VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The colors on my new windows 8 computer look waaaayyyy to bright and over saturated? Why my old crappy laptop looks better.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adjust your video card/processor settings. If it's a laptop or even a regular PC, many manufacturers turn up the brightness and saturation by default.
    I almost always turn them down to lower levels myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    really? i've been using nvidia video card drivers for 20+ years and never run across 1 that's not dead center. stock settings on monitors is another thing.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe your new laptop's display uses LED back lighting, which can cause the picture to appear more vivid than cold cathode lighting used in older displays.

I agree with redwudz. Try reducing the screen's brightness. This YouTube video demonstrates various means of doing that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0keQx2ubM

If that isn't enough, you may be able to tone down the color with the video graphics adapter's controls. I think you still get to those with Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Display->Adjust Screen Resolution->Advanced Settings. That should bring up a window with a tab that allows access to the VGA controls. There is also a display calibration tool, which you can find using 'Help and Support"
    Quote Quote  
  5. The desktop is fine. But the colors when playing videos looks nasty. It's over saturated and to much contrast. I wish It could have the same settings as my laptop. Even the sharpness and grain luck ugly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beav View Post
    The desktop is fine. But the colors when playing videos looks nasty. It's over saturated and to much contrast. I wish It could have the same settings as my laptop. Even the sharpness and grain luck ugly.
    What software are you using to play the videos and what new codecs did you install, if any?
    Quote Quote