VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I want to back up my VHS anime,
    by RCA capture device, editing in Virtualdub
    and encoding in MainConcept MPEG Encoder for DVD.
    My VCR doesn't have S-Video.

Here is a screenshot of the captured AVI YUY2 file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.avi_snapshot_09.16_[2014.03.07_01.51.44].jpg
Views:	4568
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	23933

It looks terrible.

I want to use filters in Virtualdub because you can't preview AviSynth.

So far I'm using:

-Null Transform (706x476) - I want to crop out VHS edges.
    -Asvzzz Deinterlace
    -Static Noise Reduction - Interlaced checked (6)
    -Frame Merger (2)
    -Dynamic Noise Reduction (16) - it won't let me choose besides 16.

Any ideas or suggestions would help.

I'm not sure how to crop/resize the whole thing.
    Any help, would help.

I also want to sharpen the image but don't know
    how to do it without hurting the original.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to post a video sample. And you'll have to work in AviSynth for the best results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by user10495 View Post
    I want to back up my VHS anime,
    by RCA capture device, editing in Virtualdub
    Which capture device?

and encoding in MainConcept MPEG Encoder for DVD.
    It's OK, but there are better DVD encoders. Free ones, too. But MC will do.

Here is a screenshot of the captured AVI YUY2 file.

[Attachment 23933 - Click to enlarge]

It looks terrible.
    Depends on the compression quality of your JPG image. A PNG would be better because it's lossless compression.

I want to use filters in Virtualdub because you can't preview AviSynth.
    Why not? Everyone else does. If you run the avs script in VirtualDub, what does "can't preview" mean?

So far I'm using:

-Null Transform (706x476) - I want to crop out VHS edges.
    -Asvzzz Deinterlace
    -Static Noise Reduction - Interlaced checked (6)
    -Frame Merger (2)
    -Dynamic Noise Reduction (16) - it won't let me choose besides 16.
    Don't use any of those filters. IF you crop off the edges, you won't have a frame size that's valid for DVD. If you crop and resize, you'll stretch the image.

I'm not sure how to crop/resize the whole thing.
    Again, don't resize.

I also want to sharpen the image but don't know
    how to do it without hurting the original.
    You don't change the original. You make a new copy of what you process.

Going directly from YUV to RGB improperly will do some damage, as your image demonstrates.

We can't advise properly from a jpg image alone. We need a sample of your original, unprocessed YUY2 capture. 10 seconds or so with some frames showing motion will do. You can post directly in the forum. If you need to know how to prepare a sample, just ask.

Do not deinterlace anime unless you know what you're doing. DVD is usually interlaced anyway.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I want to use filters in Virtualdub because you can't preview AviSynth.
    Why not? AVSPMod&Co should normally work fine,...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm sure he means you can't get realtime preview in AviSynth, like you can with most filters in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You move a slider and the preview changes, depending on your filtering it is faster or not.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And if you're using VirtualDub filters?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd say if you work with VHS caps, and especially if those caps are of anime, and if you care about the results, you have to work with AviSynth. And, as sanlyn mentioned, deinterlacing is the wrong thing to do. Sample, please.
    Quote Quote  
  9. How do I post the cut YUY2 video to this thread.

The capture device I'm using is I-O DATA GV-USB2.

Which MPEG2 encoders are better than MainConcept.
    I thought, Mainconcept was better than Cinema Craft Encoder.

Here is a png screenshot.
    It is from Media Player Classic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.avi_snapshot_09.16_[2014.03.07_04.55.09].png
Views:	1092
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	23939

I did not know you can preview Avisynth.
    I wanted to preview to see how the filters work before I encoded.

I don't know how to work with AviSynth.
    But I will try.

If cropping and resizing is not good should I leave it alone.

I deinterlaced because I thought it would look better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    You move a slider and the preview changes
    No, you have to let go of the slider for the preview to change. Unless there's a "realtime" setting I haven't seen -- I don't really use the program.

But as it turns out, that's not the issue the OP was concerned about!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by user10495 View Post
    How do I post the cut YUY2 video to this thread.
    Open your video in VirtualDub. Select Video -> Direct Stream Copy (so the video passes through untouched). Use the mark-in and mark-out tools to mark a segment. Select File -> Save as AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Deinterlacing might look better on a PC monitor, but most PC media players will deinterlace during playback (including WMP, MPC, MPC-BE, etc.). VirtualDub does not deinterlace in normal view. Deinterlacing and then burning to DVD might look OK on a PC, but motion will usually not be as smooth on TV.

