VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All.
    I've downloaded an Avi file and I converted it with TmpgEnc to Mpg file.
    i burn the Mpg file with NeroExpress to Vcd.
    When i see the movie in my dvd, sometimes there are squares over the screen.
    my computer is pentum 2.8 and i have 512 Mb Ram (DDR).
    i burn in a sloe speed (*4).
    10X in Advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you supply a screen shot? Do you mean "it breaks up into big pixels of random colors" then it's a bad burn and/or bad media. Try another make of CD-R or try a CD-RW. Do you mean "a nice pattern of squares moving across the screen" it's a codec problem.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi.
    i Think its the burning.
    how can I prevent this squares ?
    i burn in *4 speed.
    please advise me...
    10x
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like cheap media is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VCDs are prone to macro blocking(square on screen).

Upgrade to SVCD or DVD formats.
    Check under WHAT IS for details.
    <---------------------
    Quote Quote  
  6. hi.
    the cd is TDK and i tried it with Silver Line Either.
    i got the same results.
    my DVD doesnt read Svcd.
    how can i increase the burning quality?
    i know the problem is not in my Pc (Pentum 4, 2.8 and 512 DDR).
    i am desprate!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try SVCD with VCD Header Trick. Guides left. (Basically, it tricks the DVD player that refuses to play SVCD by disguising it as a VCD).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Try SVCD with VCD Header Trick. Guides left. (Basically, it tricks the DVD player that refuses to play SVCD by disguising it as a VCD).

/Mats
    Hello,

That can work sometimes. I used it on my sony dvps360 but it kept on being out of synch. Use a cdrw first to make sure you don't burn a coaster .

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. please, try to answer my first question (Sorry for being rood).
    When i see the movie in my dvd, sometimes there are squares over the screen.
    my computer is pentum 2.8 and i have 512 Mb Ram (DDR).
    i burn in a slow speed (*4).
    How can I increase the burning Quality?
    Quote Quote  
  10. how big is the size of the square? When you watch it as avi on your compujter, does it have those squares too?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I see you convert your avi to vcd. Vcd is really bad for fast moving or action scene. You will get lot of pixelation in Vcd during action scene. You should convert your avi to Dvd(mpeg2), it will give you better result, but will require dvd burner to burn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Could you supply a screen shot? Do you mean "it breaks up into big pixels of random colors" then it's a bad burn and/or bad media. Try another make of CD-R or try a CD-RW. Do you mean "a nice pattern of squares moving across the screen" it's a codec problem.

/Mats
    'Scuse me for beeing rude, but to get help, you'd better answer some questions yourself!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. The squares are caused by the low bitrate of VCD not being able to represent all the video information. This is NOT a symptom of improper encoding, bad media, or a bad burn - except in the case of data errors as explained above.

The only way to fix this and stay with VCD is to use smoothing or blurring filters to reduce the amount of video data. You could also try some of the "X" variants which may very likely play. Start with SeVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. hi.
    after converting the movie to mpg file I can see it fine over my PC.
    the problems begn after i convert it and watch it with my DVD player. the movie breaks up into big pixels of random colors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now we're talking! Bad / incompatible media or bad burn.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  16. hi.
    I know its a bad burn.The problem is not in the CD (my friend burn the same movie with the same media in his Pc and results were good).
    how can i Increase the burning quality?
    i burn in *4 speed....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me see: You have one mpeg that's authored using identical methods on 2 different systems, written to identical media. On CD works, the other not. If that is repeatable (to eliminate the risk of bad individual CD-R) I can't come to any other conclution than that it's the CD writer that is the problem.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  18. 10x.
    i will try it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. try different media or burner.
    also, please fill out your computer profile.
    edited for content.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hey overclockxp....the guy is saying 'thanks' with that '10X'...not that he's going to burn at 10x...*lol* So he's a little demanding...I'd say he does better with English than I would with Chinese, or Russian...or whatver. Cut him some slack since English is obviously not his first language. One more thing...how does the number of posts equate to good...or bad...advice? Just because someone is a post-whore, doesn't mean that he/she is knowledgable.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Friend, you have downloaded the source from the Internet, hence most probably the bitrate of the video may be low. Secondly the Computer monitor has a high resolution compared to Television so the resolution of 352x288 or so, occupies only a fourth of the whole monitor space and the video appears to be smaller which steals away the details. Hence you cannot see the blocks in a monitor.

Most probably there is no error in any of your Hardware. To confirm this, try ripping a minute of video from any good VCD and encode it and view in the Television. Everything will be fine. Okay?
    Quote Quote