VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What is your favorite burning media for video?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So what do you prefer to use to burn video?

I still use single layer dvdr's. I have a bluray rom player but not a burner yet. I am not recording high def except for my dvr and it is not practical to save them using firewire realtime transfers right now. But single layer dvd is the best for me right now. I do have dual layer burning capability but no desire or price point yet.

I do have a Microsoft Zune now so I am encoding a lot to wmv for now.

What do you prefer?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Taiyo Yuden 16X DVD - most times, and occasionally Verbatim DL +. But more often, I just store the videos on a server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I use Taiyo Yuden 16X DVD - most times, and occasionally Verbatim DL +. But more often, I just store the videos on a server.
    When you use your server for storage instead of burning do you record at top quailty? What about mpg versus avi? Do you tend to leave it as a mpg in a bitrate suitable for single layer burning later?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Combination. Recently I just store the movies on the server and don't have to worry about the physical media.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Combination.
    60%=single layer
    30%=dual layer
    10%=CD-R
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been using the same box of rewritable discs for several years - burn, watch, delete - great for stuff I don't expect to watch again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Single Layer DVDs.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    single layer dvd media. favs are TAIYO YUDEN & VERBATIM.
    Quote Quote  
  9. VERBATIM,and USB flash drive
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313, I get where you are comming from w/ respect to this topic. I am curious on
    how others are archiving as well. Right now, I'm researching several methods but the one listed
    below is what I've been using lately, though that could change.

Since I'm burning to +R discs, I would think that the trick is to get the size to a reasonable
    size like 2048k or 4096k and dump them either as-is or slightely compressed. Read on..

redwudz, what burning speed are you using ??

I bought 16x DVD+R disks (a ton of them, and -R 's too) but I wish I had only gotten the +R 's
    in all because when I burn disks (data disc) I don't have to FINALIZE (which is an extra time
    consuming task for the -R disc's if I were to use them (less I'm missing something and don't
    have to on the -R discs) ) anyway. I burn a lot of +R disks by TDK and so far I have not had
    *any* issues to date. But, at 16x my burn speed is 10 minutes or more depending on size of
    the (captured) video files. I use my Ulead's Quick Burn because it allows me to drag n drop
    files onto it and one click burns as data disc. I like to dump my captures to these discs so
    that I cam make room for more captures.

However, I am researching alterntives to video archivals as we speak. One is On2 's vp6 codec
    and the other is direct stream copy to XivD in non-compressed setup, though it may be a tadd
    bit compression, I'm not sure how it if any. Files seem to list as 32k bitrate under virtualdub's
    info screen, and video doesn't look compressed or artifact, but rather like the originals. So,
    I'm still debating this and then some.

Do you think that I can burn faster (than 10-12 mintes speed) on these 16x discs, and if so,
    how ??

-vhelp 4637
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use 16X Verbatim with the Taiyo Yuden dye, perfect results every time.

I also have a Blu Ray Writer, but at the moment the price of Blu Ray media doesn't justify buying them.

On the side, I also store my videos on a secondary hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    CD-R
    DVD-R

CD-RW && DVD+RW for temporary stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ vhelp - don't they make 18x dvdr's now? I know it would only be franctionally faster than 16x but if you really want to push it you may want to look into a new burner and faster media. Just fyi.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DVD-R for archiving
    DVD-RW for DVD Recorder capture transfering to PC
    CD-R for music and photograph discs
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .. but if you really want to push it you may want to look into a new burner and faster media. Just fyi.
    Actually, the burn I have is fairely new. I got it partly because it was 16x (faster than all the
    others I've had in the past) and its only a year old. Got it during my upgrade to XP Home

Yes, I do want to push it, because accuracy is not really a factor here. I think that it is a
    bit exagerated (and depends on what your goals and things are) when the topic is discussed.

Ok. So, to get back on topic But as always, these things are subject to change..

Burner: Memorex DVD+-RAM 525G v1 -- April/2007
    ** DVD+R for archving captured analog cabletv of Lagarith and XviD codec
    ** DVD+R for archving HDTV raw recordings direct to disc.

-vhelp 4642
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    When you use your server for storage instead of burning do you record at top quailty? What about mpg versus avi? Do you tend to leave it as a mpg in a bitrate suitable for single layer burning later?
    I have about 5TB of storage on my two servers. But I prefer more compacted formats like H.264 or Divx/Xvid for the server. Most larger MPEG files I will eventually convert to a more compact format. (I'm running out of space. )

For DVD or backup DVDs, I have a couple of 400 disc DVD changers.

EDIT: Sorry, vhelp, I missed your question about burning speed when I posted this. I burn my 16X at 12X, though I never had any problems at 16X. The 8X media I burn at 8X. The DL media, I think I used the default speed in ImgBurn. I don't burn those very often. Oh, and I use TY minus iin both speeds. The only reason I still use 8X is that I have about 150 left over when I purchased a bunch a couple of years ago. But at least I know they were 'Made in Japan'.

BTW, burn time for a 16X DVD burned at 16X should be about 6 - 7 minutes. 12 X only adds a couple of minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely in the minority here, but I burn mostly to +DL. I like to be able to throw my discs in any DVD player and have them work - and that includes the one in our van ('02 Honda Odyssey).

That van was the first in the US to come from the factory with a DVD player and it's a little squirrely (the player - not the van 8) ). It will not play a single layer disc at all. Also will not play a CDR or VCD (the CD player will play CDR, but not the DVD player). But, it'll play a DL disc with no problems.

By using DLs, I also have the flexability of tossing plenty of bitrate at my encodes.

There have been times, of course, when burning a DL disc would have been a waste of disc space. Then, I'll burn to single layer and just count on not having that disc available for travel.

I only use Verbatim - both single and dual layer.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I voted combination but I rarely got to DVD(-r) anymore.

Its straight to the hard drive in divx for play on the xbox360. I'm finding single pass quantizer 2 to be my sweet spot of space/quality and keep the ac3. Gets the end result about 1/4 to 1/3 of the original size and keeps acceptable quality for me.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  19. I store all my music videos on DVD-R now.
    In the beginning, when it was on mpeg1 or mpeg-2 svcd, I burned them on cd-r. Now I encore and have them in mpeg-2 dvd, I store them on dvd-r single layers (always the cheapest ones, no coaster since now).

For my preferred videos, I also encore them to watch on my portable media player.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive just stopped buying dvr's now, with the price of hard drives dropping, and the increased speed of encoding, im just backing all my movies up to hard drive now, and converting them to mp4, 2 hour movie about 1.8 gigs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Single Layer DVD+Rs, since I received six (100 disc) packs as Christmas gifts "06 . I am down to the last 110 disc, yet I will stay with the Single Layer, due to lower cost of media. 8x burning specs have been burning well, and I set ImgBurn to task, then return at my leisure, so burn time isn't too much of a concern. As with others, I also copy to spare drive and other computers within Home LAN.
    Wink Dinkerson PhD.
    Search Comp PM
    Single-layer DVD-R, Taiyo Yuden premium-line exclusively. (For video, anyway. Obviously, transferring vinyl to CD still goes to CD-R.)

I realize this probably makes me a bit of a Luddite in the current age, but I still insist on having physical media.
    Quote Quote  
  23. 4700 movies to hard drive, skip over the DVD storage in the basement, to far to walk, 73 hard drives
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    solarblast wrote:

Obviously, transferring vinyl to CD still goes to CD-R.
    "Obviously", you can get much better results with DVD-Audio:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    solarblast wrote:

Obviously, transferring vinyl to CD still goes to CD-R.
    "Obviously", you can get much better results with DVD-Audio:
    Maybe, but once you've got DVD Audio, the flexability of where you can use it is gone. I'll stick with CDs for my vinyl transfers.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by harrisonford
    4700 movies to hard drive, skip over the DVD storage in the basement, to far to walk, 73 hard drives
    With that many movies I am surprized you remember how to walk. :wink: Most of my movie watching has been "The Wiggles" and other G-Rated movies, since the the youngest children were born. I appreciate this site tremendously for the knowledge & assistance in all of my video requirements. Who knew that kids would take up so much of my "free" time
    Wink Dinkerson PhD.
    Search Comp PM
    Specifically: Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 16x Water Shield hub printable

I use these for my home video projects. The inkjet printed results are top rate and durable (well, somewhat).
    I'm also converting my LP and cassette collection to CD-R using TY CD-R standard hub printable.

As a side note: I was obsessed for years getting a cassette deck that recorded with the same quality as the original (read: Nakamichi). Hell, my $50 m-audio sound card easily kicks my latest Nakamichi around the block, fidelity-wise, plus try buying top quality cassettes now-a-days (I stockpiled them in the late 90's and still have a dozen or two). Once I get this project finished, it's hello ebay!
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  28. DVD +/-R cost avbbout 20 to 75 cents per disc aka 4.5GB.

This is must be the best bit/0.001cents ratio we ever get. So it is a no brainer that it beats all other formats by a wide margin.

Yoda313 should work out a poll for what is most popular toilet tissue, like :

[ ] one ply
    [ ] two ply
    [ ] designer only (of course)
    [ ] warm water
    [ ] what tissue ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Single Layer DVDR. In the case of home movies, I burn two copies. One goes in the video cabinet, the other gets squirreled away in a filing cabinet next to the computer in a cakebox. That way if the disc I normally play is scratched up or otherwise unusable, I can pull the other one out and copy it and then play that one.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CogoSWSDS
    Single Layer DVDR. In the case of home movies, I burn two copies. One goes in the video cabinet, the other gets squirreled away in a filing cabinet next to the computer in a cakebox. That way if the disc I normally play is scratched up or otherwise unusable, I can pull the other one out and copy it and then play that one.

CogoSWSDS
    @ cogoswsds - you actually watch your home movies often enough to scratch them???

We should hire you out to work on network tv to make it better!! I mean some of the shows out there these days... yikes...
    Quote Quote