VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Is there a way to convert a 2 channel audio source (such as a wav or mp3 or mp2 or even a 2.0 AC-3) to a 5.1 AC-3 audio file? I assume there might be a way with BeSweet but I never tried it and don't know how to go about it. I don't recall ever seeing a guide anywhere on this topic.

The reason why I want to do this is that I have a stand alone Pioneer model DVD player and as many Pioneer owners have found out ... MOST Pioneer models will not work using a 2.0 AC-3 file created with BeSweet. However, I found out that my Pioneer WILL work with a 5.1 AC-3 created with BeSweet. However I've never made a 5.1 AC-3 from anyother source than another 5.1 AC-3 file. So we are back to the question of how to create a 5.1 AC-3 from a stereo only source.

I would assume something like this would have to be done:

Seperate the original 2.0 channel file into 2 wav files. One would be the left channel only and one would be the right channel only. But all wave sound files have two channels right? Or should you use a single channel wave, if that is possible? Or just use a 2 channel wave with one having both channels be the right channel and the other having both channels being the left chanel?
    Then ...
    Copy the Front Right channel to the Rear Right Surround
    Copy the Front Left channel to the Rear Left Surround
    Make a mono source of the stereo source for the Center channel
    Make a mono source of the stereo source for the subwoofer

That seems to make sense although I'm not so sure about the subwoofer channel. It would seem best to maybe make a mono source from the stereo and then somehow filter it so just the BASS below a certain frequency remains. But I'm not sure how to do that or what frequency to use as the cut off.

I know BeSweet can make a 5.1 AC-3 file from 6 wav files. So I guess if you can convert your 2 channel audio source into 6 wavs using the model above it would work.

Anyone got an idea on how to do this and in what program and in what way to make the wav sound files?

I don't care if the final 5.1 AC-3 is not TRUE 5.1 Surround. I just need a 5.1 AC-3 so I can get the sound to work on my Pioneer player. I'm sure there are many other Pioneer owners who could benefit from this

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool edit pro 2.1 will do it for you automatically
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sonic Foundry Soft Encode will also do it for you from a 2 channel wav file
    One day I might get it!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I was thinking of using for a pseudo-ac3 stream from stereo source.

-Create two mono tracks from stereo tracks.
    -First mono track will be center. Filter for vocals (cut volume on music and fx).
    -Second mono track will be subwoofer. Find a good cross-over point (250, 500, 1k hz) and cut volume on everything above.
    -Duplicate the stereo tracks for surround tracks. Drop volume and play with dynamics/envelopes/delays/etc.

Should get six mono waves out and use besweet or soundforge to convert to ac3 stream. Remember to normalize all tracks. Final trick is to re-mux with video and get everything synced up nicely.

- Styro
    Quote Quote