VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’m using v6.0.2 64bit of MKVcleaver on Win 7. I can’t seem to get it to change the file extensions from unknown. It extracts all files just fine – but all with 'unknown' as the file extension.

I followed the directions in Sheck's how to section
    http://blogs.sapib.ca/apps/mkvcleaver/mkvcleaver-how-to/

I first go to Tools>Get Codec(s) from files. I select my mkv file. It opens the Codec List box. I select my codec (ex V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC ) from the right hand column, press Enter, and it opens the space to enter in the left hand column. I type h264 in the left hand column, then press Enter and the left column just stays active, with cursor flashing, with the h264 in it, like it isn’t accepting the command. I move onto the next (ex A_AC3 ) press enter,and follow the same procedure this time entering ac3 in the left. Press Enter and same thing – the left hand box stays active with ac3 in and cursor flashing, like it’s not accepting that command either. If I then click Save, the Codec List box stays open as if it is also not accepting that command. I have to close the box by clicking the close X upper right, just assuming it worked ( but output is the same unknown file )

Then if I move onto Tools>Edit Extensions. It opens the Extension Editor box. If I select my codec from the drop down box (ex V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC ) it populates the right hand column automatically with .h264, so that previous process in Get Codec(s) from files part might be working? Not sure. So after seeing the correct Extension in the Extension Editor, I click save and it also stays open. I have to click the upper X to close, making me wonder whether it actually has saved it.

I click Extract Tracks! to extract, and they extract still as unknown file types. I tried version 5.0.3 and 6.0.0 as well and same thing. I uninstalled and re-installed all and still no luck. Cleaned out the registry and tried again to re-install and still same results.
    I did manually change the extracted files to h264 and ac3 and then they load and mux fine in MYMP4box, but I’m using MKVcleaver for the batch feature. Otherwise it’s back to opening a huge file list individually using MKVExtractGUI2.

Any suggests?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just go back to mkvtoolnix v6.6.0 until this issue is solved.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Endoro! That solved it. It never occurred to me it could be a result of incompatibility between those versions of mkvtoolnix and mkvcleaver. But it now works! Appreciate the response and the help.Thx
    Quote Quote