Anime is almost always telecined and/or uses field or frame blending, and can also be interlaced on top of that. That's why we need a sample of your video. Deinterlacing telecined or blended video is a no-no, and the damage is permanent.

There's notjhing "wrong" with VirtualDub filters. But there are some things you can't do with VirtualDub that should be applied before changing the original colorspace for work with apps like VirtualDub.

As for AvsPMod....if you don't know Avisynth yet -- it's not all that difficult -- then AVsPMod will be difficult to handle.

How does one view the results of an avisynth script in VirtualDub? In VirtualDub you use "File..." -> "Open video file...", the same way you do when opening an AVI or other video. But instead of a video you open an .avs script. The results of the script will display just like any other video. You can also use VirtualDub filters at the same time and preview their results while running the Avisynth script.

Ooops. I was going to describe how to create a video sample in VDub, but jagabo beat me to it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the sample. Here's a tip: the file that you submitted was not YUY2. It's uncompressed RGB. The original size of the AVI you saved in VirtualDub was uncompressed RGB at 305.6mb. Compressed with RAR, its size as submitted was 115mb. If it had been saved correctly using direct stream copy and losslessly compressed with Lagarith or huffyuv, its file size would be 70mb or less. It was apparently saved at your end using "full processing mode", which changed the colorspace to RGB24 and left it uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sorry for the mistake. Will repost.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've already recompressed my copy with Lagarith. But if you like, you can save a new one using direct stream copy and replace the old one. That way, you don't have to use RAR. With Lagarith it will already be compressed as far as it will go, so RAR would be unnecessary.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:31.
    Quote Quote  
  16. which AviSynth filters should I use to clean up this video.
    Quote Quote  
  17. There's something severely wrong with that video (and the earlier one) -- it has terrible frame/field blending. The first thing to do is verify that the problem isn't caused by your capture process. Try capturing a movie shot on film and verify that it doesn't have similar artifacts. If you see the same artifacts you need to look through your capture settings to eliminate them.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Mar 2014 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I captured in VirtualDub with default settings with my I-O DATA GV-USB2.

When I play the VHS, scanlines show on the LCD TV.
    Maybe theres a problem with the original tape.
    Unfortunately, the series is only available on this VHS.

I don't really have a camcorder I could use.

For the capture settings,
    I just installed the driver and used VirtualDub to capture
    in its default settings.

What capture settings are recommended for VirtualDub.

Are there other recommended capturing software.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just returned home and looked over your sample. This video at one time was 15 or 20fps progressive animation that used a combination of duplicate frames and telecine (telecined frames look "interlaced: on most editors) to get 29.97 playback. Apparently that telecined video was incorrectly field-blend deinterlaced back to 23.976 fps film speed, then telecined again to get back to 29.972 fps. Unless other members can come up with new ideas, I found nothing that unblends permanently field-blended frames. By using an inverse telecine plugin, the later round of telecine can be removed to return the video to 23.976 fps film speed. But the earlier field-blended frames are a permanent fixture. Unless other members can present new ideas, I found nothing that can restore field-blend deinterlacing. But a few members here have more expertise on that specific issue than I do. They might have a solution. It is possible to remove as much telecine as possible and to remove almost all of the duplicate fields. However, the result would be a mere 10 fps, you still have blended frames, and motion stutter will be worse than with inverse telecine.

In other words, deinterlacing will accomplish little more than data loss, will cause jerky motion, and will make it impossible to correctly re-interlace for DVD or other standard formats that are usually interlaced or telecined.

Otherwise, overall the video doesn't look as bad as your jpg image did. It doesn't have much noise, but it does have some slightly crushed darks in a few spots. I'll be looking it over for ways to tweak , in Avisynth and Virtualdub alike. It will take a while to get a few sample settings prepared. Back later.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't think I see the scan lines when I play the VHS on the LCD TV.
    As soon as I capture in VirtualDub, I start to see scan lines.
    I am using the default settings, but is there something wrong I am doing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The scan lines? The interlacing, you mean? Your TV set deinterlaces; VDub doesn't, unless you turn on a deinterlacer.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Often during opening credits or recaps the frame rate is altered to speed up or slow down the video. Blending is often used in these case. That could be what's happening here. Another clip from the middle of the episode might be helpful.

