VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some FLVs that suffer from this obscure bug , which is apparently never going to be fixed. I can confirm that the files play properly on the web where I found them and in adobe premiere pro, but show artifacts when played in VLC and when converted to mp4. Apparently the only way to bypass the bug is to use the original (proprietary) On2 VP6 decoder instead of other codecs like Libavcodec. So I downloaded that codec from the link above, but I have no idea what to do with it, since I've found no obvious way to integrate it with any of the media players I have (namely VLC and WMP).

Any solutions to this problem would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by sharecudorp; 2nd Apr 2014 at 06:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe an avisynth script with directshowsource(video.flv) and open it in virtualdub.

But shouldn't it be used when you play with WMP?
    Quote Quote  
  3. VLC uses only its internal codecs. So installing a DirectShow decoder won't help it. WMP only uses installed DirectShow codecs. But if you have more than one VP6 decoder you need to make sure the On2 decoder has a higher priority than the other(s). Or disable the others. You can use a codec tweak tool for that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just complementing what jagabo said:

first, make sure you have downloaded and installed on2_vp6_decoder.exe ,
    secondly, MPlayer surely can use the VfW version of the official VP62 decoder, and probably
    may be configured for using the DirectShow filter as well.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vp62filter.png
Views:	293
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	24363  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by bat999; 18th May 2014 at 07:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the way, if you're running on 64 bit Windows: 32 bit players require 32 bit decoders, 64 bit players require 64 bit decoders. Neither system can see the other's decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  7. But shouldn't it be used when you play with WMP?
    WMP only uses installed DirectShow codecs.
    I'm on win 7 and whatever version of WMP I have doesnt play FLVs at all, there isn't even the possibility to attempt it so far as I have found.

first, make sure you have downloaded and installed on2_vp6_decoder.exe
    This sure is an obscure file. The first hit on google is to this thread. I found a copy on some strange Russian website and ran it. Though I'm not sure there was anypoint in doing so.

Yes, 32-bit SMPlayer (installed with its "Binary Codecs") can use the On2 vp6vfw.dll supplied.
    Nice, this works. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sharecudorp View Post
    I'm on win 7 and whatever version of WMP I have doesnt play FLVs at all, there isn't even the possibility to attempt it so far as I have found.
    Because Windows 7 doesn't know what FLV files are. You have to install a DirectShow FLV file reader/splitter to tell Windows that FLV files are media files and give WMP the ability to open them and access the audio and video streams. Then WMP can use DirectShow codecs to decompress the audio and video and send them to the graphics driver and sound driver. Try LAV Filters ore Haali.

This is the whole point of DirectShow -- an extensible system. Anyone can come up with their own containers, codecs, etc. Once they provide the DirectShow components to handle them WMP (or any player that supports DirectShow) is able to play the videos without having to be written specifically for that container or codec.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sharecudorp View Post
    first, make sure you have downloaded and installed on2_vp6_decoder.exe
    This sure is an obscure file. The first hit on google is to this thread. I found a copy on some strange Russian website and ran it. Though I'm not sure there was anypoint in doing so.
    That installer was already available at Videohelp, BUT it was not "self-evident" at all
    (it was in the old-versions section of the VP7 page, and Baldrick has solved the problem ---
    --- partially at least, anyway).

As for Google --- please Please PLEASE, stop believing in the b00lsheet phrase "Google is your friend",

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359630-%5BS-E-0-%5D-x265-sucks-P?p=2275766&viewfull=1#post2275766
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 3rd Apr 2014 at 00:21. Reason: I hate typos : - /
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by bat999; 18th May 2014 at 07:37.
    Quote Quote