VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

Sony Vegas converts media to RGB32 when loading it.
    I use xvid encoder because it is supported by hardware players, but it's output colorspace is YUV and I don't see any settings to change that.
    So, if my source media is YV12, I have two transformations:

source(YV12) -> Sony Vegas (RGB) -> xvid output (YV12)

Is there any freeware encoder with compression and several output colorspaces?
    Last edited by egochnpp; 13th Feb 2014 at 04:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. x264 should be OK (RGB is supported) - workaround for YV12 only codecs is to separate RGB as 3 planes (stacked in spatial or temporal way), later they need to be reconstructed for example by Avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  3. x264 will load RGB but it will convert that RGB into YUV 4:2:0

Adobe Premiere suppose to keep YUV space all the way, providing you restrain using certain effects ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    x264 will load RGB but it will convert that RGB into YUV 4:2:0

x264 supports RGB, YUV444, YUV422, YUV420. (Although the RGB is stored internally as YUV, it's decoded as RGB . There is no YUV<=>RGB quality loss from the transform, but it's RGB encoding is very inefficient)

I use xvid encoder because it is supported by hardware players, but it's output colorspace is YUV
    But YV12 is the only format widely supported by hardware players
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most of the lossless encoders can work in RGB. HuffYUV, Lagarith, UT Video Codec, etc. File sizes will be large, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, HuffYUV and Lagarith both allow you to force RGB decoding and encoding. If I was really concerned about preserving colourspace, that is the route I would go. Logarith will tend to give a better compression ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If compression ratio is important perhaps FFV1 can be helpful http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.html
    Quote Quote