If it turns out the whole episode has blended fields/frames like this you might consider leaving them alone. Reducing the frame rate but leaving a significant amount of blended frames can make the blending more obvious (because you see the blended frames for a longer time).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, jagabo, I was about to make the same suggestion. A sample from later in the video could give us more information about those problems. Even if you leave the video structure as-is, there is still a lot you could do with VirtualDub. However, I'd suggest that you use some very basic Avisynth built-in functions that can prepare the captures in a better way for use by VirtualDub. This would not involve learning to use a lot of Avisynth plugins or fancy scripts, but simply opening your captures for loading into Virtualdub. From that point I can suggest better filters than those you were using.

Another sample from later in the video will give us more to work with and demonstrate the use of better filters.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Also, try to include a long-ish panning shot if you can.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Attached, two versions of the sample 3.avi. Each used the same filters and procedures. The second sample added an additional VirtualDub filter for a little less noise and more sharpening.

The original 3.avi was opened in with Avisynth and built-in filters were used to set basic levels and color balance. Only one Avisynth special plugin was used, to control output levels for DVD video standards. The other "filters" are all built-in Avisynth commands.

The remaining work was done in Virtualdub. The filters used were:
    - temporal smoother (built-in)
    - msharpen
    - camcorder color denoise
    - FlaXen VHS filter
    - ColorMill
    - ColorTools histogram

The second attached version Three_sample_NV.mpg added the NeatVideo VirtualDub plugin. There is a little less VHS noise. Each camera shot in the sample was cut in Virtualdub to 5 short clips and color corrected individually, then re-joined as a single video. The results were encoded with TMPGenc Plus 2.5, and audio was resampled to Dolby AC3 and rejoined to the video with TMPGenc MPEG Editor.

Your video shows serious line-timing errors that cannot be resolved with software. Line timing errors are responsible for the "wiggle" and shimmer you see in your videos. To resolve this issue you need a VCR with built-in line tbc or a pass-thru line tbc device, which could be a good used panasonic or Toshiba DVD recorder. Older models are preferred to new ones, which are useless. There is no other way around this problem. There are several ongoing threads in the forum that discuss this issue in detail.

You need a better VCR and a better capture device. Those, and some knowledge of Avisynth and basic color theory are the ways to improve quality over what you see attached.
    Quote Quote  
  26. My approach was all in AviSynth.

Code:
    AviSource("3.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    ColorYUV(cont_y=30) # bump up the contrast
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0) # get rid of rec.601 borders

br=ColorYUV(off_u=-3, off_v=6) # white balance adjustment for bright areas
    dr=ColorYUV(off_u=1, off_v=-3) # white balance adjustment for dark areas
    mask=GreyScale().ColorYUV(cont_y=70, off_y=10) # brightness as a mask
    Overlay(dr,br,0,0,mask) # overlay the two adjustments
    ColorYUV(cont_u=30, cont_v=30) # pump up the color saturation a bit

ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true) # YV12 for further processing
    QTGMC(preset="fast") # smart bob

Dehalo_alpha(rx=5, ry=0.1) # reduce VHS oversharpening halos
    Bicubicresize(400,480) # downscale to reduce some defects
    MergeChroma(McTemporalDenoise(settings="low"), McTemporalDenoise(settings="very high").aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # different noise reduction for luma and chroma
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=480)  # upscale back to full D1
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5) # warp sharpen edges a bit
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.3) # and a bit more
    I didn't adjust contrast and colors shot-by-shot, just one compromise setting for the entire video. If you're going back to DVD you need to re-interlace the video at the end of the script:

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good. The Avisynth filters can do more cleanup than VirtualDub. I did a simple resize/upsize for some defects and line thinning and fixed average levels. Hope the O.P. isn't afraid of some Avisynth, it's an essential for messy anime clips. MCTD might be a little daunting, but once once haa its support files, one can do even more.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:32.
    Quote Quote  
  28. My computer malfunctioned and I lost all my data.
    I had to recapture for 40 mins and cut the video again.

I'm not exactly sure what panning means,
    but I think this scene is what it is.

Here is the sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xs9fdxo08jvlbor/1_2.rar
    Quote Quote