VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I took out the trash today and by the dumpster was a Motorola DCH3200 set-top box for use with Comcast cablevision. Since it's all solid-state, I'm pretty sure it works. There's no remote or wall plug cord but I think I've something lying around to remedy the latter. Although I'm very busy at the mo, I'm thinking about hooking it up. What do you think?

PS - Last I looked, Comcast is one of the top 15 worst companies in the USA with horrible service and shoddy marketing practices. They took away half of our basic cable channels then had the nerve to send a rep over to try to sign us up for a premium package. They truely blow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    I took out the trash today and by the dumpster was a Motorola DCH3200 set-top box for use with Comcast cablevision. Since it's all solid-state, I'm pretty sure it works. There's no remote or wall plug cord but I think I've something lying around to remedy the latter. Although I'm very busy at the mo, I'm thinking about hooking it up. What do you think?

PS - Last I looked, Comcast is one of the top 15 worst companies in the USA with horrible service and shoddy marketing practices. They took away half of our basic cable channels then had the nerve to send a rep over to try to sign us up for a premium package. They truely blow.
    I hear ya ... I have Directv but a lady friend uses Comcast ... the Summer of 2008 ... I put a PC together for her with a ATI HDTV wonder PCI card in it. Worked nice ... I told her to connect the basic cable to a Y splitter and send the non - encrypted signal to the ATI card. Worked pretty good ... she had alot of channels to choose from using the MS Media Center on her version of Windows.

Well ... Summer of 2010 ... she moved from Hanford CA to Lemoore CA ... 7 miles west of me ... and now she gets a message stating she needs a box to see those basic channels now ... if she puts a antenna on her Roof ... she could get all the basic broadcast networks in this area.

I do ... I've got a Bow Tie type antenna mounted on my chimney on a 15 foot pole and I get all the stations in this area. I do have a Outdoor Motorola Antenna amplifier connected to the feed from my antenna before going into my house and another one inside the attic ... splitted off to the other TVs in my/our house.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a Comcast subscriber. My advice: Turn the box in to Comcast, since it still belongs to them, regardless of where you found it. That is what the guy who left it by the dumpster should have done.

The box was likely deactivated, and is still tied to his account. Unless you are paying the monthly fee for the box, you have no right to use it, and it will not work unless it is activated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a Comcast subscriber, too, but they haven't been punished for their treatment towards me.
    Unfortunatley for them, I have a $50 finders fee.

I looked over my porch the other day and also found a part lying next to the apartment's outside cablebox. It's a small steel cylinder about 4 inches long with a male RF connect on one end and female RF on the other.

Looks like they can't hit the floor with their hat...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure that filter falling off will do you no good. The HD box you found will still need to be activated in order to join their network. That requires a phone call to Comcast. I'm thinking they might have a problem with that unless you pay them for the box. An HD box like the one you found would cost $9.99/month, if fees where you are are the same as where I am.

Their treatment of you is part of their digital conversion process. Been there and done that, in 2009. The process was completed here in earlier this year.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Dec 2010 at 17:09. Reason: one word out of order
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember cable, they still have that? I remember they acted a lot like Blockbuster. Thought they were kings of their hill, hahaha.

I flip a booger on them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ha ha
    I'll just give Comcast a call in the next week or so...Kinda busy right now to be waiting around for the cable dood to be showing up looking for all their equipment...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Zoobie-remember to use a better thread title,i changed yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote