VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have used AVIMUX in the past to join two files together when VirtualDub could not. I really like the program and think it is a very easy and quick solution to the editing process. However, I am unable to join two avi files together now, and can't find anything in the manual to help me solve the problem of why.

The two avi's have the same framerate. I have selected both of them as video sources. However, when I click the Start button, it starts making a new AVI of only the first video instead of splicing the two together. I don't believe the bitrate on the audio is the same in both files, but the reason I initially started using AVIMUX was becuase it was recommended to use it when receiving errors involving sound. I tried opening the videos in VirtualDub, and I received the following error message:

VirtualDub has detected improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compabtility. This may produce up to 35432 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate 130.1+- 21.1 kbps)
    Is there anyhting I can do for this, or do I really have to recompress the audio? And if so, can anyone please share some tips on this, as I've never done this before? Thank you in advance - any help is greatly appreciated .

EDIT: I tried it with a different set of AVIs, and it again only started encoding the first one, forgetting about the other two that I wanted to add to it. Is there some step I'm missing? I think I'm doing everything exactly as I did the last time, when it worked out almost instantaneously.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The error you got is a generic error meesage that VDub spits out whenever it hits audio it doesn't recognize. I got this kind of error message whenever I tried to work with an avi file that had ogg vorbis audio or mp3 audio.

The solution in that case is brute force: use VDubMod to save the audo file as an uncompressed WAV file. Then demux the video and do whatever you have to with the video. Then join the two WAV files (easy enough in Adobe Premiere or Vegas Video or Ulead MSP Pro) and finally re-encode the audio into ogg or mp3 or whatever and remux it with the video.

Ugly and slow, but it works like a charm.
    Quote Quote