VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting a minimal blurness about every 10-15 seconds. The blurness started ever since I hooked my Toshiba HD-A20 to my Onkyo TXSR-605 and then my Toshiba 47" 1080P LCD with HDMI. I called Toshiba and Onkyo and they didnt know any cause. Does anyone have any solutions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try connecting it directly to the TV. That will help narrow down the posibilities.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I do that, I wont get the benefit of Dolby-true HD and uncompressed 5.1....C'mon man, I knew that!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to use it that way permanently. If you connect it directly and the problem continues, then it is likely the A20. If you connect it directly and the problem stops, it's the Onkyo. Without doing any troubleshooting, you won't find out the cause of the problem. Either way, this is likely a hardware issue that you won't be able to fix on your own. You need to know what isn't working so you can have it replaced/fixed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems like it's getting worse. It appears to be motion blurness. It occurred ever since I performed the recent update from Toshiba. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't heard of any other blurriness issues. You could return the A20 or take it to a repair center.

Before doing that, I would perform some troubleshooting. Bypass the 605 (it has had several issues) and see if the problem continues. It it doesn't, your 605 is the problem. If it's the same, take the A20 to a friends or back to the store and try it on another TV. If the problem continues, the A20 is faulty. If it doesn't, then your TV is at fault.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What issues have you heard of? I called Onkyo and they claim they havent noticed any issue regarding my situation. They suggested for me to reset receiver. I'll do that when I get home.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a very long thread over at avsforums covering the 605 issues.

The problem (at least from what you've posted here so far) is that anything we say is just guessing. You/we don't even know what piece of hardware is actually causing the problem. At this point it could be any of the three.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did some test and discovered that the Toshiba HD-dvd player may have the issue. I hooked up my Sony dvd player to my Onkyo and did not see the motion blurness. I also hooked the Toshiba directly to my TV and still saw a little blurness. It's strange because when I play HD discs in the Toshiba, I really dont see the blurness at all....STRANGE!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you are only seeing the bluriness when playing SD discs in the Toshiba?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Practically yes. To be honest, most of the SD discs have motion blurness, but not all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Toshiba drives are known for their upconversion abilities, and they are supposed to be one of the best players at upconversion. With that said, have you tried disabling the upconversion (or vice versa)?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No not yet, but why do I wanna select 480P or 720P when the whole purpose of playing SD discs in the Toshiba is to take advantage of the upconversion?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just assuming that what you may be seeing is a result of the conversion. If turning it off corrects the issue, then you will at least know what is causing the problem and you will have more information to provide Toshiba.

And the whole point of having a HD player is to play HD discs. Upconversion is just an optional benefit, which in this case doesn't seem to be a benefit.

The main problem know will be if the problem can be reproduced on another TV.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote