on eBay that consists of 16gb ram, i7 980x (6 core, 12 thread), 300gb ssd, 2tb hdd, and an AMD video card in a SSF with a fully licensed copy of Win 7 modified with the registry hacks to eliminate the MS calling home and Win 10 upgrade nags, all for $300 reserve bid. I already placed a bid for the $300, about the only thing that gives me pause is that the 9xx i7's used tri-channel ram; since this comes with 16gb ram it can't possibly be using a tri-channel ram setup yet the seller swears that the system boots into Windows and has screenshots as proof.

I plan on using Linux in whatever build I choose, so the Windows license isn't a big selling point for me and since I already own a 960gtx I don't need integrated graphics (quick sync doesn't hold much appeal for me).

I have also seen some nice deals for "system pules" on eBay where you get 24gb of tri-channel ram, high end supermicro
    board and a 980x for $380, not a bad deal.

So, any feedback is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Linux may limit you to certain video editor's that you may not like. Those price's seem to be too good to be true so buyer beware.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Linux is no problem, I have several machines running them. Avisynth seems to be a little less capable under nux but I don't do restoration work at all. So although it's in my tool belt it's not an issue for me.

To me, I find clock speed to be very important in editing/encoding/conversion. I'm sure with what you've listed any of them will be a major upgrade.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you care about heat I've heard good things about the noctua NH-U12S. I found some posts about x265 and overheating on doom9, is there a complete review somewhere ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    a) No Skylake. As you guys must be aware by now the "K" variants of Skylake do not come with a cooler and unfortunately it seems like the wafer the chip is built on is too thin and has a tendency to break during the installation of certain 3rd party coolers. Furthermore, the whole Skylake bug that's been discovered has turned me off to this family of cpu's, plus I can't help but feeling like Intel is going to be releasing a new stepping or update soon that will make Skylake buyers feel dumb for buying that family of cpu's.
    I'm using the 6700K with a Noctua DH14, and it is only 61 C at full 100% use for hours. So far, no issues encoding video, which is basically a complex math problem. I think the issue with primes is overblown, and I doubt Intel will go in a different direction anytime soon. Skylake has 53 known erratas. In comparison, Broadwell has 89, and Haswell 153. This is actually fairly typical and it's no reason to panic.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I am leaning towards this 8 core Xeon for $530:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442351/Xeon_E5_2630V3_24GHz_LGA_2011-V3_Boxed_Processor

As you guys can see it's only a 85w processor and it supports smp if I ever decide to buy another one and put them on an smp motherboard, it also comes with a cooler; I am also thinking about maybe a cheaper Xeon based setup like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442355/Xeon_E3_1231V3_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

This one is a quad core Xeon with HT for just $210 and best of all I can pair it with a cheap $60 motherboard (I checked, the H81 boards support Xeons).

My current setup is an i5 2400 with 8 gigs of ddr3 and my main concern is x265 encoding and hevc editing in general.

I also found a very interesting "gently used development system" on eBay that consists of 16gb ram, i7 980x (6 core, 12 thread), 300gb ssd, 2tb hdd, and an AMD video card in a SSF with a fully licensed copy of Win 7 modified with the registry hacks to eliminate the MS calling home and Win 10 upgrade nags, all for $300 reserve bid. I already placed a bid for the $300, about the only thing that gives me pause is that the 9xx i7's used tri-channel ram; since this comes with 16gb ram it can't possibly be using a tri-channel ram setup yet the seller swears that the system boots into Windows and has screenshots as proof.

I plan on using Linux in whatever build I choose, so the Windows license isn't a big selling point for me and since I already own a 960gtx I don't need integrated graphics (quick sync doesn't hold much appeal for me).

I have also seen some nice deals for "system pules" on eBay where you get 24gb of tri-channel ram, high end supermicro
    board and a 980x for $380, not a bad deal.

So, any feedback is appreciated.
    I would stay away from Xeon unless you are going with dual cpu which gets expensive fast. Xeons are essentially throttled i7s but with a bunch of cores. You probably won't be happy with the performance (I know I wouldn't). Compare this to the Extreme skus which are essentially unlocked Xeons.

A 6700K versus your current i5-2400 will buy you ~2x the encoding speed for x264 HD. How this translates to HEVC/x265 I could not tell you. Obviously one of the benefits is access to the AVX2 instruction set. But, your current board likely supports Ivybridge, and a 3770K would get you a ~40% increase in x264 HD. So while it is not as fast as the 6700K, if you sell the i5 on ebay, it is a modest incremental investment unless time is money. But then if that is the case, I would bypass Skylake altogether and get a 5960X. That will get you a full 3x bump in x264 HD (yes, even faster than the 6700K). Or, alternatively you could wait for Broadwell-E which is suppose to have 10 cores and should be out soon. Now, that is what I am talking about for a program like x265 which is supposed to be heavily thread optimized.
    Quote Quote