Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To put it another way...
    If you add the watermark, you MUST re-encode. This will entail some quality loss. If you can't lose quality, then you can't add the watermark.

I'll spare you my snide remarks about what exactly you must protect with a watermark, but maybe you need to re-think this idea. If you have something that you want to watermark to prevent it from being copied then
    1) it won't stop people from copying it
    2) it will just piss off people who bought it, assuming you sell it and it may actually make them more inclined to copy it, since you are being an ass by doing that. They will consider the video to be damaged deliberately by you and may just copy it and distribute the copies to teach you a lesson.

Most of the stuff that people want to watermark isn't that valuable anyway and if you have some kind of business model that depends on your video not being copied, your model is broken.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98
    To put it another way...
    If you add the watermark, you MUST re-encode. This will entail some quality loss. If you can't lose quality, then you can't add the watermark.

I'll spare you my snide remarks about what exactly you must protect with a watermark, but maybe you need to re-think this idea. If you have something that you want to watermark to prevent it from being copied then
    1) it won't stop people from copying it
    2) it will just piss off people who bought it, assuming you sell it and it may actually make them more inclined to copy it, since you are being an ass by doing that. They will consider the video to be damaged deliberately by you and may just copy it and distribute the copies to teach you a lesson.

Most of the stuff that people want to watermark isn't that valuable anyway and if you have some kind of business model that depends on your video not being copied, your model is broken.

well, im aware that it will be copied many times and distributed for free,
    that's ok with me, but at least i want to get some extra traffic and branding by putting the url of the site
    so i can at least a lil bit compensate for the lost potential sales

anyway, if i cant do it without losing quality i prolly wont do it for now

thanks for the fast answers
    Quote Quote