VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert my MOV files from my new T4i, using SmartSoft Creator DVD Pro. But while the program says it can convert MOV files, it doesn't recognize the files from my T4i.

Any thoughts? Is it the version of Creator Pro? (It's several years old). Do I need to try a different program?

Thanks,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  2. No clue about 'SmartSoft Creator DVD Pro', but since mov is only a container, they probably use the Quicktime Interface and if Quicktime doesn't support the mov file, neither can the software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you can play them on your computer you should be able to use them in an editing program. but like selur said that smartsoft thing isn't new or well known. you most likely would benefit from an upgrade to something like vegas studio platinum 12.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

it may be possible to convert the mov files to something smartsoft could use, if it can use HD 1920x1080p files at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just updated Quicktime, but am not sure what that does? Can you enlighten?

Since my original post, I've been reading stuff on the web talking about how Canon MOV is a "container" (whatever that is) and that it takes particular programs to convert the codec. Does that make sense?

I used the Canon utilities to convert to AVI but two things:
    First, the utility did not offer 1920 resolution.
    Second, I still could not play the AVI. It showed a weird menu suggesting that it was looking for a jpeg.

I need a lot of help...

Thanks,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime is Apple's media player. It can play many different formats including .mov, .qt., and .mp4. It allows you to view video on your computer the same way that Windows Media Player does, but in particular, using Apple's codecs. By installing the latest version of Quicktime you should now also have the latest codecs for .mov on your system. Simply put, codecs are required to play back video files of certain file types. The .mov file type is from Apple and they have control over the license for the codec. Windows, by default, cannot play .mov files and requires the Apple codec to be installed to do so. I suspect that is why your editing software cannot recognize the .mov files from your camera.

Canon DSLRs encode video to the Apple .mov format and require that you have Quicktime installed on your computer for playback and editing.

With Apple's Quicktime installed you should be able to open the Quicktime player and play the .mov files you transfered from the camera's SD card to your computer's hard drive. If they play in the Quicktime player but your editing software still cannot work with them then it might be time to consider a more up to date video editing software suite like Adobe Premiere or Vegas. The software Canon provides on the CD for working with photos and video indicates that they just expect that everyone who buys an EOS is going to purchase 3rd party software. The EOS utility for remote camera operation is a different story and I do suggest that you check it out if you have not already done so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried a few freeware conversion programs, but none convert at 1920 horizontal. I think I'm down to two questions:

1. Do I need a conversion program before I can create a video DVD? If so, can someone recommend a good one? (I'm certainly willing to buy one, if it is flexible and can convert HD files).

2. Are there any programs that convert the file and create a video DVD file both? (Maybe the answer to the first question will answer the second.)

What else to I need to do?

Thanks,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends. if you need to edit then you need an editor. if you just have a canon mov you want to convert to a dvd then AVStoDVD should work. and yes the HD mov files have to be converted to SD dvd compliant mpeg-2 before they can be used in a dvd authoring program to make a dvd.

i have a canon 60d and a t3i i shoot video with and have no problems. it's the same format as your t4i. mostly i use vegas pro for editing and rendering. it works fine make dvd compliant mpeg-2 when needed.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 16th Oct 2012 at 22:44.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Premiere in Adobe CS6 to edit video I shoot with my Canon 7D and T3i. Adobe also makes the low cost Elements products for both Premiere and Photoshop. They contain the core "Elements" of the pro versions and are a great place to start if you are just learning.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to both of you! I'm not so much interested in editing (yet!), mostly just getting the HD video onto a playable DVD. I'll look into those.

I have Photoshop CS4, don't know if that could handle editing with a plugin.

Paul
    Quote Quote