VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I had a DMR-EZ48V wtih recording problems and was provided with a refurbished DMR-EZ485V model on January 22, 2010.
    I am having timer recording and playbackproblems. When set to timer recording and using a formatted DVD-RW disc the unit sometimes does not come on at the specified timer recording time and I get a U99 message. After switching off the unit and testing using a 1 min delay tthe unit records. I also get 'Self-Check' messages etc.. Used Sony, Fugi, and Memorex DVD-RW discs with the same results.
    I have another same model purchased 12/29/09 with the same problems
    Ray Best
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately you've got the worst of the Panasonic EZ recorders, which for the most part aren't all that great. The EZ-48v is full of bugs, quirks and design flaws. You can exchange and return all you want and you'll probably not get one that works for much longer a month.
    Sorry to be so blunt but the EZ-48v is that bad. If you could do without the VHS part, the EZ-28 is a fair amount better, or even better if you could do without the tuner would be the EA-18. The VHS combo tunerless EA-38v is also better than your EZ-48v but very little is posted about it. Better for reliability than any of the current Panasonics is the Magnavox 2160a with a HDD, it's available new at Walmart and occasionally(not currently) refurbished at J&R electronics out of NY for $159, a real steal.
    If you want to read more users remorse on the EZ-48v check out this thread at AVS. In the same forum they have a nice detailed sticky thread on the Maggy I mentioned.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014536
    Your media for the most part isn't part of your problem, the EZ-48v is just that buggy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply to the following problems with my Panasonic DMR-EZ485V DVD recorder:

Panasonic DMR-EZ485V DVD-Recorders- two units.
    One unit purchased 12/29/2009, the other a refurbished unit received after returning a DMR-EZ48VK in December, 2009 ,still under warranty ,because of multiple problems.
    Problems with both units
    1. Switch on, sometimes no sound; have to switch off and then on again to get sound.
    2. Only Memorex, Fuji, and Sony DVD + RW discs have been used on the units.
    3. With timer delayed recording, after trying to record, panel message says : ‘There might be a problem with the disc. Self check will start.’ After completion there is nothing recorded on the disc. The disc has been successfully recorded on the unit before! Happens three to four times a week. Sometimes the delayed timer recording does not come on but If I use a minute timer delay for the unit to go into the record mode it records 100% of the time.
    4. Unit frequently freezes. Have to unplug at back of unit.
    5. Frequently get a U99 message after trying to use timer recording.
    6. After using Fast Forward x 2 x10 etc., when try to playback there is no sound. If I rewind a bit and play there is sound (happens 100 % of times).
    7. Sometimes the skip button on the remote doesn’t work.
    Because the store return policy has expired it seems I am stuck with returning these units and getting refurbished units. I need the features these units have - DVD/VHS capabilities, SVHS in/out capabilty.
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont have one of these machines...

Here is what I would do:

1) Never record with the timer
    2) Never record a VHS tape from the VHS part of this machine (actually would never even use the VHS part)
    3) Never record anything higher than SP
    4) Open up the machine, clean out all the dust, than I would run a head cleaner or lens cleaner.

On #3....

It can't read or place something on that sector or it can't burn to that sector, either way the problem can be 1 of three things

1) Bad Disk
    2) Can't read
    3) Can't write

If you clean out the machine this normally gets rid of this problem.

The no sound issue, haven't really seen this, just make you you are pressing play after you are moving the film or DVD. If you are playing at any speed other than the normal Play speed you will not get sound..

I have a panasonic recorder, that is 3 years old and done a ton of disks. Cleaning out the machine, every once in a while, very rare do I ever get any of those errors code. Maybe once in a while if a duel layer disk is used.

Once last thing, this is important: when u are done recording anything on these machines, press pause first, let the machine sit for like 3 seconds than press stop. Don't ever press stop to end a recording always pause first...

The main problems with the panasonic recorders are very strong marcoblocks in the picture. It is just how these machines record the video.

These machines are not good for playback on rare disks.....

For example a PAL video with no region code
    Or a Duel Layer disk burned from the PC
    (If it is a copy of a DVD9, it still may have problems during play back)
    Last edited by Deter; 4th Mar 2010 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is it possible to copy an S-VHS tape to a DVD for archiving purposes and retain the S-VHS quality on the DVD? What would you need?
    It seems you lose the S-VHS quality of the tape if the DVD recorder combo plays SQSP (Quasi). Right? That's what my Panasonic DMR-EZ485 DVD Recorder combo has.
    Can I copy a S-VHS tape using S-Video cables from a unit with S-VHS capability (not Quasi) to a DVD on my Panasonic DMR-EZ485 DVD Recorder combo? Will playback of the DVD be normal VHS quality rather than S-VHS quality?
    Thanks.
    Ray Best
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hun?
    The problem with most of the Panasonic recorders is a high level of Marco blocks in the picture. From close range this can be seen in detail.

Most of these Panasonic recorders have digital tuners which help with the picture a tad. S-VHS player with a TBC will help a ton.

Yes use S-Video cables....

I currently use a Panasonic recorder as a passthrough on some recording, basically use it for the digital tuner.
    (Also have adjusted some of the black level settings for output.)

Never seen or noticed any dropped frames from these recorders, so that is good. Going from S-VHS with TBC to the recorder, as long as the tape is ok, the quality should be pretty close to what u seen on the TV, however it will have Macro Blocks. Only record in SP or XP mode. (XP mode the Macro Blocks will not be as harsh)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As stated above, yes use a external S-VHS player and S-video cable to feed your Panasonic and you should keep the same recording quality as is on your S-VHS tapes. If you use the Quasi-S-VHS player in the combo it will just look like a VHS transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Firstly, thank you to all of you who are helping me educate myself.
    I realize I can run S-VHS cables from my unit that has S-VHS capabilities (not Quasi) and playback my S-VHS tape on it to record on a DVD+RW disc (for archiving) in my Panasonic EZ485V. Because my Panasonic has only Quasi S-VHS, won't playback of the recorded DVD be only normal VHS quality? So, why bother instead of just copying the S-VHS tape in the Panasonic as you will only get VHS quality on the DVD?
    Thanks, ahead of time.
    Ray Best
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because DVD quality is better than regular VHS quality, even better than S-VHS quality. Assuming you have a good quality TV and the cabling you've got coming out of your DVDR(or whatever you're playing your DVD copies on) is S-video or better(preferably HDMI or Component) your DVDs should look a fair amount better if the source is good S-VHS vs regular VHS.
    A recorder like your EZ-48v is capable of 500 lines of resolution on speeds of LP and better. Note for a good copy don't use LP but try and stick to SP or FR set to no more than 3hrs to reduce macroblocking due to bit starving.
    If you were recording to the VHS side of your EZ-48v you really wouldn't gain anything by feeding it from a S-VHS VCR vs a good quality standard VCR but since DVD has a higher potential than VHS you should see a gain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jjeff question for you? on your comment "you really wouldn't gain anything by feeding it from a S-VHS VCR vs a good quality standard VCR"

I see a gain just using specific hardware as passthrough devices...

The playback on SVHS players with a TBC aka Panasonic 1980 / Higher End JVC units the picture quality is so much better than on a normal VCR.

From the advise of Lord Smurf, went out and got a few old JVC recorders and see a major difference in quality just from the JVC filters.

Not sure also on the Panasonic machines if u can get 3 hour mode...

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant if you were recording to the VCR of the EZ-48v(since it's only VHS not S-VHS) you probably wouldn't see much difference if your source was a S-VHS or standard VHS. I suppose if you used SP you may see a small benefit, but since S-VHS mainly improves resolution and not so much S/N, so I doubt it would be much. Of course it's always better to improve the source no matter what you're recording to, just a point of diminishing return.
    As I said in my above post, to get a 3hr mode on a Panasonic you've got to use FR. For a new disc you'd set FR to 3hrs and after 3hrs the disc would be full and stop recording. The Panasonics do not have a preset 3hr mode, I wish they did, it would make life easier for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JJeff,

Honestly if you do it correct, you see a night and day difference with a normal VHS tape.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see i am not alone in having problems with the DMREZ485V. I have had 2 replacements and continue to have problems. I had a DMRE75VP for 5 years and it worked perfectly until recently.That's when I got the DMREZ485's as replacements under my extended waranty. When I set a timer program, I'm supposed to turn the unit off but when I do, it turns itself back on-then off then back on--maybe 20 times. sometims if I press the reset button it will stay off. Once it stays off the recording gets done but if there are 2 programs scheduled , the second doesn't record until I go thru all the procedure again. Pansonic added a lot of bells and whistles but neglected to get the basic functions to work correctly. I don't think the refurbished models that come as replacements are ever tested before they are sent out. Wish I had my old model back plus what i have spent on extended warranrty, shipping and insurance. I'm about ready to trash this thing.
    Would like suggestions from the group on what to buy. Need somthing reliable and not to complicated. I connect to the TV with HDMI
    Thanks for suggestions
    MHB
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did Panasonic replace your EH-75v with a EZ-48v that would be a nasty joke. The EH-75v is a HDD Panasonic that most consider the best combo recorder Panasonic made. The EZ-48v is in the group of worst Panasonics made.
    Panasonic continues to service the older(much better made) HDD Panasonics. Occasionally they'll try and talk you into a similar current product. Since HDD Panasonics are no longer imported(normal chains) to the US, for a combo the EZ-48v is about it.
    If you can get your EH-75v repaired that's your best option, other than grey market recorders Panasonic makes nothing like it(and even grey market they don't make a similar combo).
    If you could get by without the VHS part I'd suggest a Magnavox 2160a DVDR w/HDD, if you wanted to stick to Panasonic then a international EH series from places like B&H photo or WorldImport.com would be a good choice. Panasonic nor anyone else currently makes a decent combo, period. They are all junk for the most part, sad as it is. The heyday for decent combos ended with your EH-75v(in '06) nothing from '07 and on is any good for combos.
    Here's a link for the Maggy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
    Here's a link to a post with other links talking about international Panasonics http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    Lastly, here's a link talking about Panasonic DVDR repairs http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14451738#post14451738
    Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the inf0 jjeff. Possibly I could get by without the VHS. I'd like to know more about the units with hard drive. How do they work? Do you record to the hard drive and then move the recording to the DVd if you want to keepit? If you do that, can you edit it in the process? I'm still consiering all options.
    Thanks again
    MHB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hope this isn't a duplication. I tried a quick reply to jjeff but it doesn't seem to be there.
    Thanks very much for the info jjeff. I guess i could forego the VHS though I like having it.
    How does a unit with hard drive work? does one record to the hard drive and then ,if one wants to keep it move it to the DVD. Is editing possible during the transfer?
    THanks again
    MHB
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mblaine View Post
    Thanks very much for the inf0 jjeff. Possibly I could get by without the VHS. I'd like to know more about the units with hard drive. How do they work? Do you record to the hard drive and then move the recording to the DVd if you want to keepit? If you do that, can you edit it in the process? I'm still consiering all options.
    Thanks again
    MHB
    Ah you have a E75v('04 model w/o HDD). I just assumed you had a '06 EH-75v w/HDD and VHS.
    It looks like your E75v was Panasonics first combo and like the '05 ES-30v it has the incredibly handy dual display, one for VHS one for DVD.
    I guess I can see Panasonic subbing a EZ-48v for a E-75v since they are both HDD less, although IMO the E75v is far more of a machine than the buggy EZ-48v although the digital tuner on the EZ-48v is quite handy now days.

Yes with a HDD recorder you generally record everything directly to HDD and later edit or just High Speed(lossless) to a standard DVD. Recording to HDD first has many advantages to direct DVD burning. For one thing HDD recording is much more reliable than direct DVD burning. Once your program is on the HDD you can edit out commercials, add chapter marks etc. Finally you HS burn the program to a standard DVD. If your DVD fails during the copy you can just put in a new DVD and try again. With direct DVD burning if your burn fails for whatever reason you're SOL.
    The ONLY new DVDR meant for US sale is the Magnavox 2160a, you can purchase Panasonics, Pioneers, Sonys and maybe LGs from international grey market dealers but most don't have a US tuner and none have a digital tuner for US use.
    Wal Mart is probably the best place to buy a Maggy. You need to order it on the internet and have it shipped to your store for no shipping charge. If you don't like it you can just return it to your W/M but most people who try it usually keep it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again jjeff. I plan to order one from Walmart as you suggest and would already have done so except on the web site, the"a" is left off of the 2160.Does the "a" indicate a later model or did Walmart just leave it off. As soon as I find out I will order.Thanks again
    MHB
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The original model lacked the "a" but ones of the last few years all have the A.
    Another option if you don't want to pay sales tax is Amazon is now selling them with free shipping, of course returning to Amazon is not as easy as your local Wal Mart.
    Note the Maggy like most all newer DVDRs won't record to RAM discs like Panasonics but that's what the HDD is for. It's like one very large RAM disc, or as is more the case a RAM disc is like a mini HDD.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0020ZW8P8/ref=pe_71030_15054470_pe_vfe_t1
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    17 Apr 2010 01:54 AMDelete Edit Quote Reply Alert When I make a DVD +R on my DVD recorder- player, it will play fine on my DVD player or my computer. If I make a copy of it on my computer, the files look exactly the same but it will not play on the DVD player. I get a mesage "incompatible disk":. Is there any way to copy a disk made on a DVD recorder, using the computer, and have it play on a DVD player? I don't mind what kind of disk I need to use, I'd just like to be able to make a copy that will play on my player or someone elses's.
    I've ordered a DVD recorder with hard drive on advice from jjeff and maybe I can do this when I get it but it seems I should be able to do it with on my computer now. I have 2 DVDRW drives and also have Nero on the computer.
    Maybe this should be a new thread but I can't see how to start one. I'm new at this.
    Thanks Mblaine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Panny has taken a sad path: The original DVD Recorders were reliable - except for the VBR thing, and weighed a ton. If you want to get ahold of one of these: I still have a "second generation" DMR-E20 in excellent working order. It's sin: Only records to -R or -RAM media, makes a funny "half pixel, half video" thing in VBR mode, lacked a hard drive, and originally cost $620 shipped from J&R (bargain at the time). I have a newer dvd recorder with HDD, and it freezes, does not respond to the remote, you name it. It's the first I'd let go on ebay - just to be rid of it. The mid-term Panny DMR-E55 looks to be the keeper of the bunch, except I don't use a dvd recorder for video work any more.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    This unit is a total piece of crap. I bought one for my wife for Christmas to dub movies of our children from 8MM videotape to disc. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. After talking ad nauseum to technical support, who recommended about FIVE wrong things, they sent me a refurbished unit which recorded one half of ONE 8mm before it did the same damn thing. It gives a message implying I am trying to make a DVD copy of a copyrited videotape. It's my home frigging movies! Either the record button won't work without multiple punches, or it immediately, after about one second of recording, puts up that same message after recording one second of video. Then it wants to finalize the one second of recording.

I've spent about ten hours on the phone, two units. wasted a hundred discs, and near nervous breakdown.. The first unit worked fine for about three or four two hour 8mm tapes, then all the crap started. It just doesn't work. It is a piece of garbage as far as a recorder. I'll probably buy some other piece of crap unit that doesn;t work either. DVR recorders don;t work!.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone help me figure out how to record in XP mode on DVDs.

I am copying VHS tapes to DVD using this machine. I do not see a menu or other screen that allows me to select anything other than SP mode or felxible recording.

How do I specify XP mode for copying on DVD?

THe manual talks about doing this, but doesn't say how. When I go into setup, I get to choose EP 6 hours or EP 8 hours...

Thanks ahead of time. From reading the posts, the best conversion rate is XP mode correct?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Theoretically XP is better than SP but truthfully I see very little difference. Resolution wise they will be the same 720x480 but XP will have double the bit rate, which will show up in areas of extreme movement or things like strobe lights. If you starve bitrate you'll see macroblocking(picture breaks up into smaller squares).
    AFA getting into XP, I believe when you have a recordable DVD in the tray just push the REC MODE button on your remote until the display says XP. That speed should carry on to dubbing. The 6/8 hour setting in the SETUP for EP just tells the machine the speed to use when you select EP with the REC MODE button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is an old post, but got an email about Video Bluffs question.

Lord Smurf is actually really good with this topic and his advise has helped a ton.

SP is bad for Macro Blocking.....It also depends on your recorder.

From Lord Smurf's advise only use older JVC DVD recorders (not sure the model) maybe like MV1,MV5,MV10 or something like that from the 2004 era. Anything Newer don't use they are LG machines and not JVC.

The Old JVC decks have an LSI chip set which helps a ton with VHS stuff....

If u happen to get a crappy machine that goes in to loading mode over and over. Either check the DVD's u are usings or get the Caps in the unit replaced....

XP mode is 2 short.....Use FR80 mode, you don't get any macro blocking about 1 h 20 minutes to 1 h and 30 minutes per disk.

Because u are dealing with VHS, u can also use FR180 mode which is 3 hours per disk 352x480.

If these are just record VHS and quit, FR180 is more than likely good enough...If u want to do lots of edits to the videos use FR80 and u get a normal picture size with pretty good quality.

In closing more likely sell your current DVD recorder.......
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

I found XP record mode, but this does not seem to be an option when using the VHS deck and copy function of the DMR-EZ485V.

Some questions for the seasoned uers of this machine: I bought this machine to transfer old VHS home videos and 8mm home videos to DVD. I am using the RCA inputs at the front of the machine and recording directly to DVD in SP mode. Any tricks you can suggest. There has been some mention of adjusting the black/white settings, but what adjustments would I make and how would this help?

Also, the RAM discs are rather expensive and very hard to find. After I record and edit chapters on a RAM disc, is there some way to copy this onto a more available and cheaper DVD-R and then reuse the RAM disc? Or does copying denegrate the signal?

I bought this machine because my prior attempts to get various converter boxes to convert tape into digital on my computer was a disaster, signal garbled and picture was very poor. So far, this machine seems up to the task.

The RAM disc does not have a finalization function. I ejected the RAM disc and put it into my other DVD player but it does not recognize it. What's the trick on this? My computer will play it but not the DVD stand alone player. Is there a way to copy the RAM disc -- without losing quality -- onto a DVD-R or DVD-RW and finalize it so most DVD players will recognize it?

Thanks in advance for the help. The collective wisdom of you all is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Without having read this entire thread..... XP mode is definitely available on the Panasonic when copying VHS to DVD.
    DVD RAM is not designed to be used on standard DVD players, only on DVD recorders like yours which have that feature.
    Most current models of DVD ROM players on computers will read a DVD RAM, but that's about it

It would be easiest to just copy the entire VHS or whatever video straight to DVD-R on the Panasonic itself, finalize it,
    transfer the video to your computer, and use some type of software to do the necessary editing, and then re-burn a new disc on the computer. It's somewhat involved and time-consuming, but usually worth the final result.

If you had an older-style DVD recorder with a hard drive, then it would be a simple matter to transfer the VHS video and
    do the editing directly on the hard drive, then simply burn to DVD-R
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not too long ago several DVD players would play RAM discs but I don't know of any new ones that do.
    AFA converting RAM to -R, you'll need a computer to do that. HS copy the RAM disc to your PCs HDD and then burn to a regular R DVD. Due to the cost and limited compatibility I really wouldn't want to leave much on RAM discs, it's more or less a transport method to get to your PC. And no, you won't lose any quality going from RAM to your PC back to a R DVD, it should be high speed and lossless.
    I currently don't have a EZ-48v but I would sure think you can use speeds other than SP for VHS to DVD conversions but I'm not positive.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still cannot figure out how to copy VHS to DVD in XP using the built in videodeck and dvd burner... It will only record in SP..

Can anyone tell me how adjusting the white-black balance improves the picture? If the video is dark, I assume I adjust it up, if too light I adjust it down, right? Doesn't this machine do it automatically?

Thanks again for any help you can give.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video Bluff

You don't want to use a combo deck to do VHS to DVD. That is another mistake....

Again you want to use FR mode......Normally FR80 which is 1 hour and 25 minutes per disk......

Black Level controls? Is that what you are asking?
    Quote Quote