VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I have a movie server hooked up to my HDTV using HDMI (sony 50"), it seems as though the dvd player software is causing discoloration in some of the movies, especially during dark sense's (if any one has played with levels in photoshop with a dark picture you know what I'm talking about). The gradations are pretty crappy.

I have tried WinDVD, SonicDVD, and Power DVD players and the quality is about the same, WinDVD seems slightly better. The DVD player we have doesnt show the gradations. I'm not sure what to do, I've tried updating the video drivers and I'm out of idea's. Any help is appreciated, I'm running

P920
    2GB Memory
    2.26TB storage
    7600 Gforce
    x64

Thanks
    Dooooog
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    do you have your video card output set to 32 bit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Define "movie server".

What display card?

How does it look on a normal computer monitor?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Resolution is 1768x992x32bit (this fits on the TV, 1920x1080 overscans, picture is off the screen).

The video card is an EVGA 256MB PCI-Express 16x GeForce 7600GT.

On my other computer, I have only tried sonic DVD (cause it was free), it too has the same output, which tends to make me believe that as the video is being stored there is a loss in quality, but its digital data and there shouldn't be any losses.

Unfortunatley I cannot use windows media center, because it does not support disks larger than 2.0TB and I'm using a 2.5TB array (6x500GB raid5).

Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by folmoon
    Resolution is 1768x992x32bit (this fits on the TV, 1920x1080 overscans, picture is off the screen).

The video card is an EVGA 256MB PCI-Express 16x GeForce 7600GT.

On my other computer, I have only tried sonic DVD (cause it was free), it too has the same output, which tends to make me believe that as the video is being stored there is a loss in quality, but its digital data and there shouldn't be any losses.

Unfortunatley I cannot use windows media center, because it does not support disks larger than 2.0TB and I'm using a 2.5TB array (6x500GB raid5).

Thanks for the help
    So you are just playing normal DVD? Do you see these artifacts on the computer monitor? Are you sure you are in "pure video" mode?

Have you tried HDTV source files off air 1920x1080i MPeg2_TS at broadcast bitrates?

Since it goes through the 7600GT, settings will be important. 1920x1080i would overscan a small amount (~5%) on most HDTV sets.

I don't have a card here but I have seen good 1080i playback with this class of card.

MPeg4 is still CPU heavy with Nvidia ~60-100% CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes just trying to play a normal DVD. I also see the artifacts on the computer monitor. Not sure what "pure video" mode is (so probibly not).

I'll find a HDTV 1080i video and check the quality.

Where is this "pure video" setting?

Thanks edDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by folmoon
    Yes just trying to play a normal DVD. I also see the artifacts on the computer monitor. Not sure what "pure video" mode is (so probibly not).

I'll find a HDTV 1080i video and check the quality.

Where is this "pure video" setting?

Thanks edDV
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
    Quote Quote