VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Main goal is not to add another piece of $100 equipment. And since these wired mics are I think they call them 3.5mm and most mixers are XLR I didn't think that was an option, but if it is, Please let me know and maybe I just save up.

So I have a decent 2012 era camcorder which has a headphone and a mic out. I am going to be doing a few interviews and at the present time will be using 2 wired lavalier microphones, but I only have one input/output to the camera.

I think OK, no problem I'll take one of those small splitter boxes (or a Y cable with 2 female and 1 male) which allows you to use 2 sets of headphones and I'll use 2 microphones instead. Well that doesn't work LOL.

Is there a way to get this done, secondly would be is there a way to get this done inexpensively. One person at the store suggested a mixer, but it was all XLR and these are those small Iphone sized plugs so that wouldn't work.

Am I missing something here? A cable, or some small $50 mixer which I plug in 2 microphones into and then can plug some cord from a mixer into the camcorder. I'm so clueless and hope someone can help me please.

Thanks to everyone who stops to read this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are many mic mixers with pin plug connectors. You might need to use a 1/4 inch adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Could you please be more specific, make model and how this is accomplished.

Here is an example, someone sent a link of this item from sign video.
    http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm#xlr_back

It has 2 inputs for wired mics (the way I read it I need adapters for my normal sized (whatever normal is) inputs to get them to fit their inputs.

Anyway, so 2 large issues come to mind.

1) There are 2 small wired mic inputs (good I think ) but on the back there are 2 XLR's. My camera doesn't have XLR inputs, just a mic and a headphone.

2) It is supposed to twist onto the bottom of your camera with the universal sized screw. I'd already have a Sony mono pod (with 0 inputs or outputs, I only said that because someone suggested I could use the input or output on the monopod. Or, I'd have the camera on the tripod and wouldn't be able to hook up the XLR Pro machine because of no screw to LAN it to.

I wouldn't be in position to just let it sit on a table, I need the rig to all be one either stacked on the tripod, or all handheld.

Can you offer any new help based on that?

Once again thank you for your assistance, I feel pretty bad that I'm not better with these issues.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are many mic mixers with pin plug connectors. You might need to use a 1/4 inch adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. An example of a 4 channel mic mixer with 3.5 mm and 1/4" pinplug inputs (and outputs?):
    http://www.amazon.com/AmpliVox-Sound-Systems-Microphone-Mixer/dp/B002R7ZDC4/

I don't know if it will work with your camera but here's a hot shoe to 3.5 mm mic adapter:
    http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0135/index.shtml

So you should be able to find devices that work for you.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Apr 2012 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote