VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have four DVD authoring programs and none of them do exactly what I want.

Can someone recommend a good DVD authoring program that will accomplish my simple needs?

Here's what I want to do...
    I'm in the process of digitizing my collection of old VHS tapes before VCRs disappear. I have all that I need to convert them to video files and am happy with that process. However, I'd like to burn some of them to DVD disks.

I'd like a program that will:
    - Create a main menu a text title and control icons (Play & Chapters).
    - When the "Chapters" icon is selected, I want a sub-menu with a text listing of each chapter. (When a text listing is selected, it will play that chapter.)

I have:
    Wondershare DVD Creator
    WinX DVD Author
    DVD Styler Portable
    Aimersoft VideoStudio Express

I can create a DVD with all of these programs but some won't create chapters unless the input video is split into separate files. One will create chapters within one input file but will only produce a graphic icon of each chapter and will not allow text to be added.

I'd prefer freeware if available but will pay for a good program if necessary.
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Payware: DVD-Lab Pro (preferably version 2.24, IF you can find it)

Freeware: perhaps dvdauthorwithout GUIs, + you would have to learn all that XML stuff first :–(
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 12th Nov 2015 at 14:10. Reason: edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you capturing to DVD compliant MPEG2 video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Are you capturing to DVD compliant MPEG2 video?
    I think so.

I've recorded the video using Total Media Extreme. The file is in ".ts" format.
    Media Info reports:
    MPEG-TS
    1 video stream: AVC
    1 audio stream: AC-3

However, I can't import it into DVD-Lab Pro. It reports "There are no "There are no Video, Audio...."

I changed the file extension from "ts" to "MPG" and tried to import it. Then I get the message "Not a 11172-2 or 13818-2 Video Stream"
    Last edited by cottage; 12th Nov 2015 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AVC is normally Mpeg-4 which isn't DVD compliant.

The video needs to be Mpeg-2 set to the correct rersolution and framerate depending on NTSC or PAL as the final DVD format. Your location would suggest you need NTSC. Check the 'What is DVD' link at the top of the page for the full DVD requirements.

The AC3 audio is OK as long as it is 48hz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    AVC is normally Mpeg-4 which isn't DVD compliant.

The video needs to be Mpeg-2 set to the correct rersolution and framerate depending on NTSC or PAL as the final DVD format. Your location would suggest you need NTSC. Check the 'What is DVD' link at the top of the page for the full DVD requirements.

The AC3 audio is OK as long as it is 48hz.
    In one of my efforts to make this DVD, I have the video converted to VOB files.

Media info reports:
    MPEG-PS
    1 video stream: MPEG video
    1 audio stream: AC-3 (it is 48 KHz)

I've joined these files and successfully imported it to DVD-Lab Pro. However, this program seems a little more complex than I'd like. I'm still going to struggle with it but I'd appreciate any recommendation for a program that's a little more straightforward.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Its not free but you might try TMPGenc Authoring Works 5. There is a trial available for testing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd like a program that will:
    - When the "Chapters" icon is selected, I want a sub-menu with a text listing of each chapter. (When a text listing is selected, it will play that chapter.)
    Which you can do with DVDStyler.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I'd like a program that will:
    Which you can do with DVDStyler.
    Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible!), it is necessary that each chapter be added to the project as a separate title. Even then, they only appear as video icons, not text on the sub menu.

My input video is one large file and I want to somehow mark it in 15 separate chapters so that each appears on the chapter sub menu.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Its not free but you might try TMPGenc Authoring Works 5. There is a trial available for testing.
    I'll try this in the next couple of days and post back.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by cottage View Post

Unless I'm mistaken...
    You are. No authoring program requires chapters to be broken up as separate titles. Page 34 of its manual explains how to set up chapters:

http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/docs/DVDStylerManual.pdf

I don't use DVDStyler and, admittedly, they seem to make it more difficult than it should be. It's easy enough to set up chapters in DVDAuthorGUI but maybe DVDStyler has other advantages that DVDAuthorGUI doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Unless I'm mistaken
    Yes you're. Watch here for example. (Using (almost) Text buttons on a menu). Or here (Using video icons though - but almost the 2-menu setup you want)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I'm mistaken
    Yes you're. Watch here for example. (Using (almost) Text buttons on a menu). Or here (Using video icons though - but almost the 2-menu setup you want)
    Thank-you for the direction.

I followed the instructions in the video, creating 15 chapters. When I attempted to burn the ISO, I got the following error message:
    Code:
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 0.000
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 14.080
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 286.919
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 606.839
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 864.163
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 1121.854
    CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 1297.429
    INFO: Generating VTS with the following video attributes:
    INFO: MPEG version: mpeg2
    INFO: TV standard: ntsc
    INFO: Aspect ratio: 16:9
    INFO: Resolution: 720x480
    INFO: Audio ch 0 format: ac3/2ch,  48khz drc, 'en'
    ERR:  Cannot jump to chapter 8 of title 1, only 7 exist
    ERR:  in VTSM pgc 0, button button07
    Failed
    In an attempt to problem solve, I redid the video using only 5 chapters. I was successful in building the video with a two step menu just as I wanted.

I can't figure out why it failed with 15 chapters but not 5. Is there a limit that I am not aware of?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Is there a limit that I am not aware of?
    There are several limits for DVD authoring. 15 chapters doesn't transgress those. Perhaps number of buttons on a menu?

But without further info (like the .dvds project file for the failed project) it's hard to tell why your project with 15 chapters failed - except of course if you actually didn't have 15 chapters but only 7.

PS And now I actually read:

This is wrong. Stuck at 1297.429, ie only 7 chapters are defined.
    Last edited by videobruger; 13th Nov 2015 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cottage View Post
    When I attempted to burn the ISO, I got the following error message:
    Burn the ISO? You don't like to test out your DVDs before burning to disc? Or do you mean the program failed during authoring?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by cottage View Post
    When I attempted to burn the ISO, I got the following error message:
    Burn the ISO? You don't like to test out your DVDs before burning to disc? Or do you mean the program failed during authoring?
    Sorry for the shortcut on terminology.

I actually authored the DVD and saved it as an ISO on my HDD for testing.

As you imply, I already have more than enough coasters!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a limit that I am not aware of?
    There are several limits for DVD authoring. 15 chapters doesn't transgress those. Perhaps number of buttons on a menu?

But without further info (like the .dvds project file for the failed project) it's hard to tell why your project with 15 chapters failed - except of course if you actually didn't have 15 chapters but only 7.

PS And now I actually read:

This is wrong. Stuck at 1297.429, ie only 7 chapters are defined.
    I'm in the process of building a new project and spreading the chapters over more than one sub menu.

I believe that I have 15 chapters correctly set. Here is a screen shot of the chapters:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chapters.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	34485  

Quote Quote  
  18. Your chapters look OK to me.

But to avoid more coasters:

When you want some buttons to play a chapter and have a button for playing the whole title you'll need a conditional cell command for your chapters determining whether to return to the menu when a chapter has been play or continue with the next chapter.

You'll need to use two registers for this.

- Initialise two registers to the same value in the pre-commands to menus (Pic 1 in attachment: g5=1;g6=1; )
    - Make the test in the cell command (Pic2: if (g5==g6) call last menu; )
    - For the button to play the whole title make one of the registers different from the other (Pic3: g5=0;jump title 1; )
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that my computer is haunted!

I re-authored my DVD with 3 Titleset menus each with 5 buttons linked to separate chapters and everything worked.

Just out of curiosity, I re-authored that same project placing all 15 chapters on buttons on the first Titleset menu and it still worked! (i.e. what failed on my first project)

The only difference between the original failed project and the last successful project was the way that I created the chapters.
    -Originally, the DVD Styler default was to create chapters every 10 minutes (it created 5). I modified these to the correct time and added 10 chapters by typing in a new time in the video properties window and then setting them to the precise time.
    -On the successful project, I changed the DVD Styler default to create chapters every 3 minutes (to create enough chapters). Then I modified the time of each of these chapters.

I'm still playing with the cell commands suggested by videoburger. (I don't fully understand them yet but I will!)

In case I forget....
    A HUGE thank-you to everyone who has posted help. You guys are STARS!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your chapters look OK to me.

But to avoid more coasters:

When you want some buttons to play a chapter and have a button for playing the whole title you'll need a conditional cell command for your chapters determining whether to return to the menu when a chapter has been play or continue with the next chapter.

You'll need to use two registers for this.

- Initialise two registers to the same value in the pre-commands to menus (Pic 1 in attachment: g5=1;g6=1; )
    - Make the test in the cell command (Pic2: if (g5==g6) call last menu; )
    - For the button to play the whole title make one of the registers different from the other (Pic3: g5=0;jump title 1; )
    Thanks again for the tip videoburger.

I'm not sure that I completely understand. I made the additions that you suggested and it didn't work.

Here's what I'm trying to make happen:
    -Built a VMGM menu with 2 buttons (Play All {plays the whole video}, Songs{links to Titleset1})
    -Built a Titleset menu with a list of songs (chapters) in the video.
    -Buttons on the Titleset menu link to each of the chapters (songs)
    -After a song plays, I want to return to the Titleset menu where the played song is listed.

Here's what I think happens when I add your suggested cell commands:
    - Menu properties - values g5 & g6 are set to 1
    - when your button 1 is pressed, g5 is set to 0 and title 1 is played
    - when title 1 is finished, your chapter command asks if g5=g6, if so call last menu. At this point g5=0 and g6=1, therefore the menu is not recalled and the video continues to play.

I'm actually testing this on Chapter 4, so here are the changes that I think I should make:
    - Menu properties - values g5 & g6 are set to 1 (as in your Pic1)
    - Set my button properties action to "g5=0;jump title 1 chapter 4;" This sets g5 to 0 and plays Chapter 4. (similar to your Pic3)
    - Set my Chapter command to "if(g5<g6) call last menu;".(similar to your Pic2) At this time g5=0 and g6=1 so the last menu is called.
    - Once the last menu is called, g5 is reset to 1.

Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Maybe we misunderstand each others.

On your VMGM menu you have a button "Play All". This should be the button to use the command "g5=0;jump title 1;" (and the only button that does so). Not sure if that's the button you refers to with "your button 1 is pressed"

when title 1 is finished, your chapter command asks if g5=g6, if so call last menu. At this point g5=0 and g6=1, therefore the menu is not recalled and the video continues to play.
    Yes. But then your Title 1 has finished playing and execute its post-commmand (default: call last menu; - where the menus pre-command re-initialise g5/g6). You can not have Title 1 both finished to play and continue to play?

But if your test work and you're using different commands (I read you're reversing the test needing "g5=0;jump title 1 chapter n; for all your "chapter buttons" instead of just once for your "Play All" button) it's fine.
    Last edited by videobruger; 15th Nov 2015 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe we misunderstand each others.

On your VMGM menu you have a button "Play All". This should be the button to use the command "g5=0;jump title 1;" (and the only button that does so). Not sure if that's the button you refers to with "your button 1 is pressed"

when title 1 is finished, your chapter command asks if g5=g6, if so call last menu. At this point g5=0 and g6=1, therefore the menu is not recalled and the video continues to play.
    Yes. But then your Title 1 has finished playing and execute its post-commmand (default: call last menu; - where the menus pre-command re-initialise g5/g6). You can not have Title 1 both finished to play and continue to play?

But if your test work and you're using different commands (I read you're reversing the test needing "g5=0;jump title 1 chapter n; for all your "chapter buttons" instead of just once for your "Play All" button) it's fine.

Here are screenshots of the cell commands that I have added.
    -I believe that the "Play All" button on the VMGM menu will simply play the whole video. (VMGM Play All_Properties.jpg)
    -Selecting the second button (Songs) on the VMGM menu will take me to the Titleset menu
    -The remaining 3 images show the commands that I believe will take me to chapter 4 and return me to the Titleset menu after the chapter has played.

Correct?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes.

But note: You have ticked "Play all titles" check box for button 1 on the VMGM menu. This has NO effect. You only have 1 title. The checkbox is for the case with more titles in a titleset where you start by playing the title selected (say title 3) and the remaining titles in the titleset. (And any cell commands you use would take precedence)

I made the additions that you suggested and it didn't work.
    Which is probably because you didn't set g5/g6 to 1 in the VMGM menu pre-command (both are initialised to 0 before the VMGM menu is entered so when using g5=0; jump titleset 1 title 1; for a Play all button they will still both be 0 and a cell command as if(g5==g6) call last menu; would call the last menu.

PS: You know you could just place the "Play All" on your VTS menu and delete the VMGM menu?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VMGM Play All_Properties.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	34499  

Last edited by videobruger; 15th Nov 2015 at 16:34. Reason: PS
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.

But note: You have ticked "Play all titles" check box for button 1 on the VMGM menu. This has NO effect. You only have 1 title. The checkbox is for the case with more titles in a titleset where you start by playing the title selected (say title 3) and the remaining titles in the titleset. (And any cell commands you use would take precedence)

I made the additions that you suggested and it didn't work.
    Which is probably because you didn't set g5/g6 to 1 in the VMGM menu pre-command (both are initialised to 0 before the VMGM menu is entered so when using g5=0; jump titleset 1 title 1; for a Play all button they will still both be 0 and a cell command as if(g5==g6) call last menu; would call the last menu.

PS: You know you could just place the "Play All" on your VTS menu and delete the VMGM menu?
    OK. I believe that I have it. My DVD is doing everything that I want.

BTW videoburger....
    Did you produce and post the YouTube video that you recommended? If so, Great Job! It was extremely helpful. I have now learned to use and love VideoStyler.

Once again - A Huge Thank-You!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Good it worked out.

Yes I made the first of the two Youtube videos I linked to - and you're wellcome.
    Quote Quote